• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Generally the reason you don't see the long bursts in cricket relate more to batsmen getting used to a bowler and being able to predict lengths, line and movement - in club, more mistakes are made, you can get away with a bowler going 14-16.
Thanks Blocky and I do remember Brad Haddin figuring him out one game and smashing him to all parts. I think my tactic of ten in a row is a good innovation but to allow for what you suggest the captain would have to take him off early if they started to collar him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Reality is - we don't have any batsmen that are far and away better than some of those all rounder options and having variation at the bowling crease could help us.
That's all well and good, but I'm pretty sure New Zealand have more than 3 ODI batsmen better suited to playing a 60+ ball innings than Corey Anderson. You'd be batting him at 4 in this ludicrous experiment FFS; that idea is utterly insane in that it takes a strength -- Anderson's ability to score quickly in the last 10-15 overs -- and turns it into a weakness -- Anderson's inability to reconstruct innings if 2 early wickets fall.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Andrew Alders at it again today, saying Williamson being cleared to bowl alters the balance of our World Cup side.

I'm almost 100% certain it doesn't.

BeeGee

International Captain
Andrew Alders at it again today, saying Williamson being cleared to bowl alters the balance of our World Cup side.

We're yet to even know whether he's going to be effective as a bowler with his new action. He may be no better than Taylor now that he can't chuck.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're yet to even know whether he's going to be effective as a bowler with his new action. He may be no better than Taylor now that he can't chuck.
Yep, exactly. Hoping he'll still be effective, but we're going to need to wait and see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah it just makes the balance you were and still are overwhelmingly likely to select a lot less likely to backfire.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't agree more. It's far too close to the World Cup to think a completely remodelled action is going to be effective enough to stand up in that environment.

He might bowl a bit in the Sri Lankan Tests, which is fine. But I wouldn't be rolling him out at Eden Park on a flat one with 45m boundaries.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah it just makes the balance you were and still are overwhelmingly likely to select a lot less likely to backfire.
Yeah this, the Anderson or Neesham 10 over block is no longer as weak because we have another option for a few overs.

Guptill
--------
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Ronchi (+)
Vettori
Mills
Southee
McClenenenen

I'm taking it this is our locked in first XI at the moment?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ideally Kane would open - but really we don't have any other batsman putting their hand up be they a middle order player or an opener so that comment is neither here nor there.

BeeGee

International Captain
Guptill
--------
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Ronchi (+)
Vettori
Mills
Southee
McClenenenen

I'm taking it this is our locked in first XI at the moment?
I would think so. The bowling mix might change a little due to pitch conditions, but that would be my default XI. It's just a question of who to open..... Neesham/Devcich/Latham/Brownlie. Latham would be my choice, I don't really rate the others.

They could take a leaf out of the Crowe 92 play book and try something unconventional, like picking Munro to open and giving him complete license to just go nuts.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have moved the discussion to the NZ squad thread to save our Pakistani fan compatriots having to read about our WC shenanigans.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would think so. The bowling mix might change a little due to pitch conditions, but that would be my default XI. It's just a question of who to open..... Neesham/Devcich/Latham/Brownlie. Latham would be my choice, I don't really rate the others.

They could take a leaf out of the Crowe 92 play book and try something unconventional, like picking Munro to open and giving him complete license to just go nuts.
Ronnie Hira IMO.

Better yet, Southee.