• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket history- Q & A

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The purpose of this thread is to discuss aspects of cricket history and share resources and books that are helpful.

I enjoy cricket history, I know quite a bit (more than I used to!) but there's plenty I don't know but would like to know. I've been slowly building a library of cricket history books and resources for a decade or so with the intention of one day being a bit of an authority on cricket history. We'll see.

Anyway, ask and answer or share as you will. I have a simple question that I'd like an answer to if possible, to kick things off: Has changing of ends between overs always happened, or in the very early days of formalised cricket did bowlers bowl from only one end?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I presume its called an over because there has always, since the first set of laws in 1774 were produced anyway, been a "change over" after a certain number of deliveries, which has at various times been 4, 5, 6 and 8