Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Tendulkar Autobiography Thread

Tendulkar Autobiography Thread

Sachin Tendulkar writes, in his forthcoming autobiography "Playing It My Way", on Greg Chappell's coaching stint:

Dropping a bombshell, Sachin Tendulkar has disclosed that the then India coach Greg Chappell had made a “shocking” suggestion to him to take over India’s captaincy from Rahul Dravid months before the 2007 World Cup in West Indies.“Together, we could control Indian cricket for years”, the Australian told Tendulkar during a visit to his home when he offered to “help me in taking over the reins of the side” from Dravid, the master batsman writes in his autobiography “Playing it My Way” due for release on Thursday.

Tendulkar is scathing in his criticism of Chappell who was the national coach from 2005 to 2007, describing him as a “ringmaster who imposed his ideas on the players without showing any signs of being concerned about whether they felt comfortable or not”.

Elaborating on the coach’s bid to replace Dravid, Tendulkar writes, “Just months before the World Cup, Chappell had come to see me at home and, to my dismay, suggested that I should take over the captaincy from Rahul Dravid.
    “Anjali (Tendulkar’s wife), who was sitting with me was equally shocked to hear him say that ‘together, we could control Indian cricket for year’, and that he would help me in taking over the reins of the side.

“I was surprised to hear the coach not showing the slightest amount of respect for the captain, with cricket’s biggest tournament just months away”, Tendulkar writes.

He says that he had rejected Chappell’s proposition outright. “He stayed for a couple of hours, trying to convince me before finally leaving”.

So disgusted was Tendulkar with Chappell’s suggestion that a few days after the episode “I suggested to the BCCI that the best option would be to keep Greg back in India and not send him with the team to the World Cup”.

Tendulkar had suggested to the Board that senior players could take control of the side and keep the team together. “That is not what happened, of course, and the 2007 campaign ended in disaster”, he writes in the book excerpts of which were made available exclusively to PTI by publishers Hachette India.

India’s 2007 World Cup campaign ended in a fiasco with the team winning only one of the three group matches against lowly Bermuda, and losing to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Lashing out at Chappell, Tendulkar says that the Australian must take a lot of responsibility for the mess resulting from India’s performance in the World Cup. “I don’t think I would be far off the mark if I said that most of us felt that the Indian cricket was going nowhere under Chappell”.

Chappell was publicly questioning “our commitment and instead of asking us to take fresh guard, was making matters worse”, writes Tendulkar in the book co-authored by noted sports journalist and historian Boria Majumdar.

The master player says that several senior players were relieved to see Chappell go, “which was hardly surprising because, for reasons hard to comprehend, he had not treated them fairly”.

Tendulkar cites the coach’s attitude towards Sourav Ganguly which he describes as “astonishing”.

He writes, “Chappell is on record as saying that he may have got the job because of Sourav but that did not mean he was going to do favours to Sourav for the rest of his life.

“Frankly, Sourav is one of the best cricketers India has produced and he did not need favours from Chappell to be part of the team”.
    Chappell sought to remove Dravid: Tendulkar - The Hindu
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 03-11-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    woah...seems like this autobiography will sell
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Really don't think an autobiography by Sachin Tendulkar needs any help to sell tbh.

Anyway, it's not new that Chappell and Tendulkar aren't exactly best mates, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moores
    We thought 275 was chaseable. We'll have to look at the data.
    forever 63*

Cricketer Of The Year OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Woah. That seems incredibly dickish by even Chappel's standards.

"Together, we could control Indian cricket for years" this is amazing! Palpatine-esque
    weldone likes this.

Just goes to show how the team performance is affected by the coach, how little we know about what's going on in the background (even if some of this was not new information), and most importantly, that Sachin Tendulkar is gonna talk now baby!

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    ****ing Chappell. WAC.

I feel really bad for Dravid. Always felt he was a way better captain than Ganguly, and obviously Tendulkar. That World Cup destroyed the Indian public's perception of his whole stint, which up until then, had had lots of great moments.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Woah. That seems incredibly dickish by even Chappel's standards.

"Together, we could control Indian cricket for years" this is amazing! Palpatine-esque
    Sachin's no Darth Vader, that's for sure.

Toppling Rahul is like killing puppies.
    BoyBrumby likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    woah...seems like this autobiography will sell
    Obviously, it's not Shoaib Akhtar's autobiography afterall.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Obviously, it's not Shoaib Akhtar's autobiography afterall.
    haha......tbf Shoaib raised more of a ****storm by claiming that Tendulkar was literally quaking in his boots facing him

Could the mods please change the title of the thread to replace "bombshell" with "comments". Feel like a cheap headlines writer.

"I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

The ball tampering bit is just a complete and utter lie. Tendulkar's a pussy. Man up and admit it, midget.

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Could the mods please change the title of the thread to replace "bombshell" with "comments". Feel like a cheap headlines writer.
    Uses the cheap headline to draw in the viewers, and once the thread gains traction, decides to make it sound more dignified. Tsk tsk.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information