• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you select at #3 for Australia at home this summer?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hughes might figure that Warner is the long term opener and understands that Australia are more likely to go for the dependable guy who can anchor an innings to partner him, which helps the likes of Khawaja and someone like Bancroft down the line.

I would imagine its not easy for some batsman to reign in their natural game. Think of our successful opening partnerships from the past 20 years - Slater+Taylor, Hayden+Langer, Watson+Katich and currently Warner+Rogers.

EDIT - I will qualify that yes Langer became more aggressive as his career went on and he did often race to 20, but Hayden was clearly the aggressor.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Would go:

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Hughes (or Hughes at 3, Watson at 6)
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Not keen on either of the Marsh's.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes might figure that Warner is the long term opener and understands that Australia are more likely to go for the dependable guy who can anchor an innings to partner him, which helps the likes of Khawaja and someone like Bancroft down the line.
Bancroft? Really? Surely that role is almost perfect for Jordan Silk or, well, anybody who isn't Cameron Bancroft.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Steve Smith at 3? Does not matter where he bats, I would like him to work on his spinners a bit more and become a potential batting all-rounder.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
ill be honest, when wiff first started posting i didnt rate him at all, he's now a serious asset

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bancroft? Really? Surely that role is almost perfect for Jordan Silk or, well, anybody who isn't Cameron Bancroft
Cameron Bancroft is a Cricketer who opens the batting and fulfills a certain role for his state. Nearly everyone else in the world who isn't Cameron Bancroft would struggle at the role.

Its annoying when people miss the point huh - I clearly said down the line. He is an Under 19 Aus rep, is only 21 and has made 2 useful scores in 2 shield matches to start the year - nothing wrong with saying down the line..