• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You know, Wellington, Siddons coaching South Australia could give your prospects a real shot in the arm!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Siddons gone?

Jamie Siddons set to quit Cricket Wellington for South Australia job | Stuff.co.nz

Not quite sure who Tim Nielsen's been talking too concerning Siddons ability to develop young players though. It's been by far his greatest failing during his tenure at Wellington. Methinks the Redhacks haven't done their due diligence enough.
Ha yeah, I had a giggle at that. As recently evidenced by his decision to play Deepak ****ing Joon or whatever his name is, a 32-33 year old failed Indian opener.

Siddons has contributed bugger all. No one apart from Ronchi has debuted under him for NZ in four years, and none of their kids have become any good. In fact a few of them have given up altogether. And none have become better players and assimilated back into the national side.

So off you go Jamie.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ha yeah, I had a giggle at that. As recently evidenced by his decision to play Deepak ****ing Joon or whatever his name is, a 32-33 year old failed Indian opener.

Siddons has contributed bugger all. No one apart from Ronchi has debuted under him for NZ in four years, and none of their kids have become any good. In fact a few of them have given up altogether. And none have become better players and assimilated back into the national side.

So off you go Jamie.
Boam's name may have been gotten thrown around for this England tour with the injuries. #stillhurts

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll make that video public, so any of you can search for it and amuse me again by putting it in future domestic threads.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's was poured into the feeding tray for the agribusiness pigs, on the Veitchy of Sport Facebook page. Not that I follow Veitchy; someone retweeted the link.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Siddons has contributed bugger all. No one apart from Ronchi has debuted under him for NZ in four years, and none of their kids have become any good. In fact a few of them have given up altogether. And none have become better players and assimilated back into the national side. [/a]

So off you go Jamie.

Grant Elliot?

"I feel confident in my power game that I can strike boundaries when I need to and [coach] Jamie Siddons has been pretty good helping me get to that point over the last three years. That showed in the T20 and maybe that was the piece of the puzzle I needed."
From Beaver to Dreamer: Grant Elliott could be Black Caps' Stephen Donald | Stuff.co.nz

jcas0167

International Debutant
Oh my god. Big hitzzz!!111!

Yessss
The Siddons' batting philosophy seems to have been embraced at development level so it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in outcomes with future Wellington players. Ironically, this article mentions Walsh as a natural exponent of the Siddons' approach which I suppose highlights the main frustration with his tenure.

There had initially been scepticism about Siddons and his "way". But when an old bloke like Papps was suddenly hitting balls back over bowlers' heads, en route to scoring 609 runs at 76.12 in last season's 50-over competition, that changed.

Siddons' philosophy is now applied across the board in all of CW's programmes, right down to the 13-year-olds starting out in the Future Firebirds' scheme.

"To be totally honest, we've not been very good at producing batsmen," CW college cricket co-ordinator Rhys Morgan said.

"Take James Franklin out of the equation, whose batting's improved as his career's gone on, but before that you're looking at the likes of [Bruce] Edgar as the last guy we brought through the school ranks and turned into a pretty good international batsman.

"Things really had to change."

Which has meant unbundling the games of Year 9 and 10 players and giving them the tools to hit the ball hard and straight.

"It's about early preparation, in terms of picking your bat up, and there was maybe a little bit of a misunderstanding around the fact people thought it was just about a high backlift," said Morgan....

Right now those hopes are pinned on Henry Walsh. Not only because the 19-year-old's arguably the cleanest hitter of a ball in town, but because he's largely free of the coaching that can stymie emerging careers.

Walsh's free and full swing of the bat is exactly what Siddons preaches, so he's been left to play that way.

"I'm a little bit bigger than the average guy, so I've got that extra power and I've always hit straight and always looked to hit big. It's just my natural game," Walsh said.

Morgan believes Walsh is the prototype of the next generation of Wellington cricketers and that these methods are not a fad that will disappear when Siddons does.
Lift in bats, lift in averages - cricket - sport | Stuff.co.nz

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Siddons' batting philosophy seems to have been embraced at development level so it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in outcomes with future Wellington players. Ironically, this article mentions Walsh as a natural exponent of the Siddons' approach which I suppose highlights the main frustration with his tenure.

Lift in bats, lift in averages - cricket - sport | Stuff.co.nz
Walsh has always been oversold as a batting talent by the depressive jobbers at the Dom Post tbh. You can trust Meridio on this, Walsh was never a great prodigy ruined by any means.

Weerasundara seemingly can't get past Deepak Joon yet because of the technique, but then again, he's also a digital ager who doesn't seem to use it on club pitches advisedly. The veterans who could hold their own in a discussion with Siddons and applied it to their games with a bit more discretion did do reasonably well with it, as jcas0167 points out.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nick Beard cleared to bowl again after taking himself off the domestic scene in December. More in decent newspapers tomorrow.