• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Flem274*

123/5
Oddly, everyone in that top 5 averages between 44 and 46. Even if you assume that Crowe would have averaged close to 50 had he not been thrown in at the deep end as a youngster, there seems to be a ceiling on how good our best batsmen ever get.
Nah, we just haven't had one average more over a longer period yet.

It's not as though the water has a "youwillonlyaverageupto46lolshamedick" molecule in it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't pick Bond for an ATXI considering he's likely to break down at any point.
Against ATG batting lineups, your replacement will hardly be any better than an absent Bond.

He'll at least form a formidable opening bowling partnership with Hadlee till he breaks down.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Never see an ATG team picked on that philosophy before. Most people are comfortable with picking old school players. Your omission of Sutcliffe for Jones for example would make some of us who have read the Kiwi Cricketing folklore as bed time stories cringe.
It's based on the idea that the current All Blacks team would annihilate the ABs from, say, 1987, because the modern players are far more professional and better trained.

Cricket isn't a strength based sport so this may not be as relevant.

But the question remains, as with all ATG teams (cricket and rugby), whether to pick players based on comparisons with their contemporaries or with modern players who have better coaching, nutrition, analysis etc.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Nah, we just haven't had one average more over a longer period yet.

It's not as though the water has a "youwillonlyaverageupto46lolshamedick" molecule in it.
Agree, it's just an odd statistic, that's all. Even an ATG Zimbabwe team would manage one player who averaged 50.

Flem274*

123/5
In 2020 we'll be posting something like

Turner, Sutcliffe, Williamson, Crowe, Taylor, Reid/Cairns/McCullum, McCullum/Watling, Hadlee, Taylor/Cowie/Bond/Boult/Vettori, Southee, Milne :ph34r:

Hendrix will have Latham in there for Sutcliffe and I'm not sure what will be happening at #6 but Williamson and Southee will definitely be there barring catastrophe (which with NZ is likely).

Anyone feeling braver?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's based on the idea that the current All Blacks team would annihilate the ABs from, say, 1987, because the modern players are far more professional and better trained.

Cricket isn't a strength based sport so this may not be as relevant.

But the question remains, as with all ATG teams (cricket and rugby), whether to pick players based on comparisons with their contemporaries or with modern players who have better coaching, nutrition, analysis etc.

Yeah it is an age old question on this message board and we have had countless debates about Sachin vs Bradman. So there is no real generally agreed upon answer just different schools of thought.

I was watching some highlights of the 1975 world cup (perhaps you saw this as well it was on sky sport) on the one hand the average player back then looked weaker than the average player today based purely on technique - the star players looked mint and would be stars today.
Footage of Lillee in particular looked just incredible. Kallicharan looked phenomenal. Even Dale Hadlee looked quite useful and had a very fluent action.
One thing that has come up is that the better players since the 1960s are often seen as being capable of playing today - compared to say players in the early 1900s. And definitely the 1800s. By memory the 1950s aren't looked fondly upon if I remember some of Fred's reports.

TLDR: it may be a bit unfair to go back to only the 1980s.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I was watching some highlights of the 1975 world cup (perhaps you saw this as well it was on sky sport) on the one hand the average player back then looked weaker than the average player today based purely on technique - the star players looked mint and would be stars today.
Didn't see those highlights, but it's interesting what you say about how the average player looked in comparison to the stars. Off to YouTube now for a look.

cnerd123

likes this
Hmm. When I pick ATG XIs/Squads, I work on the following assumptions:

1) The players would be plucked from the past in their absolute prime - for some players this is obvious; for others like Imran Khan or Sachin Tendulkar it is less so, as they evolved and changed so much as players over the course of their careers
2) The XI/Squad would train together for a few months before playing whatever hypothetical match/series/tournament they are being selected for. This helps builds team chemistry (so you don't necessarily need to pick Sutcliffe just because you pick Hobbs, for example) and helps to get everyone's fielding and fitness up to a certain minimal level, as well as getting the old-timers caught up on current day rules and regulations.
3) The latest rules/equipment/technology/nutrition/coaching/knowledge will be available to all the players. Apart from statistics ofcourse. So basically in preparation for whatever match they are going to play, they can view video footage of their opponents and study it, and vice versa.

This way you do have to consider a players' fitness, fielding and personality, but they aren't selection-breaking factors. Certain very old-era players do get disadvantaged (Grace, Barnes) because cricket was such a different game in their time, but talent will shine through in the end and so you can pick a squad without worrying about minor details.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I guess that approach is the complementary one to my own, which makes the assumption that the players step out of a time machine straight onto the field.

Something I find interesting looking at that old footage is the diversity of bowling actions that exist in cricket. Watching Dennis Lillee or Malcolm Marshall you know these guys are going to be effective before you even see where they pitch the ball. But some other styles look very different to what one sees nowadays.

GGG

State Captain
Really good interview with Javed Miandad on pakpassion.
"I feel that Pakistan are lucky to have escaped with a drawn series against New Zealand. One has to remember that Australia, despite their reputation, were not as strong a team as New Zealand", he answered the other thread.

smash84

The Tiger King
I find the squad very annoying. don't want Gul back in the side but apparently he is coming back. Other than that dropping of fawad alam is really frustrating.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Gul is good at t20s though, right?
Yeah a few years back.

I have always liked Gul because he is an honest hard working guy and was the only quick not involved in the fixing, but he's not a good bowler and hasn't been so for a while. His best is purely as a third bowler in the team and not a frontline bowler. This is why he did well when Asif and Amir were in the team. But he flopped once asked to lead the attack. His biggest problem is that he doesn't use his brain. For example, he will keep on bowling bouncers even when they go for runs, despite having a good Yorker.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah a few years back.

I have always liked Gul because he is an honest hard working guy and was the only quick not involved in the fixing, but he's not a good bowler and hasn't been so for a while. His best is purely as a third bowler in the team and not a frontline bowler. This is why he did well when Asif and Amir were in the team. But he flopped once asked to lead the attack. His biggest problem is that he doesn't use his brain. For example, he will keep on bowling bouncers even when they go for runs, despite having a good Yorker.
Sounds like he belongs in the New Zealand team circa 3 years ago.