• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
While it seems from the cricinfo commentary that Milne bowled quite well again, his lack of actual wickets is starting to test patience.
They're playing him out.

I have a feeling he'll struggle against the Saffers and Aussies.

Binkley

U19 Captain
They're playing him out.

Yeah, they did play him very conservatively. I thought he bowled really well actually - and it made me really optimistic for his future. He was quick, but he also bowled cleverly and (mostly) accurately. If he keeps that up, I can't see him struggling against any team. There certainly wasn't much width or poor length to allow a Lachie Ferguson-style blow out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt he'll play the next game. Hesson is such a tease...it's good though. The slow build up is the right way to go about things.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They're playing him out.

While I suppose that's encouraging, its also not an excuse for failing to take wickets. Good bowlers get wickets even when batsmen are defensive minded. Most of Henry's international wickets so far have come from defensive prods to good balls.

Binkley

U19 Captain
While I suppose that's encouraging, its also not an excuse for failing to take wickets. Good bowlers get wickets even when batsmen are defensive minded. Most of Henry's international wickets so far have come from defensive prods to good balls.
He did create chances though - there was at least one drive that caught an edge and went through (non-existent) slips at a catch-able height. And Latham dropped a difficult chance off him (iirc). Plus there was a decent chunk of play-and-misses and mis-timed strokes. If he keeps that up, wickets will start to come sooner rather than later.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So I'd say Taylor is a better ODI batsman than Crowe. The only one that currently keeps him from being our undisputed best ever is Astle IMO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Henry's played in NZ though.

But yeah that spell vs India - particularly the way he works over Dhawan - was impressive.

Milne has improved his swing and consistency out of sight without sacrificing speed. It's only a matter of time before he rips through a team.

Such an awesome selection quandary.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Since 2011, Taylor has 8 ODI hundreds, averaging 1 hundred every 5 innings.

I'd say from the 2011 period he is only behind Kohli and AB as the best ODI bat in the world. I'd say he is on par with Amla and Sanga. WAG

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think he's near the class of those guys tbh.

Don't get me wrong, he's good. But if we're chasing a score of 300+ I'd think Kohli and AB a good shot at bringing it home but I wouldn't imagine Taylor doing the same as often.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Don't get me wrong, he's good. But if we're chasing a score of 300+ I'd think Kohli and AB a good shot at bringing it home but I wouldn't imagine Taylor doing the same as often.
Yeah, Taylor is as good as anybody at pacing an innings through the middle stages, but his limitations as a death batsman will always see him ranked below the top tier.

BeeGee

International Captain
Such an awesome selection quandary.
Yeah, it's nice to be discussing what bowling combination to field rather than angsting over where our next quality bowler is going to coming from.

So many options.

With three containing bowlers, we really needed a wicket taker in the mix. Milne bowled well and has a lot of potential, but today we missed Mitch.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

I'd agree with that. Ross is a hell of a player but you'd say they're not the AB/Sanga level of match-winning, taken off world-class attack type of knocks.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Did Mills bowl well? Post here imply so but 1-54 isn't all that impressive.
Bowled well-ish. Started strongly (had figures of 1-1 off 3 iirc), and he got decent bounce and carry while the ball was hard - but when it became softer he became much easier to play. It seems to me that his pace is just too hittable against batsman who want to attack - and that happened as the match went on. Slow enough to give the batsman time, but fast enough that the ball flies off the bat.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Harris was fantastic, definitely would be trying to get him in the test side as well very soon.

Don't think New Zealand have to much to worry about really, alien conditions to the world cup and can't imagine this side will be to similar to what lines up in the world cup.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah, Taylor is as good as anybody at pacing an innings through the middle stages, but his limitations as a death batsman will always see him ranked below the top tier.
I thought Ross Taylor was very poor with that today he really struggled to rotate the strike with the spinners, there was a period of time where Tom had only faced about 7 of the last 30 balls (and had scored a single off every one).

Athlai

Not Terrible

Hence "behind"

Kohli/AB are the best in the world.

Taylor is in the rung below.