Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10 over matches

10 over matches

Wouldnt 10 over per side matches be great? It may sound a little stupid at first, but maybe it would be a nice addition to the game.
    Ill explain: The batsmen wouldnt have to worry too much about wickets and the game would be quick, close and exciting. Without having to worry about the team lasting a full 50 overs the batsmen could go for every delivery, making it a game perfect for spectators. With a low number of overs the games would also result in lower scores and closer matches - again, perfect for spectators. With the batsmen playing more aggresively the game will be more fast-paced, with crowd pleasing 4s and 6s. The bowlers would need to keep it tight and show a high level of skill to contain the batting side.
    Imagine India and Australia in a 10 over game! With Tendulkar, Dravid, Singh, Hayden and Gilchrist it would be as fast paced, impressive and exciting as any other sport.
    The only problem I can see with a 10 over match is that it finishes too quickly. Maybe the only solution to this is to have 3, 10 over per side matches over a day, with victory going to the team with the most wins from the 3 games.
    After thinking it over I cant see why this kind of game couldnt be possible. Im interested to know what everyone else thinks of the idea.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Adam

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    20-over cricket is more likely.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter

International Captain
    35 is the best option already discussed in a thread "worst higher level cricket relating decisions"
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

School Boy/Girl Captain

Re: 10 over matches

Originally posted by agodleman
    Wouldnt 10 over per side matches be great? It may sound a little stupid at first, but maybe it would be a nice addition to the game.
    Ill explain: The batsmen wouldnt have to worry too much about wickets and the game would be quick, close and exciting. Without having to worry about the team lasting a full 50 overs the batsmen could go for every delivery, making it a game perfect for spectators. With a low number of overs the games would also result in lower scores and closer matches - again, perfect for spectators. With the batsmen playing more aggresively the game will be more fast-paced, with crowd pleasing 4s and 6s. The bowlers would need to keep it tight and show a high level of skill to contain the batting side.
    Imagine India and Australia in a 10 over game! With Tendulkar, Dravid, Singh, Hayden and Gilchrist it would be as fast paced, impressive and exciting as any other sport.
    The only problem I can see with a 10 over match is that it finishes too quickly. Maybe the only solution to this is to have 3, 10 over per side matches over a day, with victory going to the team with the most wins from the 3 games.
    After thinking it over I cant see why this kind of game couldnt be possible. Im interested to know what everyone else thinks of the idea.
    There is.

It's called the once popular Max Cricket.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    I wish I were an Oscar Myer weiner.

While 35 overs, or 20 overs sound okay it would mean a shorter game. At least with 10 (10-15?) overs you could have 3 games over the day, so it would last longer. If it was 20 overs you would only get in 2 games, leaving the possibility of there being no clear winner.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Em-Aye-Ex See-Are-Eye-See-Kay-Eee-Tea

Max Cricket
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Max Cricket? Hmm. Id never heard of it, but I looked it up anyway. Now I've only got 3 questions. What happened to it? Has it died out or what? Is Australia involved?
    Last edited by agodleman; 23-01-2004 at 03:51 AM.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Good man/woman (always gotta be pc) um well after it was dumped because from the first class schedule last year for some reason, maybe it was because of player strike or maybe because it was just thought of as a gimmick held over a few days I'm not sure but I have only seen one Max game since then and that was the Max international in which the Max Caps played the Indian team and Sachin hit a nifty 70 or 80 odd, his only decent score on the tour 2002/2003. I presume you have read up on the jist of it is it something along the lines of your thinking?

Oh and as far as I know the only other international has been against the West Indies...I remember when Twenty20 came out some people over here thought it was a slight cop out of Max Cricket but I realised that the game isn't known very far outside of NZ.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Twenty20 was a massive success last UK summer - and there will be a Women's International (Eng v NZ) at Hove this year.

Plans are afoot for men's International Twenty20 before too long.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    While the the Twenty20 competition may have attracted large audiences in England (in a perfect summer) I hope a 20-over competition does not become international.
    It cannot seriously be called cricket - anything less than 30 overs is merely something resembling cricket with similar rules.
    A women's international 20-over game is a worthwhile try, but I really hope we don't see it in men's internationals or, indeed, in other domestic seasons.
    Cricket Max hopefully demonstrates that there is little market for it in most countries when you've got proper one-day-cricket getting decent domestic crowds.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Richard
    It cannot seriously be called cricket - anything less than 30 overs is merely something resembling cricket with similar rules.
    Yeah, OK...

International Coach
    Whatever you say, Richard...
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

I would rather watch a 50 over match than a 10 or 20 over match.

Twenty20 for Women's cricket sounds perfect, but for men's it's just too less. It can be fun for a while, but it should never replace the 50-over game.

How about 7 a-side 10 over matches

Like AUS

M.Hayden
    J.Langer
    R.Ponting
    A.Gilchrist
    B.Lee
    J.Gillespie
    G.McGrath

RoW

G.Smith
    S.Tendulkar
    B.Lara
    A.Stewart
    S.Pollock
    M.Ntini
    M.Muralitaharan

3 overs max. a bowler
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Originally posted by jamee999
    How about 7 a-side 10 over matches

Like AUS

M.Hayden
    J.Langer
    R.Ponting
    A.Gilchrist
    B.Lee
    J.Gillespie
    G.McGrath

RoW

G.Smith
    S.Tendulkar
    B.Lara
    A.Stewart
    S.Pollock
    M.Ntini
    M.Muralitaharan

3 overs max. a bowler
    It would be fun if such a tournament is played once in a year. Kind of like what the Hong Kong sixes was. But as I said, it should never ever even come close to replacing the mainstream 50 over matches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information