• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil Narine's action reported (not to the ICC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I am glad to see this crack down on chuckers. What is interesting with Narine is his faster ball has been reported.

I have always been of the mind that most dubious bowlers are fully capable of bowling legally. Certainly there are some who have dodgy actions e.g. Kane Williamson, but many only chuck when they bowl their effort balls e.g. faster delivery, bigger off breaks, doosras etc.

The important question to ask here is are they knowingly chucking the ball or is it unintentional? If the former than that makes them blatant cheats. Either ways the delivery is still illegal and must be stopped.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The issue with quicker deliveries and effort balls has already been highlighted in the case of Marlon Samuels. I remember a world t20 knockout match in which he was 'bowling' the final over at 130kph with a 2 step run up. It was a disgrace and it took another year before his quicker delivery was banned.

It is a more wide ranging issue for other bowlers as Migara has pointed out.

An important thing to note about the Narine report is that because it hasn't happened in international cricket it appears unlikely that he'll face testing. I don't get why this is as the CLt20 is surely an ICC sanctioned event. The best thing for all parties would be to see him undergo comprehensive testing of all his deliveries before the world cup.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Thankfully it's just the "quicker ball" which can be addressed without any need to change his action. It also means they didn't call him for major "flex" issues or the ball that goes the other way which no doubt will disappoint a few on this thread :p .

The only time i've seen him use a quicker one is in t20s anyway...in tests he doesn't bowl it so tbh i'm not really bothered about this "warning". As long as he's on the pitch when we face india in the first test in a couple of weeks i'm good...and hey he just might be inspired to flight the ball a little more now :D .

The naysayers have got what they wanted..sadly for them it's merely a slap on the wrist (no pun) and Sunny can get focused and address the issue by the time he puts the great WI shirt back on. The question is who is everyone gonna target next? Ashwin and Ohja?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Your ability to take a different reading of events to anyone else never fails to astound me. Noone has got what they wanted here.

I assume that his supporters want him tested and cleared. Since you are a supporter, do you not think that this would be a preferable result? The "naysayers" also want him tested. Nothing you say will have any bearing on their opinions until the facts that can only be brought forth by testing are revealed.

This action will clearly not result in actual testing until he's (probably) called after the first Test against India.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What happens after you're reported in the CLT20? Apparently two warnings and you're out of the tournament, but are any tests actually done?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Your ability to take a different reading of events to anyone else never fails to astound me. Noone has got what they wanted here.

I assume that his supporters want him tested and cleared. Since you are a supporter, do you not think that this would be a preferable result? The "naysayers" also want him tested. Nothing you say will have any bearing on their opinions until the facts that can only be brought forth by testing are revealed.

This action will clearly not result in actual testing until he's (probably) called after the first Test against India.
A bowler is only tested WHEN CALLED in international competition. Thus far he has NOT been judged to have done anything wrong whilst playing for WI..and quite frankly that's all that matters to me. You might expect him to "called" in the test format but like i've said already his quicker ball has only been seen a few times in t20s, not tests...so i wouldn't be holding your breath if i were you.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And do you think it's fine for someone to operate under less stringent rules during t20 games upon which millions of dollars of prize money rests than Test cricket? Are you happy with that situation? Should franchise cricket not have such exacting standards?

Now I absolutely agree that he's innocent until proven guilty but in the absence of any resolution to prove either which way I can't understand how you could be happy with this outcome.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A bowler is only tested WHEN CALLED in international competition. Thus far he has NOT been judged to have done anything wrong whilst playing for WI..and quite frankly that's all that matters to me. You might expect him to "called" in the test format but like i've said already his quicker ball has only been seen a few times in t20s, not tests...so i wouldn't be holding your breath if i were you.
Every ball that Narine bowls looks suspect to me so it would hardly come as a shock

jonbrooks

International Debutant
The issue with quicker deliveries and effort balls has already been highlighted in the case of Marlon Samuels. I remember a world t20 knockout match in which he was 'bowling' the final over at 130kph with a 2 step run up. It was a disgrace and it took another year before his quicker delivery was banned.
Yes indeed. It is interesting what you've written here as I felt the same way about other bowlers who were chucking their arms off when they were under the pump.

TNT

Banned
I think having American baseball league scouts flying over and watching spin bowlers and looking for new talent has made the ICC realise that cricket could just become a nursery for baseball pitchers.

Howsie

International Captain
So I'm guessing we won't see WW for a few months after Narine is eventually and rightfully banned. Usually runs away with his tail between his legs.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So I'm guessing we won't see WW for a few months after Narine is eventually and rightfully banned. Usually runs away with his tail between his legs.
ZZZZZZzzzzzz *opens eyes, laughs because someone is clearly STILL BITTER!!.. then i go back to :sleep1: *

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Bitter over what? We just whooped you good and proper home and away.
And like i said THANK YOU because losing to a minnow brought change to our cricket that will help us tenfold moving forward :D ...

1. new coaching set-up

2. new selectors

3. new domestic structure

4. new youth systems

I LOVE NZ!! :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.