Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mathew Sinclair - Interview for Cricket Web

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar

Mathew Sinclair - Interview for Cricket Web

Guys, we may have an opportunity to talk to Mat sometime soon. Please feel free to post any questions you may have. We may be able to incorporate most if not all as part of the interview.

Cheers
    -GV

During his career, he faced ageing behemoths in the likes of Courtney Walsh, Waqar Younis, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Allan Donald. Could he say something about facing such legends in their decline (if at all), and if it was easier than he had expected?
    bagapath likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    During his career, he faced ageing behemoths in the likes of Courtney Walsh, Waqar Younis, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Allan Donald. Could he say something about facing such legends in their decline (if at all), and if it was easier than he had expected?
    Thanks Harsh..

Any more questions are welcome.

Would it be too harsh to ask him his opinion on what went wrong with his international career? 214 on debut, two double tons in his first 12 Tests, ends up playing only 21 more Tests, scoring one more ton, and with an average of 32. Pretty surprising.

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Could you ask him about his 150 against South Africa? Anything about it. Great knock.

Edit: Hmmm, how about asking him if there was a sort of morbid satisfaction that he was able to hit a great ton against an amazing attack when the rest of the batsmen did nothing or would the ton have felt just as satisfying if he'd had some more support?
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 30-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    What went wrong?
    gvenkat likes this.

Simple - he wasn't well liked by the "leadership group" - namely Fleming, he refused to take guidance on his technique until late in his career and was never backed through a consistent run in the side after his first couple of series... he also had a tendency of being selected right around when they played Australia or England who detonated him every time due to his feet-work.

He -should- have played 100 tests at least for his country, but after his initial two seasons where he played a total of 17 tests, the rest of his 15 tests took him 6 seasons. He was never backed consistently enough to allow him to acclimatize to test cricket and become more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Supercilious Solipsist View Post
    Never go full kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

State Captain
    I'd like to know if he has any regrets. Was there anything he could've done differently? Was he too stubborn to change? Did he work hard enough? Did he ignore Martin Crowe's attempts to work with him, as Martin suggests he did? Or does he believe he wasn't afforded enough opportunities based predominantly around his personality and the fact he didn't fit into the clique?

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Which bowlers in first-class cricket (that weren't regular test players) did he have the most difficulty playing against?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Which bowlers in first-class cricket (that weren't regular test players) did he have the most difficulty playing against?
    I know he regarded Andrew Schwass as a top bowler and someone he felt should've been offered international opportunities. I also think you'll see him say Arnel and Aldridge.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    I know he regarded Andrew Schwass as a top bowler and someone he felt should've been offered international opportunities. I also think you'll see him say Arnel and Aldridge.
    I get the feeling the idea is to let Mathew Sinclair himself field them, old gun.

Great Stuff guys. I have incorporated most of the Stuff already one way or the other. . I will definitely ask him about this

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    I get the feeling the idea is to let Mathew Sinclair himself field them, old gun.
    Sure, but part of the reason I'm throwing my answers out there is to see if I know Skippy as well as I think I do... one of the few guys I've bowled extensively at without dismissing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information