• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Ahmad Zahir

Banned
Yes, it does come from so many different sources - we are working on bringing this all together with Emerging.Cricket - in the meantime though - if you are a Twitter person; I would suggest following these people/accounts for all Associate-related news:

Emerging Cricket
Tim Wigmore
Bertus De Jong
Andrew Nixon
Peter Della Penna
Tristan Lavalette
Russ Degnan
Jarrod Kimber
Daniel Beswick
@HeliocentCri
Peter Miller
Andrew Leonard
Kyle Coestzer
Preston Mommsen
Ryan Campbell
Peter Borren
Jamie Harrison
I follow most of them on Twitter but even they don't have a lot of news about Associate cricket.

Ahmad Zahir

Banned
I don't understand one thing. Now that almost all Associate nations have T20I status, Why can't they organise matches and series? For example USA can have a T20I series against Canada and Bermuda.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't understand one thing. Now that almost all Associate nations have T20I status, Why can't they organise matches and series? For example USA can have a T20I series against Canada and Bermuda.
Cost money to arrange tours. Flights, hotels, venue hiring fees, staff, and getting part-time cricketers to take time off their full time jobs to play more cricket

But it is happening.

Ahmad Zahir

Banned
Cost money to arrange tours. Flights, hotels, venue hiring fees, staff, and getting part-time cricketers to take time off their full time jobs to play more cricket

But it is happening.
I have followed women's T20I cricket as well and a lot of Associate nations have played matches against each other. I am pretty sure it's easier to organize men matches than women.

cnerd123

likes this
Actually it's easier to organise women's from what I understand. Fewer female players have to take time off full time jobs to play, and the level of competition means you can usually get away with a lower standard of ground/umpires/logistics arrangements. Senior men's cricket always takes up more resources.

The struggle at Associate level is always tied to resources. Money to run events, having venues to host events, and getting players/umpires/staff to take part in events.

Also quite a bit of work needs to go into running an ICC sanctioned event, administratively speaking. Not sure if two nations can just agree to run a T20I series without getting the ICC involved.

Ahmad Zahir

Banned
Well I didn't know about that. I still think that stable Associate cricket boards like US, Canada can stage series without any hiccup.

cnerd123

likes this
Lol I wouldn't call USA cricket stable. Aren't they still run by an interim committee the ICC set up? The elections for the new board to take over was supposed to happen in 2018 IIRC but not sure what happened from that.

cnerd123

likes this
Should be easier to host a T20I series in theory. A T20 league may not be a ICC sanctioned event, so could be a bit easier to run in that regard, but will naturally be harder to organise given its more teams, games, players, etc. Plus more sponsors and money to deal with so all the accounting has to be done thoroughly to keep stakeholders and the government happy.

But given that a T20 League brings in a lot of revenue and attention, it's usually preferred. T20I series don't get the same amount of attention.

Ahmad Zahir

Banned
Should be easier to host a T20I series in theory. A T20 league may not be a ICC sanctioned event, so could be a bit easier to run in that regard, but will naturally be harder to organise given its more teams, games, players, etc. Plus more sponsors and money to deal with so all the accounting has to be done thoroughly to keep stakeholders and the government happy.

But given that a T20 League brings in a lot of revenue and attention, it's usually preferred. T20I series don't get the same amount of attention.
But you wouldn't get any stars for an unsanctioned league.

TimCutler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
But you wouldn't get any stars for an unsanctioned league.
T20 leagues will need to be sanctioned to get any players of any note whether local or overseas - noteworthy recent ones were the Ajman ALl Stars and the Nepal hosted Asia Premier League; both unsanctioned leagues and whose players got banned by respective boards for playing in it (and numerous players have been investigated for fixing).

***** - saying there are fewer females who need to take off work is a little myopic isn't it in today's world isn't it?

Botswana did host an event last year, and Thailand will host a nine-country, ten team comp from 12-19 Jan (https://cutsinfo.com/event/thailand-t20-smash-2018/).

Costs are roughly the same for all the basics required for the (revised, but not released) T20I regulations, but don't forget the men's only got universal T20I status from 1 Jan, so that is why we haven't seen any of these events, yet. The Central American Champs in April will be T20I: https://cutsinfo.com/event/cac-t20-2019/

FTR USA is not a mmebr of ICC and is currently adminstered by ICC. They will be re-admitted come the AGM mid-year, at the latest, though.

cnerd123

likes this
T20 leagues will need to be sanctioned to get any players of any note whether local or overseas - noteworthy recent ones were the Ajman ALl Stars and the Nepal hosted Asia Premier League; both unsanctioned leagues and whose players got banned by respective boards for playing in it (and numerous players have been investigated for fixing).
Blitz and Everest Premier League stats do not get counted into players' official T20 records. Is this because they haven't received official T20 status from the ICC? I'm guessing there is a difference between being an ICC sanctioned event, and being an 'official' ICC T20 event? That's what I'm not sure about - what criteria exists to get a T20 game counted as an 'official' T20?

I remember reading somewhere that for T20Is the ICC has reduced (or is working to reduce) the minimum acceptable standards to host a T20I game in order to make it more accessible. Things like letting it be played on Astrotuf and stuff. Have you heard about this, and is there a difference between the T20I standards and the regular T20 standards? I've tried a bit of googling around now but can't find it, will take a look again later.

TimCutler

Only full members’ domestic T20s have full T20 status. Hard and fast rule unfortunately thus Blitz, GT20 not EPL having status despite the standard.

Nothing offical / publicly released re T20I status which is interesting considering they’ve allowed them to be played on artificial pitches. Hoping this will be released soon - funding policy comes out in Feb so maybe at same time.

TimCutler

WCL2 fixtures released: https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/970800

Fixtures

Saturday 20 April

PNG v Namibia, Wanderers
Canada v Hong Kong, WAP
Oman v USA, Trustco UNITED

Sunday 21 April

Namibia v USA, Wanderers
Canada v Oman, WAP
PNG v Hong Kong, Trustco UNITED

Tuesday 23 April

Hong Kong v Oman, Wanderers
PNG v USA, WAP
Namibia v Canada, Trustco UNITED

Wednesday 24 April

PNG v Canada, Wanderers
Namibia v Oman, WAP
Hong Kong v USA, Trustco UNITED

Friday 26 April

Canada v USA, Wanderers
Namibia v Hong Kong, WAP
PNG v Oman, Trustco UNITED

Saturday 27 April

Final, Wanderers
Third-place play-off, WAP
Fifth-place play-off, Trustco UNITED

TimCutler

Here's the latest Emerging Cricket Podcast with ICC EAP's Rob Gomm - our last from the sidelines of the recent T20 WC qualifier in the Philippines.

Lots of interesting stuff in the 25 mins - including the new app that the ICC will launch soon called "CRIIIO" to assist in growing the game.

As always - any suggestions/feedback please shout out. These first few are not heavily produced but hopefully, our previews and interviews leading up to WCL2 will be slicker.

Here's the iTunes link - but it's on all your favourite podcast apps/channels: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast...th-rob-gomm/id1445443315?i=1000427905433&mt=2

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems that the moment Nepal knuckled down and resolved to bat properly UAE were doomed to lose the match. Nepal caught cold the first game, and even then UAE only barely scraped home.