**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

November 3-5 v Pakistan A, Sharjah
    Nov 9-13, 1st test, Abu Dhabi
    Nov 17-21, 2nd test, Dubai
    Nov 26-30, 3rd test, Sharjah
    x 2 T20Is
    x 5 ODIs

Hamish Rutherford poised for NZ test reprieve | Stuff.co.nz

Coach Mike Hesson will name his 15-man test squad today, which is expected to be low on talking points after their 2-1 series victory in the West Indies in June.

Opening positions continue to be the head-scratchers, and while Hesson's extended loyalty to Peter Fulton ran out in the Caribbean, he appears reluctant to jettison Rutherford despite the ongoing test struggles which saw him drop off the 20-strong contract list.

The 25-year-old has a solitary half century from 24 test innings since his 171 on debut against England, and scraped 39 runs from four innings in the West Indies after falling ill in Trinidad.

The free-flowing lefthander impressed in 50-over matches on the recent New Zealand A tour of England, averaging 49.42 from seven innings including a knock of 95 against England Lions. Encouraging reports from batting coach Craig McMillan on tour may have helped his cause, along with a lack of strong contenders.
    Last edited by Kippax; 30-09-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

New Zealand Cricket - One change to BLACKCAPS Test squad

BLACKCAPS Test squad for series v Pakistan in UAE
    Brendon McCullum (c) - Otago Volts
    Corey Anderson - Northern Knights
    Trent Boult - Northern Knights
    Doug Bracewell - Central Stags
    Mark Craig - Otago Volts
    Tom Latham - Canterbury
    James Neesham - Otago Volts
    Luke Ronchi - Wellington Firebirds
    Hamish Rutherford - Otago Volts
    Ish Sodhi - Northern Knights
    Tim Southee - Northern Knights
    Ross Taylor - Central Stags
    Neil Wagner - Otago Volts
    BJ Watling - Northern Knights
    Kane Williamson - Northern Knights
    “Doug had a very good NZ A tour and we just think that in the heat in the UAE his experience and resilience in those conditions will be important.”

“Likewise Hamish demonstrated a lot of positives on that England tour. His balance was back and with that came his confidence.”

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    despite being a CD fanboy even im surprised dougeh is still fourth in line. good work from him to impress on tour.

it sounds like they're playing it safe with matt henry.

edit: ronchi and anderson still our reserve batsmen i see. bit light i think.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 30-09-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Bracewell over Henry is a very conservative pick.

I'm also somewhat disappointed that Ronchi and Rutherford are still there, but given there hasn't been much first class cricket since the last tour there's no performance indicators to picking someone like Guptill, Flynn or Raval.

I do think Raval has been consistently overlooked...

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Bracewell over Henry is a very conservative pick.
    Ehh...when we get down to it, Bracewell was just as impressive on the NZA tour as Henry was. He's a yard quicker than Henry, and has a lot more experience of bowling in hot, dry conditions. I always suspected that he'd end up getting the nod this time. Would be disappointed if Henry doesn't get a run in at least one of the SA ODI's though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I'm also somewhat disappointed that Ronchi and Rutherford are still there, but given there hasn't been much first class cricket since the last tour there's no performance indicators to picking someone like Guptill, Flynn or Raval.

I do think Raval has been consistently overlooked...
    Raval didn't do himself any favours by allowing his form to drop off dramatically in the back half of last season. I agree that Rutherford sticking around isn't ideal, but then again besides Gupturd who is there who's really dominated domestic cricket as an opener (I think we have to all assume that Michael Papps is never getting reselected).

Raval should've at least been on the A tour ahead of MBracewell.

Flynn too IMO.

It seems tha Brownlie has somehow leapfrogged those guys.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Hesson has said Brownlie is only considered as a middle order option until he proves himself as an opener domestically.

Raval faded away I can't remember what Flynn did last season, though he did get a run of low scores from memory. I think Hesson just flat out doesn't rate either of them. Flynn was a fall guy in South Africa and Raval has never been on the radar. They bet on Macewell coming good and lost.

Guptill is in the middle of a technical overhaul and Hesson is very cold on Old Guptill. I don't think he was ever an option for this tour and Hesson will wait until New Guptill is ready so he can assess.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Ehh...when we get down to it, Bracewell was just as impressive on the NZA tour as Henry was. He's a yard quicker than Henry, and has a lot more experience of bowling in hot, dry conditions. I always suspected that he'd end up getting the nod this time. Would be disappointed if Henry doesn't get a run in at least one of the SA ODI's though.
    The thing with Bracewell is generally he has struggled bowling in the heat, I cant remember if he had this under control in Bangers last year but have memories of him struggling in SL and India.

Given Henry's struggles in SL on the A tour last year, I can't imagine that he's 100% comfortable in those conditions either.

Bracewell was more Durgh than DOUGEH!!! in Bangladesh, but he wasn't helped by a ball that stopped swinging after 4 overs and a series of dropped chances off Tamim.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Hesson has said Brownlie is only considered as a middle order option until he proves himself as an opener domestically.

Raval faded away I can't remember what Flynn did last season, though he did get a run of low scores from memory. I think Hesson just flat out doesn't rate either of them. Flynn was a fall guy in South Africa and Raval has never been on the radar. They bet on Macewell coming good and lost.

Guptill is in the middle of a technical overhaul and Hesson is very cold on Old Guptill. I don't think he was ever an option for this tour and Hesson will wait until New Guptill is ready so he can assess.
    Flynn averaged 45 last season- he struggled in first couple of games but ended up scoring 800 runs. I would have love to seen Raval even only as a short term option, his leggies could have been quite dangerous especially without Kane's throwing and I think he probably would have been able to score at least 100 runs over the course of the tour which is more than Hamish has scored in the four tests this year.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Time for a real test. Pakistan in the UAE are always a tough prospect, and I somehow doubt our batting order will enjoy the prospect particularly. Pakistan still have some reasonable spinning resources to call on post-Ajmal, but ours our still largely unproven.

Not willing to predict this one - two mercurial teams, could go either way. Might have more of an idea when we see the line-up Pakistan are going to put on the field.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Time for a real test. Pakistan in the UAE are always a tough prospect, and I somehow doubt our batting order will enjoy the prospect particularly. Pakistan still have some reasonable spinning resources to call on post-Ajmal, but ours our still largely unproven.

Not willing to predict this one - two mercurial teams, could go either way. Might have more of an idea when we see the line-up Pakistan are going to put on the field.
    Rehman's a better bowler than a lot of people give credit for. He gave us significant problems in New Zealand back in 2011, so I could see him cleaning us up pretty easily in the right conditions. Not sure about the rest though, particulalry given that there only seem to be about 3 people in Pakistan who haven't been identified as bowling with a suspect action.

Pakistan launch crackdown on suspect bowlers | Zee News

Another important factor will be whether the PCB are willing to break out their best ego brush in order to bring Younis Khan back into the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by RxGM View Post
    The thing with Bracewell is generally he has struggled bowling in the heat, I cant remember if he had this under control in Bangers last year but have memories of him struggling in SL and India.
    yeah. The "experience" thing is like saying Guptill is experienced. He experienced being utter crap.

Not a bit issue.

I do hope they go with Sodhi over Craig.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information