• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

Athlai

Not Terrible
This is the end of NZ domestic cricket. That CD side is just terribad.

God imagine if CD won.

Wellington/CD the trophy winners so far. Urgh. I'm all for patriotic jammyness, but you do start to worry when it's all jam and no peanut butter.

Howsie

International Captain
Scott Kuggeleijn, Mitchell Santner, Anurag Verma, Joe Walker, Owen Ivins and now Mattie Thomas. Six guys who played together at HBHS who have now gone on to play domestic cricket. Best NZ school team ever assembled?

jcas0167

International Debutant
This is the end of NZ domestic cricket. That CD side is just terribad.

God imagine if CD won.

Wellington/CD the trophy winners so far. Urgh. I'm all for patriotic jammyness, but you do start to worry when it's all jam and no peanut butter.
They have a core of solid players and some guys have had exceptional campaigns. Worker, Young & van Vyk have done well. A young player like Cleaver has come in and excelled. In this game you had a guy on debut who top scored and it looks like Bracewell bowled well.

I love this cricinfo report:

Little-known TC Bruce, playing his first competitive game at domestic level, slammed 88 off 65 balls to propel Central Districts to a 49-run victory against Otago in New Plymouth, and set up a finals clash against Auckland on February 1.

Not much about Bruce is common knowledge at present - not his age, not his place of birth, not his previous cricket pedigree, and not his playing style - but he came out at No. 5 for Central Districts and hit half a dozen sixes and five fours to lift his team to 252 before they were dismissed in 48.1 overs.
Central Districts v Otago, Ford Trophy, 3rd preliminary final Report : Bolter Bruce bats Central Districts into final | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
They have a core of solid players and some guys have had exceptional campaigns. Worker, Young & van Vyk have done well. A young player like Cleaver has come in and excelled. In this game you had a guy on debut who top scored and it looks like Bracewell bowled well.

I love this cricinfo report:

Central Districts v Otago, Ford Trophy, 3rd preliminary final Report : Bolter Bruce bats Central Districts into final | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo
Haha, what a **** report. Get on a phone you lazy prick, whoever you are...or use this thing called Google, which told me his name was Tom within 5 seconds of effort. More dug up that he is 23, from the Naki, and played for Canterbury A in rugby too.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'd doubt lazy itbt, just a pretty standard young Asian worker for ESPNCricinfo I'd presume. Putting a bit of your own initiative into your work is probably frowned upon, big time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'd doubt lazy itbt, just a pretty standard young Asian worker for ESPNCricinfo I'd presume. Putting a bit of your own initiative into your work is probably frowned upon, big time.
Not using a first name, unless absolutely undoable, to me is disrespectful. If you work for cricinfo, you're able to google. And from there, it was easy. Don't expect a life story, just a name. Trying to fob off that his info was unavailable, like we're still stuck in the teletext era, is rubbish.

Auckland Cricket did it too, in a article on their 19s side which is absolutely unforgivable.

I hate modern media. The early era Heath Davis of media - All pace and no accuracy. And no balls.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I was about to post a sarcastic comment expressing mock surprise about Rutherford being dismissed unable to execute a simple leg side shot.

But then saw M Bracewell was out first ball in identical manner, so as a M Bracewell fan, I'll have to suggest that maybe the pitch was holding up a bit ..... ?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just received this e-mail regarding Sommet Sports, the now defunct NZ television channel which used to show AFL, Caribbean Premier League and a whole host of other sports:

----

With was great sadness Sommet Sports stopped transmission on Friday 12 December due to lack of funding initially promised to us from financiers.

Sommet amazingly managed to deliver quality Sports television for 18 months on 1/3 of the funding initially assured to us.

Since our closure we have been greatly humbled by the many messages of support and dismay from viewers throughout the country who have loved watching the many sports events that we delivered FREE to all New Zealanders 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Many have asked us to seriously consider Crowd funding. This is where the public fund a project or idea.

Well.. we have an idea.

Would you consider pledging a sum to return you sports channel to New Zealand screens?

We would love to know.

Tell us your ideas.

Would you pledge $100 donation and also receive a Sommet Sports T-Shirt?

Would you gift $50 to us for a 4GB pin drive?

Would you be interested in giving a donation of $5 to $10 per month?

Or would you like to give a one off smaller donation?

Or do you have any other ideas where you can support us to get back on air?

Please can you also pass this email onto family and friends that might be interested in helping Sommet get back on air?

Thanks and kind regards

Andrew Reeves

-----

Even if you're not willing to support it in a financial sense, I suspect it'd be reassuring for them to hear from people willing for a bit more competition in the Sports broadcasting market (who knows, maybe they'd want to show the Ford Trophy).

Flem274*

123/5
If they showed live World Cup qualifiers and Grand Prix (as opposed to delayed coverage on the Country Channel) and the Plunket Shield live I'd donate my firstborn.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I imagine though that the cost of hiring and transporting camera men, equipment and commentators would be significantly more expensive than just plugging into the feed for the CPL. Still I'll get in touch with them and see how I can offer my support.

jcas0167

International Debutant
If they showed live World Cup qualifiers and Grand Prix (as opposed to delayed coverage on the Country Channel) and the Plunket Shield live I'd donate my firstborn.
Heh, I remember Sky once televising a random Plunket Shield game between Northern Districts and Auckland in 93/94. Roydon Hayes was playing and Andrew Reinhold got runs and was briefly spoken of as an opening contender to face Wasim & Waqar.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Heh, I remember Sky once televising a random Plunket Shield game between Northern Districts and Auckland in 93/94. Roydon Hayes was playing and Andrew Reinhold got runs and was briefly spoken of as an opening contender to face Wasim & Waqar.
Life hasn't gone so well for Roydon since then. Wonder what he's up to these days

jcas0167

International Debutant
Life hasn't gone so well for Roydon since then. Wonder what he's up to these days
That's a shame. I went to a coaching clinic he ran at Mount Manganui in 1995. He had played a couple of ODI's for NZ earlier that year and showed how Stephen Fleming stood in his stance. I also remember him asking some guy "did you drop your guts mate?".

Binkley

U19 Captain
True story, in 2007 or 2008 I won a New Zealand cricket fan of the year competition by writing about sneaking out of school to watch Roydon Hayes bowl in a Shell Trophy match at the Basin. Thanks to him I won $10,000 worth of electronic goods.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Bugger.

Roydon Hayes is the pinnacle of my cricketing career, the only international cricketer I have played against.

(actually I might have also played G Aldridge when he was a 3rd or 4th former in the Otumoetai first 11, they seemed to have lots of little midgets in ND rep caps)

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Gee, doesn't seem like it's common knowledge of the lurid past of R.Hayes, and why he was (and may still be) in the clink for very serious misdemeanours.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Gee, doesn't seem like it's common knowledge of the lurid past of R.Hayes, and why he was (and may still be) in the clink for very serious misdemeanours.
Crickey! Definitely not. What is the story? (And presuming he was convicted of a crime it is on the public record and therefore not libelous to share).