• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What are the eligibility rules for Jersey though? Could well imagine there's some decent cricketers with historic links to there.

Chubb

International Regular
What are the eligibility rules for Jersey though? Could well imagine there's some decent cricketers with historic links to there.
There'll be a few ex high level club/school and even county players who have moved there for work in the banking industry or other jobs as well. Ryan Driver who played a few games for Lancashire was one.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Namibia on the ropes in game two vs. Honkers. 25/7 at the moment. Mind you, they won game one despite a top order collapse, but I suspect this could be a bridge too far. Certainly some top order issues,maven though Snyman and Wiliams are both playing.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Changes at the helm for HK. Jamie Atkinson has stepped down after the Namibia tour and HK have a new Captain and a 20 year old Vice Captain ( who was not in the HK Squad in Namibia) for the ICC T20 WC Qualifier in July. Interesting.

Tanwir Afzal (capt), Mark Chapman (vc), Aizaz Khan, Anas Khan, Anshuman Rath, Babar Hayat, Ehsan Nawaz, Haseeb Amjad, Irfan Ahmed, Jamie Atkinson(wk), Kinchit Shah, Nadeem Ahmed, Nizakat Khan, Waqas Barkat, Waqas Khan

"The selectors have had a tough job, however, this would have to be one of the strongest squads we have ever had," Charlie Burke, the director of Hong Kong cricket, said. "The T20 format best suited us and I'm confident that we will qualify for the World Twenty20 again. The tournament requires us to play our best cricket from the first match, hence we are going to the venues earlier to prepare and get the right balance in the team."

Afzal to lead Hong Kong in World T20 Qualifier | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
and a 20 year old Vice Captain ( who was not in the HK Squad in Namibia) for the ICC T20 WC Qualifier in July. Interesting.
Hmmm, interesting indeed.

Tanwir Afzal (capt), Mark Chapman (vc), Aizaz Khan, Anas Khan, Anshuman Rath, Babar Hayat, Ehsan Nawaz, Haseeb Amjad, Irfan Ahmed, Jamie Atkinson(wk), Kinchit Shah, Nadeem Ahmed, Nizakat Khan, Waqas Barkat, Waqas Khan
Ah. I see. Not that interesting after all.

cnerd123

likes this
He's been around HK Cricket for ages, hardly a surprise appointment for VC.

Probably missed qualifiers due to personal reasons. HK Cricketers are only part-time athletes after all; they all have school/work commitments.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
He's been around HK Cricket for ages, hardly a surprise appointment for VC.

Probably missed qualifiers due to personal reasons. HK Cricketers are only part-time athletes after all; they all have school/work commitments.
Thanks for that.
I thought the core of this HK Squad were on player contracts, not part timers like the new VC. Was told the current HK team is built around youngsters who played in the 2010 ICC U-19 World Cup in NZ v the likes of Root, Stokes etc. And HK 's domestic league(s) are populated by expats on short term contracts in the business world -finance, law ,teaching et al. So not a lot of eligible players to choose from. The sub continent had a strong influence in British HK - soldiers, police, prison officers etc- and given cricket history in HK (since 1850) and its mobile population HK has been a net exporter of talent .

Sam Hain

Ben Stevens | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Unlike ODI ranked Associates HK cricket does not have a Full Member next door (Ireland/Scotland - ECB, PNG - CA, Afghanistan - PAK , Namibia - SA etc) so they do ok. Used to have a decent Sixes tournament too !

cnerd123

likes this
Sixes have been cancelled lately because it wasn't profitable to run anymore. Not a large local audience to tap into, and cricketers are paid a lot more than they used to be. Plus there are more lucrative uses of the land.

Not sure if anyone is on contract tbh. As far as I remember there were quite a few cricketers who worked on the side. I even met one who was planning to leave HK soon to return to Ranji cricket as an umpirer/scorer. But then again I have never talked to any of the core players, so don't know. I'll ask someone next time I get the chance and see what's actually happening.

It's true the league is full of expats. Lots of politics as well - you can't simply select the best XI, you also have to select the old guys who have been around for ages and whose time/effort/money went into setting up the club to begin with. And yea no countries nearby have teams of a similar skill set - although I suppose the HK guys could call over Nepal once in a while.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Found a report on HK Player Contracts. Relatively modest sums.

Central contracts for nine Hong Kong players | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

One recent ICC decision resulted in the winding up of Asian Cricket Council(ACC) by ICC at the end of this month. The ACC has done superb cricket development work, at Age group level ,for years throughout the massive footprint which is Asia/Middle East. Their HQ in KL will close in 4 weeks and jobs will be lost. Associate and Affiliate countries as diverse as Nepal,Thailand, Bhutan, Myanmar, China, Maldives, Iran, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Oman have advanced their cricket as a result.HK cricket will be affected at development level.

ACC DEMERGER IN RESPONSE TO ICC RESTRUCTURING

cnerd123

likes this
That A Grade contract sum is below the average salary for a university graduate in HK.

They all will almost certainly have some sort of job or part-time work on the side. Don't know if any of the guys on contract are still studying.