• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly fined 80% of match fees

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
krkode said:
Shame that nobody cares. Numbers don't lie.
I was not criticising him. My point was that IF he could pull better he'd probably have a ODI average of over 50. He's always struggled Vs. the short ball, where as tendulkar dravid and laxman have all adapted to it.

He's still arrogant though.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
mavric41 said:
Australians appreciate people who play the game hard and fair. Ganguly crosses the line at times. But he has done wonderful things for the Indian team.
Crosses the line at times ???....and who has drawn the line....the Aussies ??.....sledging and swearing at players and umpires, making racist comments etc.....all cross the "line" for somebody else, alright. And its better the Aussies realise that the lines and everything else for the game of cricket are not what the Aussies think they are....a lot of others play the game and think differently and draw the lines differently too. That doesn't mean condoning Ganguly's delaying tactics, if he really did that.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Clearly, Australians never cross the line, ever.
When did I ever say that. The Australian players make their share of mistakes - most in the heat of the moment. Its the cold, calculated, unsportsmanlike like play that Ganguley can be guilty of that causes him not to be revered as much as his accomplishments deserve.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
mavric41 said:
When did I ever say that. The Australian players make their share of mistakes - most in the heat of the moment. Its the cold, calculated, unsportsmanlike like play that Ganguley can be guilty of that causes him not to be revered as much as his accomplishments deserve.
heat of the moment.....eh ? I thought the Aussies had a calculated gameplan for mental disintegration or some such thingy that has been pretty much well documented as an instrument of state policy :O :O

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Its about Bl**dy time he got fined when he goes out to bat he walks out slowly lines his bat up, lines the handle up with the bails, lises the bat up again, checks the bails again then looks around at the field.
When he bowls its just gets plain babyish, fiddling with the field, the time it takes him to decide if they need a slip or not i could run out there and bowl the over myself, and like Ian Chappel (i think) said about Yuvraj Singh "Gee those Indians heal up pretty quickly"

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
ReallyCrazy said:
All of you ppl who are against Ganguly should realise one thing-he is one of the best ODI batsmen going around at the moment. As Krkode said, numbers don't lie and if his average is over 43...it is there because of a reason.

Oh ok numbers don't lie, let us study some numbers then

Gangulys Average: 42.88

M.Bevans Average: 54.62

M.Clarkes Average: 48.09

Gangulys Strike Rate: 75.05

A.Gilchrists SR: 93.76

D.Lehmanns SR: 81.96

A.Symonds SR: 87.16

M.Clarkes SR: 87.00

The best, i don't think so, because as you said numbers don't lie (And there just the aussies)

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:
Ganguly does lead by example, Remember Gabba Test and his century ? Fist ODI in VB series ?
Yeah i remember, he tried to be a hero, got run out and cost India a very exciting game, yeah i recall it

And as result of that he gave Bangar the last over in a tight game against Zimbabwe. He really has it in for his players if they screw him around! :lol:

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It was a fair fine. The time Ganguly takes to set his fields is long and he should be told by the umpires to move things along. The funniest bit for me was mid-over he swapped his third man and deep point fielders around.

I think he needed to clean his boots. did you see the amount of crud there was in them. It's just that he took a long time doing it.

Yuvraj was probably injured and again they should have got him off quicker. It's the umpires role to do this.

The field setting times only follow on from the test series. I believe the Indian team got fined at some stage during the series for slow over rate.

As for Aussies cheering for him if he was one of us, we'd never take him not in a million years. On the other hand if they wanted to give us Laxman or Dravid..........

shankar

International Debutant
Warne is god said:

The best, i don't think so, because as you said numbers don't lie (And there just the aussies)
You forgot 1 number: his 9300 runs

Nobody called him THE best. He's definitely one of the best ODI players around. Out of the above list only bevan and gilchrist are in his league.

oh and M.Clarke?!!! compare him with ganguly after he scores a couple of 1000 runs.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Warne is god said:

Comparing Clarke and Symonds with Ganguly ?? :lol: :lol: Come back with those stats after those two have scored 9000 odd runs in ODIs, alright ?....lets see some longevity and consistency and then we will talk.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Warne is god said:
Yeah i remember, he tried to be a hero, got run out and cost India a very exciting game, yeah i recall it
But you sure dont remember the GABBA Test, Do You ??

You fast bowlers had promised the Chin Music, at the end they were playing 'Fetch the ball from Boundry' Game. :lol::lol: :lol:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
But you sure dont remember the GABBA Test, Do You ??

You fast bowlers had promised the Chin Music, at the end they were playing 'Fetch the ball from Boundry' Game. :lol::lol: :lol:
it was a draw, and a drawn series....

may i also draw your attetion to the way gangluy has got out in about his last 4 innings....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ganguly is a great ODI batsmen, IMO.

As a test batsman, I would say he is competent rather than great.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
it was a draw, and a drawn series....

may i also draw your attetion to the way gangluy has got out in about his last 4 innings....
Whatever you say - He ended up with better average than Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, D Martyn and Langer. I just wonder who was afraid of the Short ball. :lol::lol:

Needless to say that his runs were made against better bowlers as opposed to Australian batsmen's runs made against pedestrian bowlers.

As far as the Drawn Series is concerned - who was holding the Border-Gavaskar Trophy after the Series :lol: .

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Ganguly is just super! Also after the test series, while steve waugh was happy w/ the draw, ganguly wasn't.

As for him not being able to play the fast ball and getting out...I'm sure he's gonna make a glorious 100 at Perth. Just wait n watch

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Warne is god said:

The clarke and symonds comparison are a weak argument but i think the stats above are a good comparison. Gilly and Bevan are both just as good if not better than ganguly. Both are established ODI players so comparing these stats is fair i believe.

Ganguly is a good player but i dont believe he plays for the team, i think he's very selfish and only really plays for himself. Think his runs will dry up now people have figured out that he is uncomfortable with the short ball into the ribs. The guy, however great, cannot hook a ball to save his life.