• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

They're at it again!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan have today sacked their 5 man selection panel. And reinstated Wasim Bari who was the head of selectors up until the conclusion of Pakistan's World Cup campaign in 2003.

Absolutely crazy...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They are some how making sure they can never ever become the best side in the world. The talent they have, they could have given any team a run for their money right through the 80s and 90s and right now too.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Its been going on ever since Partition. Pakistan cricket adminstration has always had more than a touch of politics to it.

No real surprise there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
That part of The World has always been turbulant.
Pakistan worse than the rest.
India is certainly not as turbulent as England considering selection policies, changes.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
At this stage....2 or 3 years ago, India wasn't too crash hot with their selection policies either.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tim said:
At this stage....2 or 3 years ago, India wasn't too crash hot with their selection policies either.
India has had Azharudding, Tendulkar and Ganguly as captains and thats it. apart from Tendulkar stepping down once and other players coming in to captain when the main captain is injured, there hasnt been much bad stuff done in captaincy post the Kapil-Gavaskar captaincy musila chairs.

Also, the selections have been consistent although not fair to every one. You havent seen out and out talents like Alistair Brown getting dropped or the likes of Gough snubbed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That must be the first time Ali Brown ahs ever been called an "out and out talent", even in his own living room!!!

Rich2001

International Captain
Pratyush said:
India has had Azharudding, Tendulkar and Ganguly as captains and thats it. apart from Tendulkar stepping down once and other players coming in to captain when the main captain is injured, there hasnt been much bad stuff done in captaincy post the Kapil-Gavaskar captaincy musila chairs.

Also, the selections have been consistent although not fair to every one. You havent seen out and out talents like Alistair Brown getting dropped or the likes of Gough snubbed.
No but you guys went through about 6 Wicket-Keepers in a month though. :D

FRAZ

International Captain
Actually in the 90's. These two players(Waqar, Sohail), had been a constant pain in the butt for Wasim. And I guess General Zia has done a great job ,Except he appointed Sohail in the selection committee. Imran is a person who is my choice for every post including being a prime minister,But he does nt want to be involved . Imran gave a suggeStion of finishing the departmental cricket , and he asked to introduce the regional zone teams. Zia was doing it but Cricket Mafia did nt like this at all and they asked him not to change any system and get out .
I guess this is a wonderful thing that Aamir is not in the selection, He is a true S.O.B. I know that . Now there is one more thing , No one remebers M.Akram and M. Zahid. Zahid was a very very fast bowler (153+).They had been a victum of Politics of Waqar and Aamir.These two(A&W) F****** Clowns have there own lobby of players who do what ever they want to do . And they dont let any other to be a part of their circle .
Now the board has got strength and they are more proffessional and I guess cricket is gonna go towards a +ive direction .If you guys see a grass root selection of U19 local teams in Pakistan in 1980's, Its funny very very funny . The selector stands besides the leg umpire and shouts the batsman to play sweep , Play cover drive etc etc regardless of the batsman own selection. .And if there is a relative there then The bowler is that selector himself and so on .. Its Bull. I guess Zia is a wonderful personality and he ignited some professionalism in the Cricket board and I wont say its sad that he has gone , Cuz Shahriyar khan is the best replacement.Overall Waqar and Sohail are gone and thats wonderful...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
marc71178 said:
That must be the first time Ali Brown ahs ever been called an "out and out talent", even in his own living room!!!
Alistair Brown has never been dropped - because he's never been picked ITFP! Stupid, but true. A FC average in the 40s, and not once has his name been mentioned.
Instead, they do the customary trick of assuming that his style of play must be suited to one form of the game, and picking him for that despite averages suggesting otherwise. He didn't perform in ODIs (no surprise to me) and he was quite rightly dropped.
And Gough was snubbed for the right reasons - the bad idea was recalling him for ODIs ITFP, if you were going to look to the next WC anyway.
In India instead you have seen out-and-out talents like Mongia (Nayan, NOT Dinesh), Kanitkar and Sodhi ignored.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
India is certainly not as turbulent as England considering selection policies, changes.
They've been a bit better since John Wright took his place, but England's problem isn't selection, it's performances.