• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Domestic Off Season 2014-2015***

Woodster

International Captain
So with the 2014 cricket season being cancelled and declared null and void its time to start thinking about the off season.

Lets start with some fantastic news. Watkinson has stepped down, lets hope this signifies real change and we don't end up with Ashley Giles.

BBC Sport - Lancashire: Mike Watkinson steps down as cricket director
Yes with the unfortunate relegation now may be the ideal time to have a restructure at OT. Still reckon Giles is going to be the man to come in and take charge.

Woodster

International Captain
Going to start this new thread with a look at some of the moves that have already taken place since the season has finished just in case anyone's missed any, I know I did.

Derbyshire seamer Tim Groenewald has joined Somerset, while Essex have lost two outstanding prospects in keepr-batsman Ben Foakes, who has joined Surrey, and Tymal Mills who is yet to sign with another county but rejected an 'attractive' offer from Essex. It seems Worcester and Sussex are the early contenders for his signature. The Gidman brothers have both left Gloucestershire and will no doubt leave a massive hole for John Bracewell to attempt to fill. Alex has joined Worcester while all-rounder Will has moved to Nottinghamshire. Andre Adams has perhaps unsurprisingly moved on from Trent Bridge, he's joined Hampshire on a short-term deal as a player-coach and will spend three months at the Rose Bowl before taking up coaching duties in Auckland.

Moving out from Hampshire is David Balcombe who is heading to the Oval. Lancashire signed Leicestershire quick Nathan Buck but fringe batsman Andrea Aganthangelou has left Lancs and will be hoping another county will take him on. Buck isn't the only promising youngster heading out of Grace Road, Shiv Thakor has joined Derbyshire, Greg Smith to Notts and Josh Cobb has gone to Northants. He'll be joined at Northants by former Middlesex keeper Adam Rossington. Opportunities behind the sticks for Rossington were in short supply and Angus Fraser has stated that John Simpson remains the county's number one keeper.

That about wraps up the major moves so far, though another free agent that may raise interest from other counties is Azeem Rafiq who has been released from Yorkshire. And some bloke called Kevin something or other is a free agent and may be interested in a few freelance opportunities.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
I hear James Vince might be going to play cricket for the Dolphins in South Africa during the winter, but I'm not sure whether it's a multi-format thing or he'll just be a T20 ringer. A good season there could spell an England call-up...

But in regards to KP, he'll probably skip out on England, certainly CC and RLODC. He'll play IPL at the beginning of the season, head over to the CPL in August, so he'll probably have a break during the middle of the summer. Perhaps sign up for a T20 Blast with a county.

Woodster

International Captain
I hear James Vince might be going to play cricket for the Dolphins in South Africa during the winter, but I'm not sure whether it's a multi-format thing or he'll just be a T20 ringer. A good season there could spell an England call-up...

But in regards to KP, he'll probably skip out on England, certainly CC and RLODC. He'll play IPL at the beginning of the season, head over to the CPL in August, so he'll probably have a break during the middle of the summer. Perhaps sign up for a T20 Blast with a county.
Yes I presume Dale Benkenstein has had plenty of input on this possible move for Vince. Would be a fantastic opportunity for him to experience a different first-class competition and conditions in SA, and will prepare him nicely for the England Lions when he joins up with them in the New Year.

Yes can't see KP appearing for any county again, not eve in T20. Am I right in thinking there could be retrospective recriminations for the recent revelations in his book by the ECB should they feel it necessary? Not sure any county would want the hassle now.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So with the 2014 cricket season being cancelled and declared null and void its time to start thinking about the off season.

Lets start with some fantastic news. Watkinson has stepped down, lets hope this signifies real change and we don't end up with Ashley Giles.

BBC Sport - Lancashire: Mike Watkinson steps down as cricket director
Ashley Giles set to be new coach and director of cricket at Lancashire | Sport | The Guardian

Bloody hell. It isnt easy be a Lancs fan is it?

Ha...

Hahaha

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In more Lancashire news, Chapple is stepping down as captain and taking a coaching role under Giles. Still considering playing on too, by the sounds of things. Would love to see him get to 1000 FC poles, tbh.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes Giles was always likely to take on this role, and while he may be a less than exciting option I expect he'll make Lancs into an efficient side capable of climbing out of Div 2 at the first time of asking. But I do think a fair turnover of playing staff is required and now represents as good a time as ever to carry out such a transition.

Woodster

International Captain
Unsurprisingly I suppose, John Bracwell has turned to his native New Zealand in attempt to fill the gaps left by the Gidman brothers. All-rounder Kieran Noema-Barnett has signed a three-year deal as a non-overseas player due to a British passport. From what I understand more of a one-dayer force than a first-class performer, he played a 2nd XI game for Gloucester at the end of last season and presumably Bracewell must have liked what he saw/heard.

Another possible non-overseas signing is Nathan Rimmington who may return to Hampshire where he made one CC and one T20 appearance for the county last season when Kyle Abbott was unavailable. Lack of first-class opportunities back home may see Rimmington make the switch.

Irish spinner George Dockrell has signed on to remain at Somerset for next season at least. Just a one-year contract at Taunton for Dockrell may suggest that this is a big year ahead for him if he wishes to remain at Somerset.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
KNB is average by CD standards (which is average by NZ standards), meaning he will fit right at home in Div 2.

Flem274*

123/5
Considering what Ryder and Franklin have done in Div 2 compared to what they do over here, KNBs 110kph dobbers are going to be trolling h4x on a level not seen yet by a kiwi medium pace bowling allrounder in England.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah I see he's already proven he can nick out one of the best bats in Div 2 there, before he's even got a Duke.

Woodster

International Captain
Obviously will reserve judgement till they get games, but at least this gives the right impression. Maybe I was a little too pessimistic over Giles

Giles hands teenage trio contracts | England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) - The Official Website of the ECB
Yes I've played against Parkinson a few times and he has improved year on year, didn't turn it massively last time I faced him, but enough, and bowls with a flatter trajectory now and better pace which does make him more of a threat, especially when you're perhaps not as nimble on your feet as you might like to be! Looks a very promising leggie.

Woodster

International Captain
It seems Leicestershire are shaking up their coaching and management structure with Phil Whitticase no longer being employed as the Director of Cricket as that position is now classed as 'outstructured'. They are at pains to point out however that Whitticase has not left the club and discussions with him are underway as to another position he may take up. I suppose when a team doesn't win a County Championship game in two years and all the talented players that are coming through are seemingly jumping ship, then something rather severe must be done. The level of severity in this restructure does depend on the measures taken going forward, you feel it does require something drastic to change the current mentality that must exist at a club that has had very little to cheer about in recent times. A role somewhere for Paul Nixon (though not entirely sure what he's up to now)? He seems the type of competitor and Leicester man (not meaning by birthplace but years of service) that may help begin a turnaround in the club's fortunes.

Good news for Foxes fans I guess is Ned Eckersley signing on for another year, with the recent departures of Greg Smith, Josh Cobb, Shiv Thakor and Nathan Buck, it was important a key player such as Eckersley didn't also follow them out of the door.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Kieswetter has signed up for the ram slam. Joins some West Indians who suddenly have some free time in their schedule.

John Etheridge seems to think the lions squad for SA in the new year is named tomorrow and that Trott will be in it. Don't want Trott back for test cricket but if they could I'd swap him back in for Cook or Bell into the ODI team in time for the WC

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lions squad named. Just 7 Yorkshire players in the 14 man squad.

Bairstow, Ballance, Billings, Brooks, Lees, Lyth, Overton C, Plunkett, Rankin, Rashid, Riley, Robson, TROTT, Vince.

Parry, Patel and Roy join for the limited overs games with Trott, Robson and Riley dropping out.