• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Solution for rain rule

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Rain rules can be left to the management. The players should just do their job and play to win. Had the South Africans played for a win in those 2 matches in the World Cup, they could have won.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I think the Duckworth/Lewis method is fantastic at the moment, but maybe I'm so enamoured because of recent changes that have made a great deal of sense, 'cause the old system used to suck so badly.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BTW, there's a few reasons the tennis analogy won't work (although it was a nice idea):

1) Where cricket is concerned, the lights are supposed to be off by a certain time, in keeping with respecting residents' wishes (they're far more powerful and higher in comparison to those used for the tennis).

2) The tennis can be continued the next day because there are multiple games being played each day. So slotting in a completion in between other games is possible. With the cricket, the ground's to be deserted tomorrow, and you couldn't charge for the additional day. And if it's a double header, you can't slot the game in before the next, or they won't have time to complete their game (and playing in the morning will change the playing conditions drastically).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
I think the Duckworth/Lewis method is fantastic at the moment, but maybe I'm so enamoured because of recent changes that have made a great deal of sense, 'cause the old system used to suck so badly.
What changes are these then?

I can't remember any!

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
What changes are these then?

I can't remember any!
The tables used as a basis for their equations were updated by Duckworth and Lewis in October 2003, and the system became "Duckworth/Lewis Professional Edition" after the possibility became noticed that India were frighteningly close to winning the World Cup final against Australia at 3/145 (chasing 360) after 23 overs, with rain threatening. One of the changes was to revise the par system for exceptionally high first innings scores as a result.

But, even though this does improve the system significantly, my post was poorly worded (it was late at night, and I was tired). When I said "the old system", I was referring to the old Most Productive Overs method, which is what left South Africa 1 ball to make 22 runs in the '92 World Cup. I don't think that Duckworth/Lewis has ever sucked too hard.

cbuts

International Debutant
i was about to bring up the 92 WC game myself. D/L may not be perfect but at the moment its the best we got.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
BTW, there's a few reasons the tennis analogy won't work (although it was a nice idea):

1) Where cricket is concerned, the lights are supposed to be off by a certain time, in keeping with respecting residents' wishes (they're far more powerful and higher in comparison to those used for the tennis).

2) The tennis can be continued the next day because there are multiple games being played each day. So slotting in a completion in between other games is possible. With the cricket, the ground's to be deserted tomorrow, and you couldn't charge for the additional day. And if it's a double header, you can't slot the game in before the next, or they won't have time to complete their game (and playing in the morning will change the playing conditions drastically).
You are right. And another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Tennis is played where one player can be ahead and it is equal (it is hard to explain). Whereas in cricket one team bats than the other bats. I guess the best comparison would be if tennis were to be like cricket - one player would come out and serve all their games, then the other player would go out and serve their games.

P.S. I know this is worded extremely poorly, but I have a hangover and can't think properly