• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Project Raina part 2

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Squad for the tests:

MS Dhoni (capt), Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Wriddhiman Saha, Naman Ojha, R Ashwin, Karn Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron

It has happened.

cnerd123

likes this
Well 1-4 are confirmed, and assuming the keeper at 6 and Ashwin/Jadeja as 7/8...the question is will Raina actually play over Rohit/Rahane?

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Well 1-4 are confirmed, and assuming the keeper at 6 and Ashwin/Jadeja as 7/8...the question is will Raina actually play over Rohit/Rahane?
Rahane is also confirmed for the fifth spot in our test XI. Its between Rohit and Raina for number 6 spot

cnerd123

likes this
Rahane is also confirmed for the fifth spot in our test XI. Its between Rohit and Raina for number 6 spot
India's reverting back to 7 batsmen 4 bowlers?

Thought they would have stuck with the 5 bowler experiment a bit longer. Ashwin-Jadeja-Bhuvi do make a good 7-8-9, and having those 3 + Ishant helps cover for Yadav/Aaron.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain

Thought they would have stuck with the 5 bowler experiment a bit longer. Ashwin-Jadeja-Bhuvi do make a good 7-8-9, and having those 3 + Ishant helps cover for Yadav/Aaron.
Ya I think for the first match they will go with 7 batsmen and 4 bowlers with our 4 bowlers being Ishant, Kumar, Yadav/Aaron and Ashwin

cnerd123

likes this
2 spinners 3 quicks is the best way to go IMO. Allows for the quicks to bowl shorter spells and conserve their energy, and Aus will have scars of non-turning left arm spin from Babar that Jaddu could exploit.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just know they are going to play Raina in the warm up game where the Aussies will deliberately give him dollies, and next thing you know:

harsh.ag

It is quite amazing how Shami has moved out of the reckoning so quickly. Would have him over Ishant any day (the selectors would beg to differ with me, of course).

My attack would be Yadav, Aaron, and Bhuvi. Bhuvi and Umesh to open. Let's have a go at the Aussies!

morgieb

2 spinners 3 quicks is the best way to go IMO. Allows for the quicks to bowl shorter spells and conserve their energy, and Aus will have scars of non-turning left arm spin from Babar that Jaddu could exploit.
This isn't the UAE. We've coped very well against spinners in Australia, Jadeja won't be much of a concern IMO. No opposition spinners since Kumble have done particularly well against us in Australian conditions.

OverratedSanity

It is quite amazing how Shami has moved out of the reckoning so quickly. Would have him over Ishant any day (the selectors would beg to differ with me, of course).

My attack would be Yadav, Aaron, and Bhuvi. Bhuvi and Umesh to open. Let's have a go at the Aussies!
I'm glad you aren't a selector. As ridiculous as this sounds, dropping Ishant now would be unfair to him and wouldn't be the right decision. He was genuinely, objectively, not utterly woeful in England. That's more than enough to make the Indian side as a bowler. He'll probably get smashed because he's a bad bowler, but give him a chance so that we have definitive proof that his 3 5-fers in the year have been flukes.

And Yadav, Aaron and Bhuvi in the same side?! Man, no way. I made a post a while back how that attack would be mince-meat for Australia. Just so risky to go with an attack like that.. worse than 2 spinners imo. Umesh/Aaron-Ishant-Bhuvi-Ashwin. that's it. No other combo can work, atleast as an initial selection for the first test.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

I'm glad you aren't a selector. As ridiculous as this sounds, dropping Ishant now would be unfair to him and wouldn't be the right decision. He was genuinely, objectively, not utterly woeful in England. That's more than enough to make the Indian side as a bowler. He'll probably get smashed because he's a bad bowler, but give him a chance so that we have definitive proof that his 3 5-fers in the year have been flukes.

And Yadav, Aaron and Bhuvi in the same side?! Man, no way. I made a post a while back how that attack would be mince-meat for Australia. Just so risky to go with an attack like that.. worse than 2 spinners imo. Umesh/Aaron-Ishant-Bhuvi-Ashwin. that's it. No other combo can work, atleast as an initial selection for the first test.
Yeah it's a risk. I say we should take it. Bhuvi and Aaron are undroppable for me. Basically it's between Umesh, Shami, and Ishant for the third pacer spot. I don't think there is a massive difference and Umesh is in good form. I couldn't give less of a flying load of crap about giving another chance to Ishant to prove anything.

Bias there maybe. Whatever.

cnerd123

likes this
This isn't the UAE. We've coped very well against spinners in Australia, Jadeja won't be much of a concern IMO. No opposition spinners since Kumble have done particularly well against us in Australian conditions.
Well the idea behind two spinners isn't to run through Australia, it's to bowl containing overs so we can rotate our fragile quicks and not bowl them into the ground. The problems for India arise when, as we saw in England, the fast bowlers tire out and breakdown over the course of a 5 Test Series. And most of that is down to them having to bowl 20 odd overs every innings and not having the strength and fitness to do so across 5 Tests.

Really, the best solution to avoid this is to play both Ashwin and Jadeja, take the minor hit to the batting strength, and keep the three quicks fresh by bowling them in short spells and giving them fewer overs each innings. You can also rotate Yadav and Aaron if necessary, so they can go all out each time they bowl.

Between Ashwin, Jadeja and Ishant bowling the stock overs, you can have Bhuvi bowl nice long spells with the new ball, and Yadav/Aaron tearing in for short, quick, bursts.

Now...if after the first test Ashwin and Jadeja fail to show the ability to contain, then we have problems...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

If Dhoni misses the first Test, then surely they can't give Saha the gig at 6?