• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good retort.

Without expats and their kids (who may be locals) playing the game, there's little infrastructure, a low level of competition and little funding. How then do you expect the ethnic majority with no access or idea about the sport to suddenly pick it up? The only reason the Dragons exist is because the expats started playing the game in the first place.

The next step is to get their localised kids and the local ethnic population involved.

You have to think long term. These things take time.

Think about how India started playing cricket. It was brought to them by expats.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing that I admire about Dutch cricket is there are hardly any expats playing in the national side. Has been the case since '96. With a little more funding the game could really thrive in NL and perhaps one day they could be the first Test nation from continental Europe (wishful thinking).

cnerd123

likes this
Is Rizwan Cheema still a thing?
Haha yep, 40 years young. He bats way down the order and rarely bowls so his continued selection is questionable, but yeah.
ICC World T20 America Qualifiers - USA vs Canada. Canada need 7 to win off the last ball, Rizwan Cheema hits a six to tie the game. Canada then win the super over.

Scorecard:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...canada-vs-united-states-of-america-6th-match-

Cheema last ball six:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...canada-vs-united-states-of-america-6th-match-

The Super Over (Not sure who the batsmen and bowlers are - can someone clarify?)

https://www.icc-cricket.com/video/859703

Canada topped the Americas Qualifiers by winning this game. They won 3 out of 3, USA won 2 out of 3. I think this means Canada progresses to the next stage of the WT20 Qualifiers and USA doesn't, but i'll need to check that again.

So basically - yea, Rizwan Cheema is a still a thing.

Golden Horde

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Canada topped the Americas Qualifiers by winning this game. They won 3 out of 3, USA won 2 out of 3. I think this means Canada progresses to the next stage of the WT20 Qualifiers and USA doesn't, but i'll need to check that again.
Actually this tourney features a double round robin, so Canada and the US will face off once again. ;) In any case, two teams qualify for the regional finals where theyll meet Bermuda and Cayman islands

Bertus de Jong's infographic is the best place to understand how it all works - https://twitter.com/BdJcricket/status/1036582550968389637

morgieb

One thing that I admire about Dutch cricket is there are hardly any expats playing in the national side. Has been the case since '96. With a little more funding the game could really thrive in NL and perhaps one day they could be the first Test nation from continental Europe (wishful thinking).
Ehh, Dutch cricket has heaps of expats in their side. Think RtD, Nannes, Cooper, van der Merwe (obviously not all are playing now but they have had their fair share of expats).....

Ireland I think does it best, in their current side only Murtagh isn't Irish (and Eoin Morgan got poached by England). Had more historically though.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ehh, Dutch cricket has heaps of expats in their side. Think RtD, Nannes, Cooper, van der Merwe (obviously not all are playing now but they have had their fair share of expats).....

Ireland I think does it best, in their current side only Murtagh isn't Irish (and Eoin Morgan got poached by England). Had more historically though.
Outside of those guys, there really aren't all that many more expats. Tony Opatha & Mudassar Bukhari spring to mind, but overall they seemed to have about as many players born outside NL playing for them than the amount of Non-English born cricketers playing for England (ok England are a poor example).

But yeah, Ireland can be very proud of their home-grown talent. Apart from Murtagh, Botha, West & Johnston I can't think of all that many expats who played for them over the years.

Golden Horde

County deals announced for Fred Klaassen (Kent) and Shane Snater (Essex)

Essex County Cricket Club announce new deals for Rishi Patel, Shane Snater and Michael Pepper | Cricket | Barking and Dagenham Post
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45707144

So right now the Dutch players with a county deal are Tendo, van der gugten, Roela, van meekeren and these two. Plus Rippon is with Otago. Its ideal to have more players like this because not only do the players get better training facilities, KNCB gets to save money and contract someone else

Right now the guys on a central contract are (Klaasen can now be removed)
Skipper Pieter Seelaar, Stephan Myburgh, Wesley Barresi, Tobias Visee, Ben Cooper, Max O’Dowd, Freddie Klaassen, Scott Edwards, and teenager Bas de Leede
The Meerkat's deal with Somerset got over last month and Ive not hear anything. He would be slightly lucky to get another one given that he barely played for them last season but a man can hope

Golden Horde

Haha I remember Snater when he was a Zimbabwean youth cricket. Quite a journey for him since then.
I wonder what his story is! A Zimbo who randomly landed up in the Netherlands, or does he have family ties to the Netherlands? Also seems to be related to Jason Roy :unsure:

Klaassen has also traveled a fair bit. Born in Sussex, has played some second team in New Zealand and now playing for the Dutch

---

So the US and Canada go through from the Americas North region (no surprises there). Both the US-Canada matches were very well attended (1500+ and 1200+ spectators) and given how close they were I'm sure those guys will want to return for more

The next stop is the Asia Eastern subregion, starting tomorrow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_ICC_World_Twenty20_Asia_Qualifier#Eastern_sub_region

Theres daylight between Nepal, Malaysia, Singapore and the rest, so I think this should be quite straightforward with three teams qualifying for the regional finals. Who wants to predict how many poles Lamichhane will take if he plays all six games? :D

Nepal squad - Nepal recall Airee after three years - Sports - The Kathmandu Post

Singapore squad - https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeC...342929864085/1906679966037816/?type=3&theater

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder what his story is! A Zimbo who randomly landed up in the Netherlands, or does he have family ties to the Netherlands? Also seems to be related to Jason Roy :unsure:
A CW member here who supports the Netherlands (Samuel Vimes) actually asked me about him when he defected, I'll see if I can find what we said about him back then. I think he actually moved over there for cricketing opportunities, with a Dutch passport through one of his parents.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha the conversation was actually in this very thread:

Cribbage to provide input on Shane Snater.
I haven't followed his progress since he left Zimbabwean cricket a couple of years ago, but in youth cricket he was extremely highly rated as a talent. He was known for his pace as a bowler more than his control, movement or effectiveness but he kept the ZCF Howsies talking.. and as a batsman he was known as a massive hitter more than anything else. The sort of player who just screams potential to coaches as a kid, really.

People were divided over whether his batting or his bowling would end up his stronger suit, but he was a bit of a young Andy Blignaut when he bailed if that means anything to you. I believe he was batting five and opening the bowling for the national Under 17s team.
Has to be pretty galling for someone to choose Netherlands over Zimbabwe.
Where would you rather live, Morgs?
No idea about how he qualifies for Netherlands though; it doesn't seem to have come up.

Daemon

Klaassen has also traveled a fair bit. Born in Sussex, has played some second team in New Zealand and now playing for the Dutch

---

So the US and Canada go through from the Americas North region (no surprises there). Both the US-Canada matches were very well attended (1500+ and 1200+ spectators) and given how close they were I'm sure those guys will want to return for more

The next stop is the Asia Eastern subregion, starting tomorrow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_ICC_World_Twenty20_Asia_Qualifier#Eastern_sub_region

Theres daylight between Nepal, Malaysia, Singapore and the rest, so I think this should be quite straightforward with three teams qualifying for the regional finals. Who wants to predict how many poles Lamichhane will take if he plays all six games? :D

Nepal squad - Nepal recall Airee after three years - Sports - The Kathmandu Post

Singapore squad - https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeC...342929864085/1906679966037816/?type=3&theater
We just beat Malaysia 3-0 in the Saudara Cup (highlights available on the fb page) so hopefully we can come runners up in this tournament.

cnerd123

likes this
We just beat Malaysia 3-0 in the Saudara Cup (highlights available on the fb page) so hopefully we can come runners up in this tournament.
Awesome stuff. That's 4 wins in a row against the Big Brothers. And given all the resources they have that you don't it's fantastic.