• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Project Raina part 2

cnerd123

likes this
Saha isn't that bad a batsman; average 44 in FC with 8 tons in 101 innings. But yea, would be a risk sticking him in at 6, especially given his general lack of experience in foreign conditions. Ojha might do a better job at 6.

If a lack of MSD means only 4 bowlers...Ashwin/Bhuvi/Ishant/Yadav with Rohit, Dhawan, Vijay filling in I suppose.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Yeah it's a risk. I say we should take it. Bhuvi and Aaron are undroppable for me. Basically it's between Umesh, Shami, and Ishant for the third pacer spot. I don't think there is a massive difference and Umesh is in good form. I couldn't give less of a flying load of crap about giving another chance to Ishant to prove anything.

Bias there maybe. Whatever.
So is Ishant, he had a good tour of NZ and England.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Squad for the tests:

MS Dhoni (capt), Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Wriddhiman Saha, Naman Ojha, R Ashwin, Karn Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron

It has happened.
****ing ridiculous.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So is Ishant, he had a good tour of NZ and England.
Yeah, you are right. So is OS. I just don't like Ishant and I like Umesh. Maybe that's what making me think Umesh will do a better/as-good job as the GOAT.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Varun Aaron keeps getting injured, Umesh Yadav has been bowling in international games, no matter how poor the quality of these games. We need one bowler of pace. Morover, Yadav has bowled fairly consistently. Sure, he has not bowled every thing on the off or near off but his consistency has improved compared to 12 months back. Plus Yadav has experience of the last test series in Australia. I would be very surprised if he is not picked in the first test.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Shami and Ishant will be our best 2 bets with the ball. I'm a little sceptical about Bhuvi's effectiveness in Australia - happy to be proven wrong though

Given Ashwin's record in Australia, he isn't an automatic choice for the first test either.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind the Raina selection.

India will want to play 3 quicks, in which case they probably need a batting allrounder. Raina is as good a batting allrounder as India has available, IMO.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Let Varun Aaron work on his fitness for a while on the tour. He gets injured in the first Test, we're forced to play with three bowlers...sets the wrong tone for the series. Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar, and Ishant along with Ashwin for the first Test. Aaron can come into the picture from the 2nd Test onward.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, Raina isn't even a passable stock bowler for tests. Averages close to 40 in FC level in bowling. Not to mention, he is not a test quality batsman by any standard.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
a 40 average is more than good enough for a part timer. He's the 5th bowling option here, not the 4th.

cnerd123

likes this
A) if you want a batsman who bowls at 6 - pick Rohit
B) if you want a fifth bowler who bats left handed and ineffectively and is good in the field - pick Jadeja

Really don't see what Raina offers