• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Namibia really smashed Hong Kong with their batting. A near 400 score

A Kotz made 148 off 86 balls, and a JJ Smit with 61 off 26 balls

SeamUp

International Coach
So who all earned ODI status ?

USA
Oman
Namibia
Papua New Guinea

Joining Netherlands, Scotland, UAE and Nepal for CWC League 2 for the next World Cup Qualifying cycle.

So basically Canada and Kenya are really low in the doldrums.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm more surprised at Hong Kong failing than Canada and Kenya (who didn't even play - mid-table Division 3 now I believe). I would've tipped HK to absolutely smash USA a few months back, and honestly be a 50/50 shot of beating the other teams who finished top four. Xavier Marshall was a weird addition when they played each other, but still.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That was him. He played U19s back with de Kock and Bowes.
Okay thanks, thought so.

Speaking of Namibia and U19s, any idea what became of Fritz Coetzee? Was brilliant in the 2016 U19 World Cup, played a couple of games for the senior side without much impact, and seemingly hasn't been sighted since? Don't actually recall seeing him bowl, but he must have had something about him to take so many wickets

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Okay thanks, thought so.

Speaking of Namibia and U19s, any idea what became of Fritz Coetzee? Was brilliant in the 2016 U19 World Cup, played a couple of games for the senior side without much impact, and seemingly hasn't been sighted since? Don't actually recall seeing him bowl, but he must have had something about him to take so many wickets
I remember him, but no idea what happened. Talented U19 players from associates just disappearing isn't rare unfortunately -- often they just go into higher ed/work and can't completely commit to a hobby with a low pay ceiling anymore.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember him, but no idea what happened. Talented U19 players from associates just disappearing isn't rare unfortunately -- often they just go into higher ed/work and can't comoletely commit to a hobby with a low pay ceiling anymore.
Makes sense, it's a shame but understandable why someone would have their priorities elsewhere. Saw some comments from Captain Gerhard Erasmus that say something along the lines that he hopes that having ODI status will prevent talented young cricketers slipping through the cracks, but frankly that is an issue all over the associate cricket world

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
News on Kenya's squad for the Africa t20 qualifiers

Veteran Swamibapa player Collins Obuya makes a return after bitter fallout last year alongside Nairobi Kongonis all-rounder Eugene Odhiambo who last donned the team kit in 2017. Kanbis batsman Pushpak Kerai continues to prove his stature in getting a place alongside youngster Jasyant Kundi. Captained by Shem Ngoche of Stray Lions Club and under Maurice Odumbe, the team is expected to fight it out for the two slots available for the Global Qualifiers come September in United Arab Emirates

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Africa regional t20 qualifiers start tomorrow, with the East Africa derby between Kenya and Uganda the big game.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I was going to say Namibia should be favorites on the back of their WCL2 triumph. But there is no Craig Williams and no JP Kotze in the squad, batting looks a bit thin as a result.