• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Botham vs Snow - Who was a better bowler?

Who was a better bowler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who was the better bowler between Sir Ian Botham and John Snow?

For the record, these are their career bowling summaries

Sir Ian Botham

John Snow

Please discuss and vote :)

watson

Banned

It's difficult comparing Snow and Botham because they are different types of bowlers. Snow was a fast bowler who relied on movement off the seam and a lethal bouncer. Botham was considerably slower and relied more on swing.

However, if I had to pick one of them to knock over a quality top order then I would go for Snow.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

It's difficult comparing Snow and Botham because they are different types of bowlers. Snow was a fast bowler who relied on movement off the seam and a lethal bouncer. Botham was considerably slower and relied more on swing.

However, if I had to pick one of them to knock over a quality top order then I would go for Snow.

I think that's all pretty fair. I've read one or two folks argue that Snow's our best quick bowler in the last 50 years, and I think they may well be right.

Perhaps it's worth adding that Botham's overall figures are not helped by his matches post 1986, when he really was a shadow of his former self. Albeit a rather larger shadow.
Snow, otoh, didn't play many matches when he was past his absolute prime. And you could argue that it was hardly Snow's fault that Botham didn't age as well as he did.

Looking at the footage of Snow, I love his apparent indifference when he dismisses a batsman.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If John Snow knows nothing then Imran Khan never improved as a test match bowler.

If I know nothing, then I'm only slightly worse than Sir Isaac Newton. :)

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha is that a Game of Thrones reference?

My knowledge about GoT is like a kid's knowledge about having kids.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Botham was so ordinary for so long that its easy to forget what a great bowler he was for the first five years of his career and that Botham was as effective a bowler as I've seen - give me the choice of which to watch though and it would be Snowy every time

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Botham was so ordinary for so long that its easy to forget what a great bowler he was for the first five years of his career and that Botham was as effective a bowler as I've seen
Botham was so good in the first five years of his career that some people forget how ordinary he was for so long after that. :)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Pretty much there's cool and good 70s Botham and then not as good mulleted 80s Botham...

Should've kept the cool hair and beard.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That is not comparative though as there were more tests in Botham's time compared to Snow's. You would have to compare their careers really and not a 5 year period of Botham with Snow's career.