• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

Flem274*

123/5
Not the first game it's happened iirc. Off the top of my head it's been a successful move and our one day batting has been pretty weak before this season so moving one of the few long term performers up the order isn't a bad plan.

This Auckland attack is going to be one of those annoying ones that looks vulnerable on paper but performs annoyingly well isn't it. Bates only having two overs so far is surprising. Saving him for the death?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Malan has a lot of love for Kruger, often promoting him atm......Cleaver's quite good value.

A contractual obligation with NZC must be the only reason the TAB even try to run a book on some of this domestic cricket at times tbh. Bargains galore.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Not the first game it's happened iirc. Off the top of my head it's been a successful move and our one day batting has been pretty weak before this season so moving one of the few long term performers up the order isn't a bad plan.

This Auckland attack is going to be one of those annoying ones that looks vulnerable on paper but performs annoyingly well isn't it. Bates only having two overs so far is surprising. Saving him for the death?
Yeah, he's been a consistent performer along with Cleaver and today looks like no exception. Great recovery after losing both the openers for 3 runs.

Howsie

International Captain
I've always liked the look of Cleaver, should've moved to ND two seasons ago when he was offered a contract, Van Wyk isn't going anywhere soon.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah let's not take CdG on any more A tours, thanks. I think we all know how little progress and evolution in his game there'll have been, even five years from now.

Carlchopa's never been the same since he married his hot wife. I think it was Agribusiness who probably made Carl aware that limited and grafting top order players would never make a comeback in New Zealand, and that it was time for him to lose the remnants of his South African values, settle into the Kiwi way of life.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Small creaming it so far; 29 off 13 at the death with the bat & now 3-24 off 6 with the ball :blink:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Bates playing a captains knock.

A good turnaround for CD after last season, making van Wyk captain seems to have been a good move.

'''He's the ultimate professional in terms of his physical preparation and match prep and that's something that all the guys in our team look up to,'' said Malan of van Wyk, 34.

"Every time we get ourselves in trouble, at 120-5 or something, he comes in at seven and he's the grinder and the battler and he leads from the front in all aspects.''

'Kruger's a different kettle of fish when it comes to cricket. He over-thinks and over-analyses, so it's going to be good for me to challenge him in a different way and for him to challenge me.''..
"I want to see us play with a smile and have a lot of fun so we'll go back to those things,"...

"From now it's cricket so we've got to get our hands dirty and go from here," says the South African-born cricketer who Malan has given licence "to be his own man".

"That's important to me as well because I want to captain as I believe it should be done."

He lauds Malan for providing players a platform to enhance their own careers.

"That's what I'm excited about as well because he shows a lot of trust in people ... "

"We have players who have been with CD for [several years] and they have become household names so I'm waiting for them to get themselves into a nice routine of performance in all three formats.

"There are no new faces or big faces or overseas signings but 16 CD boys who want to do well and that's what I'm happy about."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503460&objectid=11340553

Malan on last season:

The Stags finished fifth in the Plunket Shield four-dayers and last in both limited-overs competitions this season, a disappointing result for the South African native Malan, who took over from Alan Hunt this summer.

Malan starts his season post mortem and player reviews this week, and said he would have to be honest about things with the players.

"Performance justifies selection, not just talent," he said. "There's going to be a couple of harsh words spoken in between."

Malan said it had been a strange season and he wasn't content with the results, but was happy with the feeling within the team. "I think when we look at it from a performance point of view, we're a long way off where we want to be."

CD had two wins and six losses in the one-day competition, seven losses and three washouts in the Twenty20 leg and two wins, five draws and three losses in the Plunket Shield as defending champions.

Malan pointed out they were a young team who were getting used to the rigours of first-class cricket; he just has to make sure they prepare properly.

"It's one thing having a game plan and chatting about things, but it's a whole different ball game once you get across the line, doing it against quality opposition.

"All the guys that have done well against us have been playing for the Black Caps in the last 18 months."

In two or three years he hoped their young players would be pushing for New Zealand spots.

One problematic area was runs at the top of the order, as they lost regular wickets against the new ball, and it cost them a lot.

By the end of the season, Manawatu players Dane Cleaver, Dave Meiring, Roald Badenhorst and Bevan Small joined regulars Adam Milne, Jamie How and Tarun Nethula in the team at some stage.

"They slotted in nicely," Malan said. "They got the opportunity to play and showed they're not far out of their depth.

"It comes down to a little bit of experience and feeling comfortable in first-class cricket. So there's still a couple of areas [to work on], especially from batting and fielding point of view."
Stags will do better next year, vows Malan | Stuff.co.nz

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Illustration of how much impact the Saffa diaspora is having on NZ cricket, in particular Auckland cricket, in particular East Auckland cricket ......

7 SA born players in that Auckland lineup, plus 1 Zimbabwean. Plus 1 Indian born player.

Interesting that there is negligible impact on rugby from the Saffa diaspora. Can the Saffa born sporty sons of Saffa immigrants not bring themselves to be All Blacks due to the rivalry?, but ok with blackcaps?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Illustration of how much impact the Saffa diaspora is having on NZ cricket, in particular Auckland cricket, in particular East Auckland cricket ......

7 SA born players in that Auckland lineup, plus 1 Zimbabwean. Plus 1 Indian born player.

Interesting that there is negligible impact on rugby from the Saffa diaspora. Can the Saffa born sporty sons of Saffa immigrants not bring themselves to be All Blacks due to the rivalry?, but ok with blackcaps?
Bloody good point, that I hadn't thought of. Probably the competitive environment in rugby has a lot to do with it, but you'd think 1 or 2 would make it. I actually can't think of one who has cracked it provincially in Auckland.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Greg Rawlinson?
Yep good call, but he came to NZ as a first-class rugby player I think - as opposed to all the guys in the Auckland set-up (minus CDG).

Amazingly, around 6-7 years ago Grobs was playing 4th grade at Howick in his mid 20s. Not just because it's such a strong club, but he just didn't take it seriously. Probably won't play for NZ but if guys like ET, Brad Scott etc can, no reason he can't.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Wellington are a disgraceful cricket province. Some 32 year old failed Ranji Trophy player Deepak Joon is apparently in line to play today. FMD chuck these clowns out already. Over half their squad for this round are imports, they add nothing to NZ cricket and have the worst coach in the provincial game.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellington are a disgraceful cricket province. Some 32 year old failed Ranji Trophy player Deepak Joon is apparently in line to play today. FMD chuck these clowns out already. Over half their squad for this round are imports, they add nothing to NZ cricket and have the worst coach in the provincial game.
Hard to disagree with this. Add to the fact that they have two players in the WC squad, neither of whom are naturalised Kiwis or raised in the province. Their coach is the issue, no real interest in feeding the national side. All about him

Chubb

International Regular
Hard to disagree with this. Add to the fact that they have two players in the WC squad, neither of whom are naturalised Kiwis or raised in the province. Their coach is the issue, no real interest in feeding the national side. All about him
I live a minutes walk from the Basin, am about to go down and watch the first hour before heading to my own game, I can't stand Cricket Wellington and find Siddons bizarre. But then I haven't scored however many thousand FC runs so what do I know?

EDIT: At the basin. Joon doesn't even have a particularly high backlift so how did he get a game?

Last edited: