• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need help regarding assignment on cricket

kingkallis

International Coach
1. Test cricket followed by ODI, T20

2. The best time pass of our villagers back in those days and our local club used to be bloody good at it.

3. Equipment, books, tickets, travel

4. India because I am an Indian and South Africa because, I don't know - I just do!

5. (a)

Teja.

Global Moderator
1. What is your favourite form of cricket? Is it the Twenty20, One Day International or the Test cricket?

Tests. Usually don't watch the other formats and prefer doing other things in the time but ODI WCs are definitely amazing.

2. What are the motivational factors for following cricket? For example, influence from reference groups such as family, friends, and local cricket clubs? Or the sheer excitement of the game plays a bigger role? Any other factors that motivate you?

Dad is into cricket but brother/cousins are football fans. I watched Waqar Younis take 13 wickets in 2 ODIs as a 7 year old in 2001 which was the first time I feel in love with cricket and remember watching West Indies chase down 418 in Antigua in 2003 through the early hours in India as the time when I started watched test cricket on a ball-to-ball basis, so I the biggest factor has been personal enjoyment for me.

3. Do you ever spend money on cricket related products or services such as team merchandise, game tickets, travel, or pay per view subscription services?

Spend money on cricket books, would spend money on subscription services if I didn't live in uni.

4. Why do you support the team(s) you do?

I'm not very patriotic but the Indian test team is the team I grew up with, there's no logical basis, it's an emotional thing. My second team is England - largely because of people like Nasser and Atherton. Will gladly support good bowling more than anything else as a neutral though.

5. What type of a fan do you consider yourself? Please choose one option

a. Devoted fan

watson

Banned
1. Tests. I barely care about the limited overs formats.
2. Can't really explain; enjoyment of the game, I guess. Most of my family do take an interest in the game, but not to my extent.
3. Generally not. I don't go to games because I don't really have anyone to go with, and I generally only buy sports merch if I actually attend games.
4. Australia because I'm Aussie, NSW because I'm from NSW, Sixers because the Thunder are dire and I live in the eastern half of Sydney.
5. Devoted
This makes me feel sad. FFS will someone please go with Morgieb to the cricket this summer?

1. Tests

2. My "Aussie Grandfather" took me to The Oval in 1976, then I started playing for my Primary School team - Wimbledon Chase which I loved. I've followed cricket ever since.

EDIT: There is a hypothesis in Human Evolution called the 'Art Instinct' that I agree with. It basically assumes that all humans gain intrinsic enjoyment at watching other humans perform difficult tasks skillfully. To play Test cricket skillfully is one of the most difficult tasks imaginable as anyone who has tried to hook a ball travelling at 130+ kph only 2 foot from their eye sockets will tell you. I watch FC cricket because of the sheer wonder and admiration of it all.

3. Generally a Test match at the SCG followed by a booze up at a T20 match with the 'cricket dads'. If we're all too busy and disorganised then I just take the kids. Would go more but matches are generally expensive and I have little money after mortgage/bills.

4. Don't mind if either Australia or England win. Follow NSW State team and occasionally check to see how Surrey are going.

5. Devoted.

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
1. Test cricket
2. That I havent figured out yet
3. No. Could be nice to have the opportunity to do so though.
4. Bacause my country is down the affiliate tier of ICC nations and I want to watch live cricket. I simply had to pick a test playing country to support to stay interested in cricket.
5. Id say these two
a - I get up at ungodly hours to watch two foreign countries play a 5 day game and whatsapp about it to a guy in Perth
c - I support a local club by playing for it

Last edited:

watson

Banned
You play for cricket a team in Prague?

(That's definitely on the frosty side of cool)

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
1.Test

2. Its a game with personality I don't think I know a game where its possible regardless of the format for it to change so often over the course of a match. Few friends watch it and I can end up having an argument or two with the old man about it.

3. Got a Yorkshire hoody, tend to nip up to Headingley for a few matches a year good prices.

4. I'm English so England is my national team, I tend to support NZ as my seconds because they've always got a lot of good qualities to admire in them. Yorkshire is my local team it its made up of local talent its a properly representative side of Yorkshire.

5. A.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Hi everyone,
I am a student and studying sports marketing. I am doing an assignment on cricket and I need to ask few questions. I need everyone to please contribute. It’s going to be part of my assignment so try to give only serious answers. Thanks a lot in advance for your time and effort. :)

1. What is your favourite form of cricket? Is it the Twenty20, One Day International or the Test cricket?

2. What are the motivational factors for following cricket? For example, influence from reference groups such as family, friends, and local cricket clubs? Or the sheer excitement of the game plays a bigger role? Any other factors that motivate you?

3. Do you ever spend money on cricket related products or services such as team merchandise, game tickets, travel, or pay per view subscription services?

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan
1. Test matches. Especially since 2005. T20s and ODIs so-so the same.
2. Family got me into it and have followed since. It's great that in Australia they have seen what should be the future in cricket domestically with T20s the most played format.
3. No not really anymore.
4. My country, state and city I live in. Australia, Tasmania and Hobart.
5. Option d generally speaking.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do. Second XI mostly. Luckily my club has policy to get every member a game :)
That's nice. First thoughts were the club couldn't possibly have enough players for a full XI, but yay Prague!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi everyone,
I am a student and studying sports marketing. I am doing an assignment on cricket and I need to ask few questions. I need everyone to please contribute. It’s going to be part of my assignment so try to give only serious answers. Thanks a lot in advance for your time and effort. :)

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan
1 Tests
2 I have played it my whole life so just enjoy watching the technique of the top players - the only group that encourages me to watch is CW itself.
3 If the blackcaps had a pay to be a fan system with privileges such as being able to post support messages to players etc then I would happily sign up. I do have sky tv and only do so to get the sports channels but also enjoy the rugby as well as cricket. I also go to tests.
4 I support the blackcaps as I am a Kiwi. I don't know if you want me to soul search more than that but that should be enough for you. I don't have a domestic team - I used to love Northern Districts but have stopped following them since I don't get their news in the local wellington rag.
5 Devoted fan - be surprised if any of us claim anything else. Coming on to a web site to discuss cricket makes you fairly devoted I would say.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Test cricket is the premier form of the game, end of story. I'll gladly watch Tests all day (and all night).

My dad's been playing cricket for nearly 50 years now, so there's that. Incidentally most of my friends are completely ambivalent towards cricket, so I never really had that peer influence -- I just internalised a love for the game so strongly when I was young and there's been no stopping me.

Surprisingly little in terms of what you've specifically asked -- I don't often buy shirts/caps, though I do spend far more money than I should on cricket books (inb4 spikey makes a joke about it). In terms of actually attending games, between uni/work/laziness I never seem to get out to international games.

I support Australia (somewhat) given I am from Australia. NSW because the rest of the country is reliant upon us to produce all their cricketers for them, Sydney Sixers because they're not the Thunder. I'm a New Zealand fan because I enjoy the brand of cricket they play and they're generally less dickish than the Australian side (Steven Smith and Ryan Harris notwithstanding), and because I'm a Kane Williamson fanboi. In terms of international domestic comps, Somerset in the UK because I like Trescothick and Compton. Northern Districts in NZ because KW & Vettori.

So yeah, for me the support of teams is very player-driven; I don't feel especially loyal to the areas, so if all of a sudden Worcestershire lined up a team with Trescothick, Compton, Williamson and Smith in it (for example), I'd probably jump ship immediately.

a. Devoted fan

cnerd123

likes this
1. Test/T20/ODIs

2. Grew up watching with family, got into playing, fell in love with it.

3. Very very rarely.

4. Used to support India due to family/friends, then started supporting minnows and associates because it's more fun supporting the underdogs. Also generally will support any team playing against Aus - I still carry the trauma of the 2003 WC Final.

5. a

YorksLanka

International Debutant
ODis , tests , T20
Went to watch my dad play as a seven year old and started playing myself at nine after falling in love with the game
Will usually go and watch at least a couple of Odis when SL tour England , also go and watch the mighty Yorkshire in T20s to try and get my kids into it..
Sri Lanka as it's where I was born, England if they're not playing SL as that's where I live and the same for Yorkshire
Devoted fan

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

moonlight

Cricket Spectator
Thanks a lot everyone for all the replies it really helped me in my assignment. I didn't expected so many people to reply. Thanks again I really appreciate all the effort :happy:

flint

Cricket Spectator
1-tests
2-grew up with it
3-books and tickets if I'm somewhere it's being played
4-Australia critically; QLD fanatically; whichever county side I was closest to, with dispassionate interest.
5-as above.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
ODis , tests , T20
Went to watch my dad play as a seven year old and started playing myself at nine after falling in love with the game
Will usually go and watch at least a couple of Odis when SL tour England , also go and watch the mighty Yorkshire in T20s to try and get my kids into it..
Sri Lanka as it's where I was born, England if they're not playing SL as that's where I live and the same for Yorkshire
Devoted fan

Hope that helps...
Keep up the good posts - enjoy what you have to say in most threads.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Test cricket of course. It is the only thing that has stayed the course for over a hundred years. Life becomes more fast food with every year but Test cricket's integrity persists for the most part and that makes it invaluable.

See no. 1.

Not at all.

I enjoy watching certain brands of cricket but I don't find myself supporting *a* team anymore. I used to support India growing up but that died following the match fixing sagas. I still enjoy watching an Indian victory, of course, but I just laugh off defeats. I'm what you would call a fair-weather Indian cricket fan.

I'm a seasonal fan these days in that I keep up with major scorecards. I do love the "game" however with all its old school rhythms and stateliness, and passages likes the ones Mitchell Johnson presided over last year hold with the best that music and art in general have to offer.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hi everyone,

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan
1. Test Cricket
2. It's like any other sport, you can grow up with it and it can stay with you. I'm motivated to follow it devotedly after the NZ-AUS series a few years back and I realized I had no idea that we had been in Sri Lanka and South Africa previously and had no idea who some if not post of the players were.
3. Bought tickets a few times, never bought any products, you don't really need them to enjoy it fully.
4. Apart from national teams which is answer is obvious I always support the underdog team when its a neutral match. Nothing more satisfying than seeing the odds beaten.
5. A

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Hi everyone,

a. Devoted fan
b. Temporary fan
c. Local fan
d. Seasonal fan
1. Test cricket: I am far more likely to watch a whole day of Test cricket than the bulk of a OD match or even one innings of swish and giggle.

2. Only one member of my family had an interest in cricket and I didn't really pick up an interest from him. I seriously started watching the game at the age of 10 - it just seemed to suit me. Played Club cricket (I also coached/managed the Colts at the Club for some years and fulfilled other Committee posts including captaincy) then went into umpiring where I do everything from schools to Over 70s games. I suppose my main interest now lies in the League that I stand in on Saturdays.

3. Haven't been to a live game in a couple of years but used to be a Surrey member and went regularly to County and other games. Large book collection but rarely bought merchandise. I now use 'official' clothing for the umpiring (jackets and tops).

4. English and raised in Surrey so.......

5. A