• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar Autobiography Thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How do you know? From the videos, it's very much possible that he was removing grass/dirt from the seam.
Nope. Weakest excuse I've ever seen Tendulkar give. Even if there was a bit of grass or dirt on the seam, it was obvious why he was doing it, it wasn't to be a good boy and clean the ball. he wanted to tamper, plain and simple. And surprise suprise, he bowls massive reverse swingers soon after. It was so obvious.

Daemon

Not taking any sides here but it's quite plausible that you'd do it without thinking twice.

OverratedSanity

Not taking any sides here but it's quite plausible that you'd do it without thinking twice.
He ran his thumbnail carefully and with quite a bit of force judging by how his thumb was bent and was literally trembling with the pressure when he was doing it. He ain't no saint.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He ran his thumbnail carefully and with quite a bit of force judging by how his thumb was bent and was literally trembling with the pressure when he was doing it. He ain't no saint.
1. Obviously he was doing it carefully, i.e. removing the grass/dirt.
2. My thumb bends even without using much force.
3. Some force has to be used if the grass is really stuck inside the seam.

It was a careless mistake; that's all it was. Like Daemon said, this is one of the things you'd do on a long day without thinking twice.

OverratedSanity

You're either deluded or you didn't watch the match and how Tendulkar started hooping it all over the place after "removing the dirt". It's just a pathetic lie which I've never bought.

The reason Tendulkar got away with it was because Deness went overboard with the over-appealing charges and all this compounded to make it seem as though everyone was unjustly punished. Tendulkar was guilty as charged and was saved by the BCCI employing it's usual rage-quit tactics. I remember watching the match and the commentators too were in complete agreement that Tendulkar had blatantly tampered.

OverratedSanity

I need a video to see these massive reverse swingers from Sachin Tendulkar.
Couldn't find a video, though I do remember seeing it. This is from Cricinfo:

The second centred on allegations Sachin Tendulkar, a hero to hundreds of millions of Indians and a player with an unblemished record, had been found tampering with the seam of the ball. In effect, suggesting Tendulkar had cheated, there was only ever going to be an unholy row.

On the third day Tendulkar had bowled four overs of gentle medium pace but had almost immediately started swinging the ball more than any other bowler. The local TV producer instructed cameramen to zoom in on Tendulkar's hands, ostensibly to check what grip he was using. Instead, on two occasions he was spotted working on the seam of the ball with the thumb and forefinger of his left hand. The commentators went into overdrive and close-up replays were shown ad nauseam.
So, really, God has no excuse.

edit: link: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/496743.html

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
1. Obviously he was doing it carefully, i.e. removing the grass/dirt.
2. My thumb bends even without using much force.
3. Some force has to be used if the grass is really stuck inside the seam.

It was a careless mistake; that's all it was. Like Daemon said, this is one of the things you'd do on a long day without thinking twice.
Oh come on weldone. You don't really believe this do you?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You're either deluded or you didn't watch the match and how Tendulkar started hooping it all over the place after "removing the dirt".
I'm not deluded. I watched the match too, but honestly don't remember Tendulkar's reverse swing bowling with the old ball in detail. I remember the 'ball tampering' video because it has been shown 1352 times everywhere, but not the reverse swing...because...well, I'm not gifted with such a memory I guess!

So, it'll help if you could post a reverse swinging video of Tendulkar from that match, rather than posting excerpts from some articles.

I mean I know that Tendulkar could spin a ball like Warne, but as a Tendulkar fan I'm ashamed for not knowing his Waqar-esque reverse-swinging capability.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Poor Chappell, no wonder he failed at India when the senior players were plotting against him to the board behind his back.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This is what Ganguly has to say about this ""I completely agree with Sachin and I was the captain, and he was not tampering the ball at all. I still remember giving him the newish ball in the 8th or 9th over, because he got a few wickets in the first innings, and he swung the new ball and got Herschelle Gibbs out in the first innings."

"..The grass gets stuck on to the seam and he was just clearing the seam, because I was standing at mid off and I knew exactly what he was doing. It was a brand new ball so there was no question of ball tampering with the new kookaburra ball. You normally don't tamper a new ball, you only tamper an old ball to get the reverse swing. You can still see the footage and see where the hand goes on. It goes through the seam, that's never a ball tampering. It's very hard to get the ball to reverse in South Africa where the outfields are so green. The pitches are so green, it doesn't get scruffed up on any side. So am pretty much with that on Sachin, because I knew exactly what was happening."

Read more at: Tendulkar says he's no cheat, Ganguly supports Indian cricketing legend : Sports, News - India Today

OverratedSanity

How am I supposed to magically conjure up a video from? :laugh:

This is pretty funny... One would think that an article from a reliable source which says exactly what I'm saying happened would be enough proof, but no, you want to see it for yourself. You win, I guess.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So, Tendulkar should have bowled pace for 10 overs in all the ODIs he played because apparently he was a genius to bowl reverse swing with a new ball!

cnerd123

likes this
...how does tampering the seam cause reverse swing?

If he was caught scratching up one side of the ball that's one thing...tampering the seam seems counter-productive. Less prominent seam = less movement.

OverratedSanity

...how does tampering the seam cause reverse swing?

If he was caught scratching up one side of the ball that's one thing...tampering the seam seems counter-productive. Less prominent seam = less movement.
Nope. Lifting the seam causes the ball to hoop crazy.

cnerd123

likes this
Can you link to the vid? I'm lazy to scroll back and want to see if he was lifting the seam or picking away at it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Without a crazy reverse swinging video on a South African pitch with a 8-over old ball I seem to agree with Tendulkar and Ganguly for now!

What he was possibly doing at that stage is what fooled OverratedSanity and Herschelle Gibbs in the first innings - that's called conventional swing.

cnerd123

likes this
FWIW lifting the seam to get the ball to hoop around checks out:

newyorkcricket

Ever since I recall watching cricket, bowlers could be seen cleaning and lifting the primary seam. A prominent primary seam helps movement off the ground and it is also critical for conventional and reverse swing.
So Sachin could have lifted the seam a bit on a new ball, and gotten it to swing a bit more.

But given the ball was only 8 overs old...seems a bit unnecessary.

cnerd123

likes this

Ok seems pretty clear cut.

Never tried this myself so can't comment on how much help picking the seam on an 8 over old ball would provide, and Sachin could always swing the ball a bit anyways, so while I doubt that this would have been very effective, it does seem like he is guilty of tampering.