• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need help regarding assignment on cricket

moonlight

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone,
I am a student and studying sports marketing. I am doing an assignment on cricket and I need to ask few questions. I need everyone to please contribute. It’s going to be part of my assignment so try to give only serious answers. Thanks a lot in advance for your time and effort. :)

1. What is your favourite form of cricket? Is it the Twenty20, One Day International or the Test cricket?

2. What are the motivational factors for following cricket? For example, influence from reference groups such as family, friends, and local cricket clubs? Or the sheer excitement of the game plays a bigger role? Any other factors that motivate you?

3. Do you ever spend money on cricket related products or services such as team merchandise, game tickets, travel, or pay per view subscription services?

4. Why do you support the team(s) you do?

5. What type of a fan do you consider yourself? Please choose one option

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
1. Tests. I think you'll find that 99% of the posters on here will say the same.
2. Much more enjoyment of the game. Though my mum has always been a big cricket fan, so that may have played a role in the development of fandom.
3. Very rarely spend money on team merchandise, maybe once every couple of years, and mostly for small things like caps. Go to at least one day of a test match whenever one is on, and usually go to the one dayers as well (so probably about 3-4 days per year). I've never travelled to go watch cricket and don't have pay TV.
4. Grew up following NZ cricket and have always been a die-hard fan.
5. a

Blocky

Banned
1. Test Cricket, followed by T20, then ODI.
2. Older brother was a superstar at school level which got me into it, I then had some representitive success in NZ and England as a youngster, wasn't really a fan of watching Cricket until the last 6 or so years though
3. Yes, I go to the odd match and would pay for a streaming cricket service like Willow if it were available in New Zealand.
4. I support NZ due to being a Kiwi, I support Durham and the Northern Knights due to playing there and I support anyone playing Australia.
5. Devoted.

ajdude

International Coach
1. tests, odis, t20 in that order
2. always was a casual watcher who often got bored watching it, fell in love with the sport during the 2006/07 ashes. parents have always liked cricket but not quite to the extent of wasting hours posting on a cricket forum like myself
3. not really huge on merchandise, go to a couple of days of the boxing day test match every year and usually one of the limited overs games in melbourne as well as various domestic matches, never travelled for it. one of the main reasons i have pay TV is so i can watch more cricket (along with other sports)
4. australia because i'm australian, i'm a pretty impartial supporter i guess; my allegiances lie with australia but i'm often cheering for things like Misbah's ton and Younus Khan's entire series. also have a passing interest in middlesex due to playing for them in International Cricket Captain 2009 because Phillip Hughes was a freak in that game (or was it 08?)
5. devoted

DriveClub

International Regular
I'd like to say that this forum might only be representative of a pretty small minority of cricket viewers

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Tests
2. Sport of nerds. Dad helped me get into it but I watch much more than him now
3. Tickets about once a year. Nothing else. Used to watch county cricket fairly regularly.
4. England because I'm English, Yorkshire because they were my local team when I started watching county cricket
5. a

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Tests. I barely care about the limited overs formats.
2. Can't really explain; enjoyment of the game, I guess. Most of my family do take an interest in the game, but not to my extent.
3. Generally not. I don't go to games because I don't really have anyone to go with, and I generally only buy sports merch if I actually attend games.
4. Australia because I'm Aussie, NSW because I'm from NSW, Sixers because the Thunder are dire and I live in the eastern half of Sydney.
5. Devoted

longranger

U19 Cricketer
1. ODI, followed very closely by Tests. I don't really care about T20s

2. Fell back into love with the game after playing again regularly during one English summer.

3. As a matter of fact, going to be ordering a WC 2015 jersey very soon

4. India and King's XI Punjab - my local teams

5. Used to (a), shifted to (d), now back again to (a)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Tests, then World Cup cricket, then T20s, then regular ODIs

2. Been into it since childhood. Everyone around me watched it with great fervor. There was never an option really. Played the sport till high school. Actually posting on CricketWeb has given me a bit of a second wind when it comes to how much I watch the game.

3. Tickets to one T20 game a year. Apart from that, buy cricket books every now and then. Also, my TV subscription has a bunch of sports channels like Ten Cricket and Star Cricket and NEO Sports which probably wouldn't be there otherwise.

4. Support India because motherland plus our fast bowlers.

5. (a)

DriveClub

International Regular
1. Don't care for the formats, watch any format when I'm free if any cricket is on
2. Play cricket for my local club
3. Used to buy WC jerseys when I was young but not anymore, subscribed foxtel but cricket isn't the sole reason for that
4. Pretty obvious from location and it's by default, no explanation needed
5. d

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Tests

2. Inherited the old man's passion for the game - sadly not his talent, but you can't have everything can you?

3. I spend far too much time and money on collecting books on the game

4. Support England because of nationalistic fervour and Lancashire because I'm not a Yorkshireman

5. (a)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 four balls and you're out Cricket, then T20, ODI, associate cricket then Tests
2 I want to create a new hybrid game mixed between baseball and cricket.
3 scottish uniform and IPL franchise top
4 live there
5 temporary

archie mac

International Coach
1. Test

2. loved it since a small boy - part of life now

3. Books

4. Australia because I am Australian

5. Devoted fan

Howe_zat

Audio File
To cover all CWers question 5 needs additional options eg

Existential fan
Depressed fan
Equal opportunities fan
Sports analysis algorithm
Nationalistic dick-waving fan

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Below

1. What is your favourite form of cricket? Is it the Twenty20, One Day International or the Test cricket?
Test

2. What are the motivational factors for following cricket? For example, influence from reference groups such as family, friends, and local cricket clubs? Or the sheer excitement of the game plays a bigger role? Any other factors that motivate you?
No family influence. I started playing, happened to be good and fell in love with the sport.

3. Do you ever spend money on cricket related products or services such as team merchandise, game tickets, travel, or pay per view subscription services? Shirts - As I type I am wearing Yorkshire 2014 County Champions T-shirt.

Because they are who I am and where I am from - the history of the sport is important to me - Yorkshire and England

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan

a - though not as devoted as I used to be.

anil1405

International Captain
1. Prefer test cricket ahead of other formats

2. As a kid I used to spend good amount of time at my grand dad's and he used to have a huge collection of recorded cricket tapes from 70's and 80's plus 92 WC was round the corner when i started watching cricket.

3. Used to attend few games when I was in the UK. Back home i do subscribe to couple of HD channels purely for cricket.

4. India - I am Indian; Proteas - No specific reason, just love watching them.

5) a

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Test > ODI > T20
2. Father (Viv's fan) + Mother (Ganguly's fan) + Country (Cricket crazy nation India) + Tendulkar (that's my fandom arena) + My own inquisitiveness about cricket statistics + started to watch from an early age (I was 7 during '91-'92 tour down under)
3. Match tickets + subscriptions
4. India. If India is not playing then Bangladesh, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, West Indies and Pakistan in that order.
5. Devoted as an Indian supporter

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hi everyone,
I am a student and studying sports marketing. I am doing an assignment on cricket and I need to ask few questions. I need everyone to please contribute. It’s going to be part of my assignment so try to give only serious answers. Thanks a lot in advance for your time and effort. :)

3. Do you ever spend money on cricket related products or services such as team merchandise, game tickets, travel, or pay per view subscription services?

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan
1. T20s forever :ph34r:

Nah... can't even joke about it. Tests >>>> everything

2. Used to only watch ODIs till around 96, but then I saw Tendulkar-Azharuddin score 200 runs in a session and a half at Capetown, creaming boundaries at will against Donald and Pollock after India fell to 50-5. That was when I realised I truly loved the sport. Was completely enthralled by the contest itself and by the crowd's reaction when both players reached their hundreds. Most spontaneous applause I've ever heard.

3. Pretty much nothing apart from a few match tickets each year.

4. India. If we aren't playing, then I generally support the obvious underdog. Do have a bit of a soft spot for SA, too.

5. Devoted. Last few overseas tours have eaten away at my soul.

Last edited: