• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Really? In the hamilton scene most opening bowlers who aren't already ND reps are 125 tops. That's still ****ing quick, but it's easy to go overboard with the estimates.
Albi I have written and re-written my post 5 times but I kept making it about myself and pointing out I have faced 120km bowlers in my career and can tell the difference. But couldn't quite say that in the right words without sounding pretentious.
What I will say is that I am probably exaggerating that every Pearce Cup team has two of those guys. Upper Hutt has one 135km bowler. I have faced him in the nets and I can barely lay bat on ball. But can hit all the other Pearce Cup bowlers when they don't swing or seam it.

Karori had Andy Mackay when I was watching two years ago. He was frighteningly quick. Wainui have nobody to write home about. I don't know if Taita has a 135km guy. Easts do and they often win the grade.

Meridio

International Regular
There's no way on Earth Ricky Joseph bowls 130. He'd be 120ish tops, as are most opening bowlers at club level. Quickest I faced in Wellington club cricket was Iain McPeake with a howling gale behind him, even then I'd say he was 135 at an absolute maximum. Sunnie Chan would be next quickest, though I think he was coming back from injury when I played him. When he's playing club cricket, Andy McKay is miles and miles quicker than them - it's very noticeable - and bear in mind he generally operated at 135-140 when he played internationals.

Overall, I'd say Pearce Cup isn't too bad a standard but there's a lot of filler - i.e. guys who have a decent eye so can slap bowlers around on their day, but don't have the technique to stand up to good bowlers. I also found the general atmosphere in Wellington club cricket to be quite corrosive - very much dominated by the beer-swilling, skirt-chasing, lads lads lads type, and there was a lot of pressure on young players to join in with that. IMO that's one of the main reasons why guys like Boam gave the game away, they didn't really fit in with that and it destroyed their enjoyment of the game.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Albi I have written and re-written my post 5 times but I kept making it about myself and pointing out I have faced 120km bowlers in my career and can tell the difference. But couldn't quite say that in the right words without sounding pretentious.
What I will say is that I am probably exaggerating that every Pearce Cup team has two of those guys. Upper Hutt has one 135km bowler. I have faced him in the nets and I can barely lay bat on ball. But can hit all the other Pearce Cup bowlers when they don't swing or seam it.

Karori had Andy Mackay when I was watching two years ago. He was frighteningly quick. Wainui have nobody to write home about. I don't know if Taita has a 135km guy. Easts do and they often win the grade.
There's so many factors in facing pace bowlers that I don't trust any naked eye judgements of pace sorry. If every quick in Wellington club cricket bowled 130kph then it'd be the strongest club scene in the world.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way on Earth Ricky Joseph bowls 130. He'd be 120ish tops, as are most opening bowlers at club level. Quickest I faced in Wellington club cricket was Iain McPeake with a howling gale behind him, even then I'd say he was 135 at an absolute maximum. Sunnie Chan would be next quickest, though I think he was coming back from injury when I played him. When he's playing club cricket, Andy McKay is miles and miles quicker than them - it's very noticeable - and bear in mind he generally operated at 135-140 when he played internationals.

Overall, I'd say Pearce Cup isn't too bad a standard but there's a lot of filler - i.e. guys who have a decent eye so can slap bowlers around on their day, but don't have the technique to stand up to good bowlers. I also found the general atmosphere in Wellington club cricket to be quite corrosive - very much dominated by the beer-swilling, skirt-chasing, lads lads lads type, and there was a lot of pressure on young players to join in with that. IMO that's one of the main reasons why guys like Boam gave the game away, they didn't really fit in with that and it destroyed their enjoyment of the game.
I stand corrected, and I was ages ago since I saw Joseph so felt uncertain when I said that as well.

There's so many factors in facing pace bowlers that I don't trust any naked eye judgements of pace sorry. If every quick in Wellington club cricket bowled 130kph then it'd be the strongest club scene in the world.
Yep fair dues - don't think I said every quick was 135 mind you on my revised post. But per Merido's post I may have been bullish. I still think our quick is up there. Havn't seen much of him this year though.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Looking at the video scorecard, very green day 1 pitch in the Otago v Canterbury game.
Might be worth going into the vault proper to see how Redmond and M Bracewelll managed to put on 100 for the second wicket in those conditions ......

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Looked like Bennett got Baz with some serious heat. A little "what about me" reminder.
In fact both Bennett and Astle should be happy with Baz wicket each to keep them in view.

Also check out Bennett v Duffy if you're a fan of a cartwheeling stump.

CANTERBURY vs OTAGO VOLTS

P.s some good Duffy wickets, would be good thing if his worm starts to turn. Had a tough regressive year or 2 outside of the HRV.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Won a 'full monty' membership to Cricket Wellington in a raffle at my cricket club yesterday. Gets me all of this:

Entry into the Cricket Wellington Members’ Lounge at Westpac Stadium, the Long Room at the Basin
Entry into all international and domestic matches at Westpac Stadium, Basin Reserve and Karori Park.
Reserve and upstairs at the Cricket Pavilion at Karori Park.
Reciprocal membership rights at other domestic matches nationwide
Preferential purchasing rights to the Wanderers Cricket Club Test Match breakfast
Access to catering and a fully serviced bar.
20% discount on Georgie Pie Super Smash Tickets for your friends and family (limit 4)
Members Only Memorabillia
Exclusive members only E-newsletter
Invite to Test match members lunch (cost applies
Preferential rights to members guest passes.

Obviously missed out on the Georgie Pie crap, but I guess I might head to the Westpac for the Sri Lanka ODI now, and I won't have to pay to go to the Test match. Nice.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Won a 'full monty' membership to Cricket Wellington in a raffle at my cricket club yesterday. Gets me all of this:

Entry into the Cricket Wellington Members’ Lounge at Westpac Stadium, the Long Room at the Basin
Entry into all international and domestic matches at Westpac Stadium, Basin Reserve and Karori Park.
Reserve and upstairs at the Cricket Pavilion at Karori Park.
Reciprocal membership rights at other domestic matches nationwide
Preferential purchasing rights to the Wanderers Cricket Club Test Match breakfast
Access to catering and a fully serviced bar.
20% discount on Georgie Pie Super Smash Tickets for your friends and family (limit 4)
Members Only Memorabillia
Exclusive members only E-newsletter
Invite to Test match members lunch (cost applies
Preferential rights to members guest passes.

Obviously missed out on the Georgie Pie crap, but I guess I might head to the Westpac for the Sri Lanka ODI now, and I won't have to pay to go to the Test match. Nice.
Well done :)

Meridio

International Regular
Nasty bug just adds to the pain for Wellington Firebirds | Stuff.co.nz

Ah, guys the reason Wellington got smashed was nothing to do with Southee and Boult, but because they had a bad case of Welly Belly! Also:
Arnel will be fit, after his finger turned out to not be broken, while Siddons is hopeful that either Peter Younghusband or Karori's Aussie import Alecz Day can provide adequate cover in Patel's absence.
Heef to comment.

Blocky

Banned
Hamilton about four years ago legitimately had six bowlers capable of 130KM plus with four of those guys capable of breaching 140kmh.

Playing against the Old Boys at times got ridiculous when you had four guys, lead by Mathieson and Verma who were all capable of touching 140.

In Auckland, the pace isn't the same, Hamilton had Senior A bowlers who bowl quicker than most Prems in Auckland.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Wellington Firebirds squad to play in the first round of the Ford Trophy against the Auckland Aces, on 26 December 2014 is:

James Franklin (Captain)
Brent Arnel
Tom Blundell
Alecz Day
Grant Elliott
Mark Gillespie
Stephen Murdoch
Michael Papps
Michael Pollard
Matthew Taylor
Malaesaili Tugaga
Luke Woodcock

Notables:
• James Franklin returns to the side after recovering from an injury
• Alecz Day will make his List A debut if selected for the starting XI
• Luke Ronchi is being rested, following his return from the UAE
Guptill, Kitchen, Nicol, Craig Cachopa, Munro, de Grandhomme, Brad Cachopa, Grobbelaar, Nethula, Bates, McClenaghan, Quinn

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamie How starting his final domestic comp in style, 145* after 30 overs.

Henry, Milne and McClenaghan told to get out and play by NZC.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Anyone know why Brownlie isn't playing for ND? Stuff website last night said he was going to be released (similar to Bracewell).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nice odds. Wellington just can't stop delivering for their more informed fans this month.
Don't celebrate too soon, Elliott's current form is a bit too good and Auckland's attack is almost as bad as Wellingtons.

Nice of Guppy to get out to give Munro a chance at accelerating from a platform to make a late shout for the WC squad.

Flem274*

123/5
The scorecards look like they're building for a repeat of the 350 plays 350 season we had the other summer.

Worker isn't a bad shout for an opener who can bowl some spare parts spin if you must have one just quietly.