• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had a look to see if there was an existing thread, so if there is please merge...

Anyway - a great article on Cricinfo about PNG cricket here: Tim Wigmore on Papua New Guinea's rise | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

They're about to make their official ODI debut - taking on Hong Kong in two matches in Townsville on 11th and 13th September. Great hearing that all the PNG team (except Geraint Jones) are local home-grown players and they will count as locals for the Big Bash. Should certainly put them in a more robust position than some nations.

fredfertang

Interesting article and good to see Geraint Jones putting something back- seems like WICB could usefully watch and learn as well

HeathDavisSpeed

I like the fact that South Australia have had PNG playing in their comp - even though it's expensive for them. I couldn't see the harm in Pacific Island teams (Fiji, for example used to be more than half decent) taking part in, say the Hawke Cup in NZ.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ODI series will actually be streamed live iirc. Think I read it on the ACC facebook page.

Daemon

Nice to see a couple of Hong Kongers playing that have come from the age group system. Quite different from the side they put up in the T20 qualifiers.

cnerd123

likes this
Can't wait till HK puts out a side with a few local Chinese in them.

I think the T20 qualifier side was a serious one, aimed at winning (and hence all the seniors), while they are treating these ODIs more like developmental games for the younger talent.

stumpski

International Captain
So PNG win their first game, overcoming HK with 11 overs to spare - though at 76-5 chasing 203 it was looking dicey for them. The fifth ODI team to win their first game, the identities of the other four might surprise some ...

Daemon

Top stuff. Read a few comments saying Hong Kong underrated PNG, but I really think they didn't and they just placed more emphasis on giving a few youngsters more exposure rather than the outcome of the matches.

Good to see the dude who just turned 17 hit a 50.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Got a request for a ball-by-ball of Afghanistan giving Auckland their beans tonight.

This was a game where their teenager Usman Ghani and his opening partner put on 198 for the first wicket against an attack featuring Kyle Mills and Mitchell McClenaghan. The Afghans won by nine wickets and with about 15 overs to spare.

Rotkohl

Cricket Spectator
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but Phil Simmons is leaving his job to take up the west indies post. I'd say he did a good job with the team and was widely respected. Good luck to him with WI and let's hope ireland can find a suitable replacement

Ireland's next assignment is a home ODI against england on 8th may. I'm curious about what sort of odds the bookies will offer for that but i think we can all agree that the gap between the two teams has never been smaller? It'll be a full strength ireland vs. an england side without the test players, although they'll possibly be able to call upon the services of Moeen and Woakes. Could be a close affair IMO. The good news is that Murtagh is back in training so that should shore up the bowling a bit

Let us hope that the rain will stay away:@

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Hong Kong Cricket Association

Announcement for the Squad for the Round One of ICC Intercontinental Cup and World Cricket League Championship 2015-2017

Hong Kong Cricket Association (HKCA) announces today (27 March) that the squad for the round one of International Cricket Council Intercontinental Cup (ICC I-Cup) and World Cricket League Championship (ICC WCLC) 2015 – 2015 has been selected.

HKCA’s Director of Cricket and Head Coach Charlie Burke said, “It has been over 4 months since we last played some international cricket. And after watching the World Cup and training almost every day, the guys are as hungry as ever to do well. This is a historic tour as it will be our first ever I-Cup and World Cricket League Championship matches and the first for most to tour Africa.”

Burke add, “Missing the likes of Chapman and Rath is a big loss for us but it is a challenge for us going forward over the coming years having guys balance work/study commitments with a busy international schedule. This gives an opportunity to some of the guys like Waqas Khan, Roy Lamsam and Ankur Vasishta that haven’t had many opportunities over the last 12 months.”

The Squad for ICC I-Cup and ICC WCLC include:
Jamie Atkinson [Captain]
Waqas Barkat [Vice Captain]
Adil Mehmood
Aizaz Khan
Ankur Vasishta
Babar Hayat
Ehsan Nawaz
Haseeb Amjad
Irfan Ahmed
Nadeem Ahmed
Nizakat Khan
Roy Lamsam
Tanwir Afzal
Waqas Khan

Reserves
Anas Khan
Ishtiaq Muhammad
Muhammad Khan
Skhawat Ali

Officials
Charlie Burke - Coach
Jawaid Iqbal - Assistant Coach/Manager
Chris Pickett - Team Analyst
Alex Chan - Physio

“Namibia are a very good side and they have always been a tough opposition, I’m expecting them to come out firing in their own backyard," Burke said.

Hong Kong Men’s Skipper Jamie Atkinson said, “The squad is excited about Hong Kong’s first match in the I-Cup and WCLC. We have prepared well over the last few months and are in good shape ahead of the matches. The squad has a high level of experience with all squad members having toured with Kong Kong in the past.”

Hong Kong Men’s Squad is now working hard in preparation for the first round held in the next two months and cannot wait for the chance compete against Namibia in the four-day first- class ICC I-Cup and one-day internationals ICC WCLC.

brockley

International Captain
Is Chapman following a career in England?
Can't wait for this to start finally.Hope they have coverage on the ICC website.
Irish players in County cricket will be available for all Irelands' gamesmsame as Scotland,will be a first.

Rotkohl

Cricket Spectator
Namibia has won the ICC Africa Twenty20 Championship that gives them a shot at the wt20 qualifiers later this year, which will see 6 teams join the teams ranked 9 and 10 for next year's wt20's preliminary round. So this tournament was a qualifying tournament for a qualifying tournament for a qualifying tournament :unsure: The 2nd placed kenyans will also join them in the qualifiers

The 2013 qualifiers had 16 teams but it seems like this time we'll only get 14. So this will be yet another global tournament with fewer opportunities for associate nations? Of course, those who are good enough to make it to the top 6 will be in the top 14 anyway and as much as I'd like it, I cannot see bermuda or italy make it to india. But just like ireland and afghanistan need to play more matches against australia or pakistan to improve, the danes and the americans need to play against the top associates to reach the next level. The 2 fewer teams may mean nothing for the eventual tournament but it will deprive some players of their biennial opportunity to see how they stack up against teams who are good enough to take down full members, and that cannot help improve the standards at this level

Rotkohl

Cricket Spectator
A full strength squad for Ireland. England have yet to name theirs and with moeen making the trip to the caribbean its anybodys guess what the team will look like :unsure: Taylor to captain and Billings to get a debut I think

Craig young has been amongst the wickets for sussex 2nds and Ireland A, so hopefully a county contract is just around the corner.