• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 over matches

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
Wouldnt 10 over per side matches be great? It may sound a little stupid at first, but maybe it would be a nice addition to the game.
Ill explain: The batsmen wouldnt have to worry too much about wickets and the game would be quick, close and exciting. Without having to worry about the team lasting a full 50 overs the batsmen could go for every delivery, making it a game perfect for spectators. With a low number of overs the games would also result in lower scores and closer matches - again, perfect for spectators. With the batsmen playing more aggresively the game will be more fast-paced, with crowd pleasing 4s and 6s. The bowlers would need to keep it tight and show a high level of skill to contain the batting side.
Imagine India and Australia in a 10 over game! With Tendulkar, Dravid, Singh, Hayden and Gilchrist it would be as fast paced, impressive and exciting as any other sport.
The only problem I can see with a 10 over match is that it finishes too quickly. Maybe the only solution to this is to have 3, 10 over per side matches over a day, with victory going to the team with the most wins from the 3 games.
After thinking it over I cant see why this kind of game couldnt be possible. Im interested to know what everyone else thinks of the idea.

FRAZ

International Captain
35 is the best option already discussed in a thread "worst higher level cricket relating decisions"

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
agodleman said:
Wouldnt 10 over per side matches be great? It may sound a little stupid at first, but maybe it would be a nice addition to the game.
Ill explain: The batsmen wouldnt have to worry too much about wickets and the game would be quick, close and exciting. Without having to worry about the team lasting a full 50 overs the batsmen could go for every delivery, making it a game perfect for spectators. With a low number of overs the games would also result in lower scores and closer matches - again, perfect for spectators. With the batsmen playing more aggresively the game will be more fast-paced, with crowd pleasing 4s and 6s. The bowlers would need to keep it tight and show a high level of skill to contain the batting side.
Imagine India and Australia in a 10 over game! With Tendulkar, Dravid, Singh, Hayden and Gilchrist it would be as fast paced, impressive and exciting as any other sport.
The only problem I can see with a 10 over match is that it finishes too quickly. Maybe the only solution to this is to have 3, 10 over per side matches over a day, with victory going to the team with the most wins from the 3 games.
After thinking it over I cant see why this kind of game couldnt be possible. Im interested to know what everyone else thinks of the idea.
There is.

It's called the once popular Max Cricket.

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
While 35 overs, or 20 overs sound okay it would mean a shorter game. At least with 10 (10-15?) overs you could have 3 games over the day, so it would last longer. If it was 20 overs you would only get in 2 games, leaving the possibility of there being no clear winner.

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
Max Cricket? Hmm. Id never heard of it, but I looked it up anyway. Now I've only got 3 questions. What happened to it? Has it died out or what? Is Australia involved?

Last edited:

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good man/woman (always gotta be pc) um well after it was dumped because from the first class schedule last year for some reason, maybe it was because of player strike or maybe because it was just thought of as a gimmick held over a few days I'm not sure but I have only seen one Max game since then and that was the Max international in which the Max Caps played the Indian team and Sachin hit a nifty 70 or 80 odd, his only decent score on the tour 2002/2003. I presume you have read up on the jist of it is it something along the lines of your thinking?

Oh and as far as I know the only other international has been against the West Indies...I remember when Twenty20 came out some people over here thought it was a slight cop out of Max Cricket but I realised that the game isn't known very far outside of NZ.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Twenty20 was a massive success last UK summer - and there will be a Women's International (Eng v NZ) at Hove this year.

Plans are afoot for men's International Twenty20 before too long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
While the the Twenty20 competition may have attracted large audiences in England (in a perfect summer) I hope a 20-over competition does not become international.
It cannot seriously be called cricket - anything less than 30 overs is merely something resembling cricket with similar rules.
A women's international 20-over game is a worthwhile try, but I really hope we don't see it in men's internationals or, indeed, in other domestic seasons.
Cricket Max hopefully demonstrates that there is little market for it in most countries when you've got proper one-day-cricket getting decent domestic crowds.

Sudeep

International Captain
I would rather watch a 50 over match than a 10 or 20 over match.

Twenty20 for Women's cricket sounds perfect, but for men's it's just too less. It can be fun for a while, but it should never replace the 50-over game.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
How about 7 a-side 10 over matches

Like AUS

M.Hayden
J.Langer
R.Ponting
A.Gilchrist
B.Lee
J.Gillespie
G.McGrath

RoW

G.Smith
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
A.Stewart
S.Pollock
M.Ntini
M.Muralitaharan

3 overs max. a bowler

Sudeep

International Captain
jamee999 said:
How about 7 a-side 10 over matches

Like AUS

M.Hayden
J.Langer
R.Ponting
A.Gilchrist
B.Lee
J.Gillespie
G.McGrath

RoW

G.Smith
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
A.Stewart
S.Pollock
M.Ntini
M.Muralitaharan

3 overs max. a bowler
It would be fun if such a tournament is played once in a year. Kind of like what the Hong Kong sixes was. But as I said, it should never ever even come close to replacing the mainstream 50 over matches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sudeep Popat said:
Kind of like what the Hong Kong sixes was.
Hong Kong Sixes is. And England won it in 2003!

More kids can relate to 20-overs because that's what we play at junior level, but no, it won't replace 50 overs.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
And theres also the double wicket competition, won by D. Vettori and J. Oram last year. Personally I think this is great as it's the closest you can get to indoor cricket, outdoors, plus it's a once a year thing so purely a spectacle...wish they could televise it though...