• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Virat Kohli rank amongst the ATG ODI batsmen?

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Recently had a discussion with a friend who made a case for Virat and said he is amongst the top ten ODI batsmen ever. He recently broke Sir Viv's record of being the quickest to reach 6k runs. If he scores 132+ in the next two ODIs, he would have scored more than 1k runs in the last five year, which is simply remarkable. Personally, I didn't agree with it. I had him in top twenty but not top ten. But the more I think about it, the more I feel he is in the top ten. What do you guys reckon? Where is he amongst the best ever ODI batsmen?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Number 1 for ***iest, and definitely top 20 all time. Top 10 is debatable in terms of whether you have length of years as longevity more valuable than number of matches.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm intrigued morgie, do you really believe Kohli has the biggest **** amongst all the ATGs?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I guess it comes down to how you factor in the improvements in one day batting - or ease, if you think it's just become easier - relative to previous eras. Guys these days just build up such better numbers than those of previous generations and Kohli is at the forefront of that, but he probably hasn't dominated his peers to the same extent previous greats have.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The third best number 3 in ODI history after Viv and Punter.

This one's for you, Jono

dermo

International Vice-Captain
india play a stupid amount of odi's so he's going to end up with ATG numbers even if his form dips

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kohli has 20 ODI centuries. However, in Australia, England, New Zealand and West Indies he has a sum total of 4, and none in SA yet. I am not saying that Kohli is can't play outside the subcontinent, just that as he makes more hundreds outside the subcontinent, against the better test nations, his ODI stock in ATG sense will rise.

When people remember great ODI players, they remember the careers but they also remember knocks in key games. A lot of ODIs which are played are not of huge importance and have a lot of players missing. Some matches, games and tournaments become of bigger importance. When people remember Yuvraj's ODI career, they remember his world cup knocks, say. Kohli has had splendid innings but he is yet to play his most memorable ones in that sense.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
india play a stupid amount of odi's so he's going to end up with ATG numbers even if his form dips
Playing more ODIs is worse for your average though, not better. No one is calling Mahela an ATG ODI player with 12k runs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd be wrong if Mahela is an all time great ODI batsman. But he's not so I'm okay.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You said no one is calling him an ATG ODI player. Dermo clearly is. You're wrong.