• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In that case I will be loading up on Pakistan at the TAB
Lets face it if Johnson is nullified and Steyn has been in the past then it is a tough place for a paceman.

The ball seemed to do far more when England went there than any other test I have watched in that region. Whether that was luck, skill or other means I have no idea but it seems it was a one off.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
If pak do well in this next test, the value is probably going to be with us, just saying. The punters made an absolute mess of the game just gone, so i can definitely see them reacting accordingly.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
The pitches always seem to give the quicks a bit for the first hour, plus reverse comes into play fairly quickly. A quick 2-3 wickets early and we're in the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Meh. Anderson was England's best bowler, wasn't he?
As I said in the other thread, the pitches in the UAE vary from "flat, with slow turn and no pitch deterioration for five days" to "slow, but with a bit of sideways movement for everyone throughout and variable bounce on Day 5". New Zealand would struggle with the former IMO but be a real show on the latter.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said in the other thread, the pitches in the UAE vary from "flat, with slow turn and no pitch deterioration for five days" to "slow, but with a bit of sideways movement for everyone throughout and variable bounce on Day 5". New Zealand would struggle with the former IMO but be a real show on the latter.
You get far more of the former though. Or seem to.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Jimmy might just be the best exponent of reverse tang in the world, so you would think he would do alright in these conditions

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy might just be the best exponent of reverse tang in the world, so you would think he would do alright in these conditions
This may be true, but Anderson took essentially all of his wickets in the 2011/12 series with the new ball.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Will be interesting to see how the NZ spinners go as we know there is usually nothing in the pitches for the pacemen. Going to be a tough tour for Southee and Boult I think.
SPOILER: terribly, as usual. Outside the occaisional fluke haul from a Craig or Martin (who then proceed to vanish of the face of the earth) Southee and Boult are always going to be our top wicket takers in any conditions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
SPOILER: terribly, as usual. Outside the occaisional fluke haul from a Craig or Martin (who then proceed to vanish of the face of the earth) Southee and Boult are always going to be our top wicket takers in any conditions.
You never know with Pakistan. If Imran Tahir can take a 5 wicket bag in the UAE, then anyone can.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Did see Sodhi mentioned as a concern in the Ian Anderson game wrap, regarding half-trackers he was dishing up in our first FC round. 109 of his 300 balls in the video vault were logged as short.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just watched those 109....pretty harsh cataloging overall. ND video guy possibly in Blocky's pocket.

Flem274*

123/5
Good point guys. To really simplify things we should refer from now on to NZ and West Indian conditions as Tectonic Plate Boundary (TPB) conditions.

"Another typical TPB road, though an earthquake is forecast on day 4"
"Good spin there from Vettori, I think that one hit the plate boundary"
"Ah Australia, that ****hole where nothing has ever happened"

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NZ's wins recently have almost all been through batting first and scoring 400 plus. Our bowlers are still somewhat inexperienced and seem to need scoreboard pressure to help them run through sides. I can't see us winning any low scoring matches.

Blocky

Banned
Just watched those 109....pretty harsh cataloging overall. ND video guy possibly in Blocky's pocket.
I can't help it if everyone outside of this forum knows that Sodhi is utter **** and shouldn't even be in the ND side, let alone NZ.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I always thought Howsie was more representative of the mood on Sodhi within the ND camp. That's why Santner will miss out on this NZA team on Friday, despite being very good in the Ford Trophy last season, very good last week, and tipped for the Black Caps in the next 12 months by Prince EWS.

Last edited: