• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Virat Kohli rank amongst the ATG ODI batsmen?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mahela Jayawardene is very much an all time great.

From 2005 or so, Jayawardene's ODI career has followed a weird trend. Following are his averages 2005 on -

2005 - 40
2006 - 40
2007 - 37.5
2008 - 28
2009 - 25
2010 - 42
2011 - 47
2012 - 31
2013 - 32
2014 - 31.5

Jayawardene had a key role to play in Sri Lanka's performances in the last two world cups. He almost won it for them in 2011. The last inning he played v India, he had impeccable timing and looks to be back in form again, just head of the world cup. Jayawardene has done enough in his career to be considered an all time great.

in 2007 WC - 548 runs @ 60.
in 2011 WC - 304 runs @ 50.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli has 20 ODI centuries. However, in Australia, England, New Zealand and West Indies he has a sum total of 4, and none in SA yet. I am not saying that Kohli is can't play outside the subcontinent, just that as he makes more hundreds outside the subcontinent, against the better test nations, his ODI stock in ATG sense will rise.

When people remember great ODI players, they remember the careers but they also remember knocks in key games. A lot of ODIs which are played are not of huge importance and have a lot of players missing. Some matches, games and tournaments become of bigger importance. When people remember Yuvraj's ODI career, they remember his world cup knocks, say. Kohli has had splendid innings but he is yet to play his most memorable ones in that sense.
You should check his average in those countries rather than the number of hundreds.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top-10 already for mine and I believe he'll overtake them all (I maintain he'll score more tons than Sachin). Hasn't had an easy ride, scored a lot of those runs in big chases and tough situations too.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
If Kohli has a gun WC it will add massively to his record as I am more likely to rate a limited overs cricketer higher if their WC record is good. Yuvi only averages 36 odd, but in WC's its 50+ IIRC which is why I consider him one of the better ODI players.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top 10 but it is difficult to know exactly where in the top 10 as different people will have different views as to what is more important. For example are Bevan and Dhoni who are two of the best finishers in ODI history more of an asset than say a Ponting, Tendulkar or Kohli?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
All of those players are more of an asset than Kohli.

Especially Bevan. Who incidentally was a much better player of the short ball than is Sangakarra.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tendulkar
Watson
V.Richards
AB DeVilliers
Dhoni
Miandad
Symonds
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

He's not in my definitive ATG XI.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I guess it comes down to how you factor in the improvements in one day batting - or ease, if you think it's just become easier - relative to previous eras. Guys these days just build up such better numbers than those of previous generations and Kohli is at the forefront of that, but he probably hasn't dominated his peers to the same extent previous greats have.
Think he has risen well above the rate of inflation. In a period of batsmen being asked of more and more in ODIs he has consistently led the way in showing what they're capable of.

Howe_zat

Audio File
At the last world cup I remember trying to argue with people here that he should be in the India side ahead of Yusuf Pathan.

Yusuf ****ing Pathan.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think he has risen well above the rate of inflation. In a period of batsmen being asked of more and more in ODIs he has consistently led the way in showing what they're capable of.
Oh without a doubt he's right up their for players this era as well? But significantly more so than Amla and de Villiers? I'm not so sure. He plays significantly more cricket that significantly more people care about, but that doesn't make him levels above.

Edit: Hussey another to add to the group of stupidly good recent one day batsman.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Let me put it this way - he's had as good 6 years as anyone really, except in the 2011 world cup.

He has to continue this run for 4 more years including a very good run in a WC before I put him with the very best (i.e. Richards, Tendulkar, Ponting, Bevan, Abbas, Dhoni, Gilchrist).

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
9 of his twenty centuries are against sri lanka bangladesh or zimbawe , which is a bit meh.. But he is really really good.. Top 15 of all time. Just a matter of longevity really.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let me put it this way - he's had as good 6 years as anyone really, except in the 2011 world cup.

He has to continue this run for 4 more years including a very good run in a WC before I put him with the very best (i.e. Richards, Tendulkar, Ponting, Bevan, Abbas, Dhoni, Gilchrist).
Deanoooooooo! Gilchrist had quite a downturn tbh, even if he was spectacular from time to time.