• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One-from-each-era draft 2014

bagapath

International Captain
After Nufan completes the Sheep Draft, I want to start a new draft in which we select one player from each era of test cricket and build a team.

The eleven eras I have divided the game into are:

The early years: 1877 - 1899 (23 years)
The golden age: 1900 - 1914 (15 years)
After the big war: 1919 - 1928 (10 years)
The Bradman era: 1929 - 1939 (11 years)
Post WW 2: 1945 - 1954 (10 years)
Test cricket reinvented: 1955 - 1964 (10 years)
The Soby era/ birth of ODIs/ SA isolation: 1965 - 1974 (10 years)
Packer tour/ helmets/ four all rounders/ Windies under Lloyd: 1975 - 1984 (10 years)
ODI era/ India slowly becomes the business capital/ SA back in the fold/ third umpire: 1985 - 1994 (10 years)
Batsman's dream/Aussies under Taylor and Waugh/ Warne - Murali era: 1995 - 2004 (10 years)
Tests in the T20 age: 2005 - 2014 (9 years)

I am thinking of the following conditions:

1. A player should have played at east 15 tests in the era he is selected for.
2. He should have played at least 50% of the matches in his career in the era he is selected for.
3. We will, for convenience, keep Jan 01 as the start date for each era for any given year and Dec 31st as the finishing date. We will use starting dates of test matches to slot them into eras.
4. If any player's career is bisected into 14 tests each into two different eras, we will make an exception.
5. If any pre WW 2 player's career is reduced to less than 15 tests in an era due to the division, we will make an exception and make him available for selection for the era he has played more tests in (assuming he has played more than 15 tests in his career).

If at least 6 of you show interest we can start this thread next week.

Before that, do let me know if you have any suggestions.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In, and good idea

You could reduce the number from 15 to 5 as well, given that the only objective is to keep Barry Richards out. :)

bagapath

International Captain
That is nine players already. May be one more. And we are good to go.

I will follow this same order for first round and slide the top player to the last for next.

Will randomize the eras for each round.

watson

Banned
That is nine players already. May be one more. And we are good to go.

I will follow this same order for first round and slide the top player to the last for next.

Will randomize the eras for each round.
Perhaps you should let each player choose their own era for each round. That way you get maximum strategy.

Last edited:

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Fits into the Bradman era category IIRC.
I think Kyear meant that there should be some sort of "punishment" should anyone pick Bradman like we had in Monk's draft. Otherwise whoever gets to draft first in that Bradman era would go for Bradman would have a massive advantage compares to rest of us.

bagapath

International Captain
I want to offer Don Bradman in a package. that is, if you pick him for the 1928-39 era, Ishant Sharma will become your automatic pick for the 2008-14 era irrespective of which era of the two comes up earlier in the draft.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FTR how is the draft sorted? Like do we pick one from the first era, one from the second, etc, or do we just do it like a normal draft except with the era clause?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Kyear meant that there should be some sort of "punishment" should anyone pick Bradman like we had in Monk's draft. Otherwise whoever gets to draft first in that Bradman era would go for Bradman would have a massive advantage compares to rest of us.
It was a joke. I Forgot draft = serious business so apologies all round.