• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Give the game back to Channel 4

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Reading the article, it doesnt surprise me on the decline on people playing..We are all busy people and there seems to be even more of a burden of extra games and numerous cups even in local league level cricket. Our league has three limited over cups a, T20 cup and the league fixtures so that's a lot of time..not sure what the remedy is but I can understand why people are now giving up( there's also the financial impact of this too I suppose)

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Say what you will about CA, but getting 1,000,000 plus eyeballs on the Big Bash, on Free-To-Air, is massive in terms of engagement. Think this may be the chance to repackage your T20 competition.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just think it'd get shoved on ITV4 or whatever and get even fewer viewers than on Sky Sports. Dunno.

It's a tough one because on the one hand you do want kids exposed to cricket on FTA - but on the other hand Sky have done an incredible job with it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember Neil and other English fans being so upset when Sky Sports got it, and then arguing against it going back to C4 years later. Cracked me up hard.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I just think it'd get shoved on ITV4 or whatever and get even fewer viewers than on Sky Sports. Dunno.

It's a tough one because on the one hand you do want kids exposed to cricket on FTA - but on the other hand Sky have done an incredible job with it.
Sky do a great job with the Tests; their domestic ODI games just seem like the guys are there to get the cheque at the end of the day at times. That's what's good about having some different voices do one part of the season, and a T20 competition is perfect for it.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wasn't in Australia for the Big Bash last yer; how were the Channel 10 commentators? Did they have all the gadgets the C9 guys have/anything new?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Say what you will about CA, but getting 1,000,000 plus eyeballs on the Big Bash, on Free-To-Air, is massive in terms of engagement. Think this may be the chance to repackage your T20 competition.
Up to 100K on most of the domestic ODers is pretty good too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I wasn't in Australia for the Big Bash last yer; how were the Channel 10 commentators? Did they have all the gadgets the C9 guys have/anything new?
Commentators were in the main fantastic; the ex-cricketers were super, issue were the other Ch 10 guys. All the same gadgets, maybe not hot spot?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Their token gimmick was a d-grade celeb in a penned off area who, if he took a catch off a six, would win a home viewer some cash.

They also hung their hat on having more cameras at the games than ever before, from memory.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The ECB really needs to take a long hard look at the domestic game in England, how it's run and marketed. They need to start with T20 (Eoin Morgan criticised it last week) but the entire game needs an overhaul.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There should be no giving the game to anyone. If they want it then they can pay for it. Im all for cricket being on FTA but they have to make an effort as well. The main network broadcasters are not willing to really be competitive despite making certain noises. The BBC being the worst having completely abandoned the game. **** terrestrial TV if they are not willing and they are not.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
There should be no giving the game to anyone. If they want it then they can pay for it. Im all for cricket being on FTA but they have to make an effort as well. The main network broadcasters are not willing to really be competitive despite making certain noises. The BBC being the worst having completely abandoned the game. **** terrestrial TV if they are not willing and they are not.
I sort of agree but I also understand the fta channels. The time has gone for such channels to invest heavily in a sport only to watch the rain come down. They would basically pay to disrupt all their other programmes. Cricket will obviously continue for a long time yet. It gets the second highest ratings on sky but it seems to be in steady long term decline in England especially relative to other sports. Test crowds are slipping now as well. Looking at the kind of relationship Wimbledon tennis and 6-nations rugby have with the BBC really shows crickets problems.

Any solution have to include roofed venues. In the short term, if England want any kind of big bash tournament, they have to look at the millennium stadium. Its the only way its possible. Without guaranteed play its just to risky financially.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Over here, FTA channels are investing quite a bit in sport, because it's something that has to be watched live, which means you can't Sky Plus it and skip the ads or watch it on a streaming service. Fair to say the same thing isn't happening in England?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is an interesting point... Watching it live has to be one of THE biggest selling points for anything on TV.. Otherwise, in this day and age, you can just youtube anything.. I have not watched anything other than cricket or tennis on TV in more than a year...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Over here, FTA channels are investing quite a bit in sport, because it's something that has to be watched live, which means you can't Sky Plus it and skip the ads or watch it on a streaming service. Fair to say the same thing isn't happening in England?
If you look at how US broadcasters have evolved then live broadcasts are King for exactly the reasons you described. Everything can now be Sky Plused, torrented or watched online. Sports events have to be watched live or they lose value and broadcasters need those eyes on their advertisements. This isnt relevant to BBC but in the UK other broadcasters are slow to pick up on this.

In the US the value of all live sports - including marginal leagues such as MLS - have gone through the roof as this type of live content is golden to advertisers.