• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you select at #3 for Australia at home this summer?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doolan has shown he's pretty ordinary away, but he's in decent company there. IMO he deserves the chance to show his real mediocrity on home soil.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched the Indian ODI last night and I reckon their pace attack will cause some problems on our decks

Valer

First Class Debutant
Watson has been our most successful #3 since 2008 (including ponting's last 41(!) tests at 3).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
how has watson suddenly become a superior batsman to doolan?
When was this ever not the case?

Watson, as much as he frustrates, walks into the side even without his bowling. This isn't because he's particularly good but because the alternatives aren't either, but nevertheless he's at worst Australia's fifth best batsman for mine.

Whether he bats three or six largely depends on who the selectors decide is the sixth best. If it's Doolan, Hughes or Shaun Marsh then Watson should bat six but if they think Mitch Marsh is now a better batsman than all of that lot (which would be a big call) then yeah Watson back to three makes sense.

I'd probably go with Shaun Marsh, I guess. I was largely against him coming in when he did, but the ton against South Africa should've bought him more time than the one Test he played afterwards (even though he got a pair in it :laugh: ) He's been injured since but Doolan has been poor in his stead so I think the place is his, so to speak.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes. Reckon he'll enjoy himself against Sharma's short wide filth, and I think Bhuvi isn't quite quick enough to exploit his weaknesses.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes. Reckon he'll enjoy himself against Sharma's short wide filth, and I think Bhuvi isn't quite quick enough to exploit his weaknesses.
Yadav?

Though IMO Hughes is a lot worse against spin than pace these days. But none of Ashwin, Ojha or Jadeja are likely to be very effective in Australia.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Reckon Hughes could pull off a Ballance type performance against India but doubt he'll get a gig. He's most likely earmarked to take over from Rogers post Ashes.

Flem274*

123/5
doesn't boof not like hughes though?

you could get through a few less obvious players before hughes gets another crack.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
doesn't boof not like hughes though?

you could get through a few less obvious players before hughes gets another crack.
You got the feeling during the 2012 SA series they just threw Quiney in as a sacrifice to save Hughes for the good runs vs Sri Lanka.

I don't think Boof is that type of coach but it might be similar thinking re: the recent SA series and this series gone.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Twatto till someone in the Shield makes a decent case. I'm not a Twatto fan and the injuries mess us about but the alternatives are meh. Hughes opens or doesn't play imo.

Howe_zat

Audio File
FMD do I lose track with Hughes. He's in the 'earmarked' stage of the cycle again is he?

Crazy to think he's the same bloke who scored all those runs in SA way back in 2008/9.

Players to have their entire career since then:

Angelo Mathews
Jonathan Trott
Saeed Ajmal
Alviro Petersen
Ryan Harris
Azhar Ali