• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Likelihood of Vettori ever returning to test cricket.

Likelihood of Vettori ever returning to test cricket

• 0 - 25%

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • 26 - 50%

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 51 - 75%

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 76 - 100%

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Blocky

Banned
As per the poll, what do you guys rate as the likelihood of him ever returning to test cricket.

I've gone between 26% and 50%. I think he has a desire to get to 400 wickets and if he gets his body into any sort of shape, he's still good enough to hold his test spot. I just think at the moment bowling more than ten overs is beyond him, so it'll take some amazing rehabilitation and recovery from the problems he's had.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon the World Cup will be his swansong, particularly if we do as well in it as I hope we do, and I don't see him playing any Tests in the interim. So I've gone 0-25%.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
This is so awesome, a bit of a strange one given that it's one-off if it happens but awesome all the same

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
but tbh, the most value Vettori would add to our team would be as the sole spinner, not one of 3 spinners on a bunsen.

Blocky

Banned
This is so awesome, a bit of a strange one given that it's one-off if it happens but awesome all the same
Don't kid yourself, it might be sold as a one off at the moment but if Vettori came back and performed well (And got closer to his long held 400 wickets goal) then I think you'd suddenly see him become "Available" in general for tests.

Blocky

Banned
but tbh, the most value Vettori would add to our team would be as the sole spinner, not one of 3 spinners on a bunsen.
I dunno, my experience with Vettori is that he generates wickets for other players - you tend to see some pretty **** dismissals happen quite regularly at the other end when he's bowling - that could be great news for the Andersons, Sodhis and Craigs.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't kid yourself, it might be sold as a one off at the moment but if Vettori came back and performed well (And got closer to his long held 400 wickets goal) then I think you'd suddenly see him become "Available" in general for tests.
I really don't think he'll be fit enough to do that, again I'd love to see it but he's barely fit enough to play a single test as part of a 3-man spin attack, no way he'd get himself together to be the lone spinner back home IMO, this really seems like a "can you help us one last time?" kind of thing from the selectors to me

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno, my experience with Vettori is that he generates wickets for other players - you tend to see some pretty **** dismissals happen quite regularly at the other end when he's bowling - that could be great news for the Andersons, Sodhis and Craigs.
That's my point exactly. From the reports he's only going to be bowling 10-15 overs an innings, which is not exactly "tying down an end".

There's very little point in Vettori playing as a strike bowler, IMO.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan v New Zealand 2014-15 : Daniel Vettori set for shock Test return | Cricket News | Pakistan v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

"From the first two Tests it's been pretty clear how important spin is in these conditions and we expect the pitch in Sharjah to be the slowest of all three wickets," New Zealand coach Mike Hesson said. "The possibility of having three bowlers who can exploit those conditions is an exciting option for us to have."

"Dan obviously has an incredible amount of experience and has shown how effective he can be in these sorts of conditions," Hesson said. "It doesn't mean that Dan will play in Tests for us in the future, but it's a great opportunity to use him in this one-off unique situation."

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
I really don't think he'll be fit enough to do that, again I'd love to see it but he's barely fit enough to play a single test as part of a 3-man spin attack, no way he'd get himself together to be the lone spinner back home IMO, this really seems like a "can you help us one last time?" kind of thing from the selectors to me
He had an achilles problem and a bad back, from the reports I've seen his back is much better and he's fitter now than he has been in a number of years.. his big concern was that he felt the Achilles might be a degenerative thing that will get worse the more overs he bowls, which makes him less likely to want to play tests.

But say he comes in, bowls 30-40 overs in the match and generates 4-6 wickets for the side - you're kidding yourself if the pressure doesn't absolutely go on him staying and playing test cricket... especially if say Sodhi and Craig continue to be dispatched at over 50 per wicket.

Blocky

Banned
It's an interesting catch twenty-two "We're bringing him in because of a unique situation" - but considering neither spin bowler has really taken their chances and they're both young enough (in theory) to go away and develop and have time to return, if Vettori is still our best test option (and his body can now take the rigors of test cricket) - it should be a no brainer, but watch NZ Cricket make a mess out of it all.