• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit confused. Firstly aren't there only 11 full nations now Zimbabwe are gone?

Secondly why is it the full nations plus Netherlands not Scotland? Aren't Scotland way more legit?

Lastly who are 'Jersey' in group B of the challenge league? New Jersey?

cnerd123

likes this
Lol Jersey are a country. Look it up.

Scotland didn't finish high enough on the WCL 2 when it happened. Finished behind Netherlands. That put them behind, even though since then they've arguably been the better side, if not one of the best in the Associate world. That's the problem with the convoluted qualification systems and pathways.

Good point regarding Zimbabwe. I don't think it's been made clear yet who will take their sport in the Super League

mr_mister

Good point regarding Zimbabwe. I don't think it's been made clear yet who will take their sport in the Super League

1 out of 3 then hah

And hmm. Maybe Scotland will leap frog the Dutch and auto replace Zimbabwe? Or at least take 13th spot if it goes to the dutch

They beat the current world champions at full strength didn't they?

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I think if any team deserves to be in the top 13 ODI nations ATM it's Scotland

But then who takes Scotland's place in League 2? I'd pray for HK, but HK have their first round of Challenge League B locked and loaded for this November

cnerd123

likes this
My guess is they'll keep the ODI Super League to just 12 nations if Zimbabwe are still suspended by then. Only 7 of the 12 make it through anyways, and they can bring in one more team from the Play Off to make up the numbers at the WC Qualifiers

mr_mister

I like that idea actually. Having 3 rather than 2 teams advancing through the WC qualifiers seems fair as the last one was of high quality.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yea I think if any team deserves to be in the top 13 ODI nations ATM it's Scotland

But then who takes Scotland's place in League 2? I'd pray for HK, but HK have their first round of Challenge League B locked and loaded for this November
I don’t think it’ll be that hard to swap HK out. Just a minor cost with cancelling flights I suppose. The rest of the logistics can remain for the Play Off team that comes up into League 2.

cnerd123

likes this
I don’t think it’ll be that hard to swap HK out. Just a minor cost with cancelling flights I suppose. The rest of the logistics can remain for the Play Off team that comes up into League 2.
Its more the backlash and how bad it will look to cancel a tournament that's been in planning for months on such short notice. It's not just money, it's the work that has gone in by all the sports associations and government bodies.

Throws the entire Challenge League structure into the air too.

I mean, I'm all for it if it means more ODIs for HK but its not going to be a popular decision lol.

Daemon

Its more the backlash and how bad it will look to cancel a tournament that's been in planning for months on such short notice. It's not just money, it's the work that has gone in by all the sports associations and government bodies.

Throws the entire Challenge League structure into the air too.

I mean, I'm all for it if it means more ODIs for HK but its not going to be a popular decision lol.
Wait why does it throw the structure off if you just swap HK with whoever’s next in line?

cnerd123

likes this
Wait why does it throw the structure off if you just swap HK with whoever’s next in line?
It throws it off if Challenge League B has 5 teams. If you just swap HK out then it's fine, but it's gonna be a massive pain given HK are hosting the first tournament.And that's assuming HK even deserve that 13th slot :ph34r:

Suppose the ICC could move a team up from League 2 into the Super League, but then you still need an extra team from the Playoffs to make up the numbers at WCQ, or bring in an extra team from the Challenge Leagues into the Playoffs

Daemon

Oh didn’t know Challenge B was in HK. One of the African nations in the group to host then?

If the costs involved aren’t too high then it may be worth it. Otherwise the easy way out is just to keep the Super League as is and promote an extra team from the WC Qualifiers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Aren't the current protests doing that anyway?

cnerd123

likes this
This is what they'll do IMO.
Don't even need to promote an extra team from WCQs tho. 7+India out of the 12 Super League teams will move to the actual WC. 2 teams from the WCQs can stay as is.

What they'll need is one extra team in the WCQs, because only 4 will be going into it from the Super League instead of 5. That one extra spot can be taken up by a third team moving up from the playoffs instead of 2.

That might actually be easier than 6+India and 3 WCQ teams.

Daemon

Don't even need to promote an extra team from WCQs tho. 7+India out of the 12 Super League teams will move to the actual WC. 2 teams from the WCQs can stay as is.

What they'll need is one extra team in the WCQs, because only 4 will be going into it from the Super League instead of 5. That one extra spot can be taken up by a third team moving up from the playoffs instead of 2.

That might actually be easier than 6+India and 3 WCQ teams.
Ah yeah, you're right. That makes the most sense if logistics is a problem.

Daemon

No good from Scotland against Oman. They've just collapsed in a heap against the spinners it seems.

cnerd123

likes this
Might be enough tbh. Never know with the pitches at Associate level. There is a live stream apparently but I haven't tuned in. Are you watching?

Daemon

Nah was on the Ashes for a while then ended up spending an hour on aliexpress buying fishing lures lol.

_Ed_

Interesting to see Cameron Gannon playing for the USA in the T20 World Cup Qualifier. Useful Aus domestic performer.