• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can’t believe we pulled it off :D

Without David contributing too, bloody huge win that. Up there with the Nepal and Zimbabwe wins.
Scotland are probably the biggest scalp of the lot in this format, even ignoring that this was a much more important game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scotland are probably the biggest scalp of the lot in this format, even ignoring that this was a much more important game.
I think in terms of importance, beating Nepal in that knockout was the highest - we wouldn't even be here otherwise. I rate that very highly as it paved the way for this little run of success we've had of late.

I'm not sure how to rank the three teams though, but I'll take your word that this Scotland team is better than the Nepal and Zimbabwe ones we beat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think in terms of importance, beating Nepal in that knockout was the highest - we wouldn't even be here otherwise. I rate that very highly as it paved the way for this little run of success we've had of late.

I'm not sure how to rank the three teams though, but I'll take your word that this Scotland team is better than the Nepal and Zimbabwe ones we beat.
Yeah true enough about the Nepal game.

Scotland and Zimbabwe are hard to split when Zimbabwe are at full strength (I'm not including fantasy picks like Cremer or Ballance here -- I just mean when they're not resting players and half the regular squad isn't on strike). The Scotland team you beat was pretty conclusively better than the Zimbabwe one you beat though IMO.

cnerd123

likes this
PNG are on fire atm. Two massive wins in a row.
They're a very good T20 outfit. Full of hard hitting alrounders. Mean batting depth, plenty of bowling options, good in the field. Vala and Ura being in form makes them so much more dangerous. They could qualify here.

cnerd123

likes this
Poor batting effort. Going to need something special with the ball.

Sucks so much to lose so many key players before a tournament like this. I tired to make an XI of cricketers who could still be playing for HK right now, but aren't for various reasons. I got ten names:

Anshuman Rath* (left for India)
Chris Carter+ (retired to be pilot)
Babar Hayat (withdrawn)
Mark Chapman (left for NZ)
Irfan Ahmed (banned)
Tanwir Afzaal (withdrawn)
Ehsan Nawaz (withdrawn)
Nadeem Ahmed (banned)
Tanveer Ahmed (withdrawn)
Haseeb Amjad (banned)

The current squad is young and mostly home-grown, which is good, but how on Earth are we going to keep them and develop them until the next big opportunity like this comes along?

The bright side for HK right now is that their two toughest games came up first. Both Oman and Ireland are amongst the favourites to make the next stage. Not great to start with two losses, as it puts them under pressure, but they can expect easier games to come and can hopefully build some momentum going towards the end of this tournament. Just need to finish in the Top 4, and then all you have to do is win one more game from there.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugh Tucker and Leverock ruining it a bit. We should chase this though but I'm fairly certain it won't be a cakewalk.

cnerd123

likes this
Hong Kong bowling well here - Oman 46/3 in 9 overs. Keeping this interesting. C'mon Ehsan Khan, please bowl us to victory here.

cnerd123

likes this
game basically over for HK here. Needed more runs with the bat, or to be better with the ball. Bowled well but have given them enough freebies to score off, missed a few 50/50 runout chances. and haven't had luck with balls in the air landing safe. No margin for error when defending 102.

Must win game vs UAE tomorrow.