• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you select as the first change bowler for Australia at home this summer?

Who would you select as the first change bowler for Australia at home this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I could see them going NCN as a Siddle-type hit the deck and run in all day bowler, only at 140km/h+

Valer

First Class Debutant
I think Siddle has earned the right to play the first Test at the Gabba, but yeah if he is non-threatening and finishes two completed innings with 2-fa or something ordinary I'm prepared to listen to other options. If Harris and Pattinson were both fit and firing Sid would be under more pressure, but they aren't.

As for possible alternatives, I would definitely go for Hazlewood over Starc by the way. I really think that Starc needs a bit more bowling for NSW.

A guy gets dropped for poor form and comes back for injury reasons as much as anything and bowls absolute pies for 2 tests... Thats how you earn another test?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A guy gets dropped for poor form and comes back for injury reasons as much as anything and bowls absolute pies for 2 tests... Thats how you earn another test?
Yes he had earned it. It used to be hard to get out of the baggy green. Only Johnson performed well with the ball. Ive not said Sid is undroppable I just think he should have another chance in home conditions. Also the dropped line is weak when you consider Patto's injury status.

Whos your third quick?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given that both Watto and MMarsh look likely to be selected, the last thing Oz needs is another circa 130 k right armer and that rules out Sidds and Chadd IMO

I'd go for someone that brings something different to the table i.e. pace and/or height

For me that's either NCN, Haze or Starc and as the first test is in Brisbane, it's the latter for mine

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The third seamer will be largely irrelevant if Harris and Johnson are opening the bowling, may as well pick someone young and give him a go. Siddle should be dropped, can't think of any reason to support his continued selection.

adub

International Captain
Already said I don't think Siddle will be dropped, but I've never been a massive fan.

Would like to see Haze get the gig. Also got a lot of time for Behrendorf. NCN would be fine with also. Bird, Patto and Cummins would also be in the mix if fit. Not overly fussed in other words, but I'd have them all in front of P Siddy and Da Haus. Starc is below all of them including the Chadd, Mick Hogan, and Rainbird (at least). Just not a red ball threat. Can do the biz in pyjamas, but when **** gets real he takes all day before deciding he can take a pole.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If Marsh plays they could just play Watson as a batter if his fitness is questionable for bowling.

Haze if Patto and Bird are not fit.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Yes he had earned it. It used to be hard to get out of the baggy green. Only Johnson performed well with the ball. Ive not said Sid is undroppable I just think he should have another chance in home conditions. Also the dropped line is weak when you consider Patto's injury status.

Whos your third quick?
Hazelwood / Bird pending form and fitness.

I interpreted the pressers around the 3rd test in SA that Bird would have played before Siddle. If Siddle was still the 4th best quick at that time according to the selectors he should get (barring a Dougeh like implosion) at least 2 home tests vs the Indians.

As an aside I always forget Siddle is 2 years younger than Johnson.

In general I don't think we should persist with Siddle if he continues to average ~30-32 given the competition. I also don't think we should have persisted with say Lee either.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
A little concerned the selectors still have eyes for Hilf and they may pick him bcos he did well v India last time they were here. I'm happy to give Jackson Bird as much time as possible but as of right now I doubt he'll be ready. Same with Pattinson, while they seem to be building up Cummins into the longer format. That leaves Siddle, Starc, Hazlewood, NCN and Behrendorf as my options with Hazlewood as the choice just ahead of Siddle atm. I don't think Siddle should be discarded on his UAE form but as Rhino and Mitch are well into their 30s think "its time" for a young player like Hazlewood.

Spark

Global Moderator
Given that both Watto and MMarsh look likely to be selected, the last thing Oz needs is another circa 130 k right armer and that rules out Sidds and Chadd IMO

I'd go for someone that brings something different to the table i.e. pace and/or height

For me that's either NCN, Haze or Starc and as the first test is in Brisbane, it's the latter for mine
Isn't Haze also a med-fast right armer? Tall, yes, but so is MMarsh

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hazelwood the best chance of pushing Siddle out for mine. But think that Siddle might get the first crack at it; has worked well as a foil to Harris & Johnson. Especially if Harris is coming in off limited preparation.