Thread: Sledging...

School Boy/Girl Captain

Sledging...

I just wanted to say how much of a dickhead Graeme Smith is after he came out about how the Aussies "abused" him in South Africa earlier this year.

I think what happens on the field should stay on the field, and if you can't take it, go back to grade cricket. I think sledging - or "mental disintegration" - is part of cricket (almost any sport - in fact). What do you guys think??

"All Warne does is call you a c*** all day," Smith claimed.

.... maybe Warne was onto something.

Sledging is fine as long as it doesn't get personal.
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

State Vice-Captain
    I think sledging is great. It is part of the game and it shows
    that you don't just have to be great cricketer in the physical
    side but also in the mental side.

Tim
    Its fair to say that Australians and New Zealander's don't mind giving a bit of sledge to other teams. It just seems that other countries don't handle it very well.

I agree with Sunil.

In the end you have 2 competitive teams playing each other that will obviously use mind games to get some sort of advantage. I do think sledging is a valid part of the game and it will be hard to stop this anyway. Things will always be said when you have 2 competitive teams playing each other.

As long as the sledging is within the context of the game it is fine with me. Anything personal like race, religion etc is obviously inappropriate and any player that does sledge in this manner should be reprimanded and fined immediately.

Cricket is the game where soon as it is finished each team meets up and has a good reflective laugh about the match :-)

[Edited on 7/11/02 by anthonysw]
    -----------------My Signature-----------------

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    this guy must be the minister of defense

this guys got more blocks than a lego set
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

U19 Cricketer
    It shows you who are the tough guys of cricket. Unlike Daryll Cullinan...
    There's only one Darren Gough!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Verbal in the field's all part of the game, sledge the opposition, make up appalling rhymes and/or limericks to 'encourage' the rest of the side... well I do that anyway
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I've never sledged anyone in my entire life but other than racist or otherwise personal taunts (which is entirely subjective and the umpire should regulate out on the field), I don't have any problem with it.

The higher standard you reach, the more it gets too. It's all part of the game (or any game for that matter).

I tell you what, though, I think it's a sad day for cricket when a South African, given their deserved reputation as hard and tough competitors, is complaining about sledging. Maybe this lack of toughness is a reason for their demise? Could any of you imagine someone like Gary Kirsten, Fanie de Villiers or Brian McMillan complaining that any team sledges too much??!?!?!?

ALL of the Test-playing nations sledge. It's a fact borne out by people I know who've played against most of these guys and have listened to recordings taken on the ground, only for these same players to complain the Aussies sledge too much. It infuriates me no end when I see someone like Roshan Mahanama complain about Aussie sledging when he was one of the worst offenders (and was unsportsmanlike; anyone remember him hip-and-shouldering Darren Gough out of the way in Adelaide whilst going for a run-out a few years ago?). And it was also hilarious when Ranatunga used to complain about sledging too; do people really think he got his reputation as a hard-nosed competitor JUST because he could bat well?

So yeah, the Aussie players have been demonised a little in the sledging department but only because every other team does it too. And legislation against it is pointless and discriminatory because it's usually enacted by people who've barely touched a cricket ball before or who are so out of touch they think Geoff Boycott was a reasonably attacking player.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    Sledging is funny at times.

"I have seen better batters, in a Fish 'n' Chip shop!"

That is so funny. Ijust laugh and joke around with the other team, cos it just a game. Any one who takes too seriously shouldn't play.

"no snapper out there love"
    i always say that.
    or "paid for the edges, might as well use them"

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    As long as it doesn't get personal it's OK by me, but in the end it is an Umpire's subjective opinion (under Law 42----Fair And Unfair Play) to decide when a player should be reported for "Not playing the game in the Spirit in which it was intended"

[Edited on 6/16/02 by Eyes_Only]
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

Thread Information