• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Andrew Nixon sends in a tweet that gets read on air!

Massive PlanetCricket flashback. He used to hate me on there. I think I lead a campaign to get him kicked off the mod team. Good times.
Haha an interesting chap. I think I ran into him on Wikipedia.

He's the guy who believes all Tests are friendlies and not proper competitions, right?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
With this win, HK to lead the table with solid run rate

Edit: actually this will strengthen their position as they are already on top

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Haha an interesting chap. I think I ran into him on Wikipedia.

He's the guy who believes all Tests are friendlies and not proper competitions, right?
Cant remember any opinions he holds. I just remember really not liking him for some reason. I think he has a blog somewhere?

Camo999

State 12th Man
Ah didn't realise there was a stream! Probably a good thing on this occasion but will be tuning into the other matches.

What happened to Scotland?
What a disastrous result! Bowled out in less than 40, scoring less than 4 per over! Not too many positives. Maybe Ali Evans continuing his good form. Surely one of the best associate bowlers around now. MacLeod scoring a few after a shocking 2015. No one else even facing 30 balls let alone scoring 30 runs is disappointing. Hopefully that was the bad one out of the system and we can now see a competitive remainder of the series.

Surprised we didn't select a spinner or bowl even one over of spin in this match given we're soon heading into a T20WC in India. How is Majid Haq still not even in the squad? Would also like to see Leask get some decent opportunities with the bat heading into the T20WC too. When he does play, he seems to bat way too low in the order to have much impact.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Got invited to a reception for the Scotland side this Tuesday.

Tempted to go but am a bit worried I'll be too star struck to talk to anyone.
The Question on everyone's lips ? Did ***** go to the Reception !!
If so,how were the Scots after their unexpected pummelling by HK?
Named in the HK Squad - Is Chapman expected to play any games ?

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't go. Would have been so out of place. Al the HKCA staff and the men and womens teams and officials and the scots...and then me. Nah.

The next game is tomorrow. I have no idea if Chapman is flying in for it.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Ryan Campbell named in the HK WT20 squad is an interesting move. Is he in line to play over the next few days too? Apparently weather still not too flash. We likely to get much play in the remaining games?

brockley

International Captain
Yeh Chapman flying in will be with the Hong Kong squad until the World T20 world cup,Campbell playing is a shock.He just got a contract with Auckland.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Yeh Chapman flying in will be with the Hong Kong squad until the World T20 world cup,Campbell playing is a shock.He just got a contract with Auckland.
Campbell's selection ( 44 year old Australian batting coach parachuted in for the T20 WC) very surprising given HK CEO Cutler's quest for acceptance of HK as a predominantly homegrown squad. Not a politically savvy move by HK. One can hear the critics sharpening their knives already. Will detract from the more positive aspects of HK's recent cricket development.

See its started already - Hong Kong pick 44 year old batting coach for World T20

Hong Kong have (unfairly) been maligned as a team of "ex=pats" in the past, which isn't really accurate as most of the squad is made up of players either born in Hong Kong or who learnt their cricket there.Campbell's selection will do little to dissuade people of that reputation. It is also likely to provide ammunition for the anti-associate cause.

cnerd123

likes this
The weather isn't looking flash atm. The game yesterday was rained out, and today is the reserve day, but it's still raining and the ground would have taken a battering last night, so it doesn't look good.

Campbell has HK Lineage apparently. But still an odd move for me too. With Chapman and Irfan Ahmed back for the WT20, who will be dropped from the starting XI to make space for all of them? And IDK if Campbell still keeps wicket. If he doesn't, does he field well or does he field like a 44 year old retired cricketer-turned-batting coach?

And if he doesn't play in the starting XI, then why pick him in the squad to begin with? He would already be touring with the side as their coach.

Strange decision. Lets see if it comes off.

Interview with Campbell - Hong Kong Cricket Association

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Irfan Ahmed had a suspension for not reporting a report by a bookie. I guess it won't be lifted by the time the T20 WC rolls around, so they haven't picked him yet.

If something happens between now and March and lets him return to the side, I expect he'll be picked.

cnerd123

likes this
Day 2 washed out. Sigh.

Hope weather stays clear from now till tomorrow. The T20s are this weekend, and I'll be volunteering tomorrow! So damn well better be some play.

cnerd123

likes this
They should be. I think the link should be on the HK cricket website.

No links up yet. Patrol their FB page and youtube channel. They should have one up closer to game time.

Last edited: