• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But he and Neesham have the 2nd & 3rd worst ERs in the last 2 years (10+ wickets), nobody else bowls at the death?

lol, that's like saying because that batsmen should still get a pass in spite of his average of 20 because it was dented by some low scores :p
I guess i think he is a better bowler than jimmy so was just trying to defend him somehow. Neesham doesn't bowl at the death iirc

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder if Afridi realises just how much of an arsehole he looks by doing that stupid Flintoff ripoff celebration everytime he so much as breaks wind.
Lol, Dumb dumb Afridi. Just an utter lack of any self-awareness whatsoever. A legend within his own mind.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If Guptill doesn't improve at the top, do you think there's any chance of pushing him down the order? If he were to bat at say 5, then he'd usually/hopefully be coming in to bat with 15/20 overs to go and could therefore play a more attacking role (to which he's probably more suited at this point). He's still got plenty of power, and against the older ball and tiring seamers he could be a handy player to have in the power play overs.

Mike5181

International Captain
Nah PEWS was just saying he thinks Devcich is being given much stronger consideration than CW appreciates.
Even if you do subscribe to the theory that Devcich is hot on the heels of Guptill (assuming Baz is the other opener), I doubt anyone would go as far as to say he's a certainty. It doesn't make much sense then to prioritise his world cup preparation with the ball ahead of someone who is guaranteed a spot in the starting XI. He's never really been up to much as a bowler in this format either. Kane was actually useful, and if he's rubbish now, we need to actually test that in games, or provide him with enough opportunities in the remaining seven (?) ODIs to improve to a level where he is an option.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The logic behind Kane not bowling is pretty simple -- Kane's captaining. As if he's going to bowl himself. It's like that Steve Waugh/Allan Border type scenario when everyone knows they're more than useful bowlers, but it's always someone else bowling their overs.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah PEWS was just saying he thinks Devcich is being given much stronger consideration than CW appreciates.
Yeah I was starting to get that horrible feeling.

That said, by all accounts of his personality I can't think of a better person to take guard against Mitchell Johnson at Brisbane or Perth when the time comes. This is especially true if the nastier stuff is to be believed.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The logic behind Kane not bowling is pretty simple -- Kane's captaining. As if he's going to bowl himself. It's like that Steve Waugh/Allan Border type scenario when everyone knows they're more than useful bowlers, but it's always someone else bowling their overs.
Yeah it probably is sort of like a restricted driving test scenario, KW would probably feel at pains to show Hesson that he knows who his defensive spin option is, and that it's probably not his turn to have a trundle when they're already roaring along. "Offspin, against these guys, it's really just money for jam", as VicOrthodox would say.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd be fine with that if this was a school first XI, but this is New Zealand playing Pakistan in a ODI. A coach shouldn't allow that to happen two games in a row this close to a world cup.

OverratedSanity

haha Afridi genuinely is a pretty awesome ODI cricketer once you look at him properly... as a bowler who can slog. His batting shouldn't get as much stick as it does.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Even if you do subscribe to the theory that Devcich is hot on the heels of Guptill (assuming Baz is the other opener), I doubt anyone would go as far as to say he's a certainty.
I think that's exactly why he's playing though, and bowling before Williamson. If he was a certainty then he could be rotated out, not bowl etc -- but he's obviously not. What he is is a possibility, and a possibility I think the selectors are really hoping works out for balance reasons. He's being given this series to press his claims.

I don't think it's anywhere near certain McCullum will open, either. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Guptill and Devcich opened with McCullum batting five. Devcich is going to need to actually do something in this series to make that happen as they won't pick him based on no performance, but they're giving him every opportunity to make that claim.

Zinzan

I think that's exactly why he's playing though, and bowling before Williamson. If he was a certainty then he could be rotated out, not bowl etc -- but he's obviously not. What he is is a possibility, and a possibility I think the selectors are really hoping works out for balance reasons. He's being given this series to press his claims.

I don't think it's anywhere near certain McCullum will open, either. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Guptill and Devcich opened with McCullum batting five. Devcich is going to need to actually do something in this series to make that happen as they won't pick him based on no performance, but they're giving him every opportunity to make that claim.
Nah, if that really was the case then how do you explain him bowling just the solitary over for just 6 runs in the last game when the seamers were going at 7s? Makes no sense.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Nah, if that really was the case then how do you explain him bowling just the solitary over for just 6 runs in the last game when the seamers were going at 7s? Makes no sense.
Could just be that Williamson was backing his seamers to take wickets to restrict the scoring. They have been doing that quite well recently. And he is a novice at international captaincy.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe they are saving Kane for the world cup. They might believe that his remodelled action is still dodgy (it looked similar on the news) and figure he will be called again if he bowls right now. Maybe they figure in the World Cup they won't call people.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ would've drawn up their pre-game plans based on that pitch having the pace and carry of the 2nd ODI. When it didn't, I presume KW was reluctant to deviate from the script too much, he and his bowlers largely just kept going with the plans.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum willing to open ODIs for Black Caps | Stuff.co.nz

"I've said all the way through my career, I'll do whatever the team requires," McCullum told RadioLive today.

"If we're being honest, that [opening] is probably the best thing for the team right now.