Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Feature: Top 100 Test Innings: Revised and Updated

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar

New Feature: Top 100 Test Innings: Revised and Updated

Cricket Web - Features: The Greatest Test Innings: Revised and Updated

Hi all,

New feature on the revised and updated top 100 test innings. A lot of amendments have been made so I hope you'll find it interesting. As ever, I'll do my best to respond to any requests about favorite innings, etc. that didn't make the top 100.
    BeeGee and ankitj like this.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

what a guy you are!!!!

thanks so much for all the effort, mate.

just skimmed through the list and loved it.

will study it in depth and ask whatever questions that may arise.

congrats.
    Days of Grace likes this.

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Great list and fascinating methodology. Ponting's Machester ton being in the top 100 and the complete absence of Kallis tons means this is a pretty accurate list

Only one thing bothered me a bit. Trott's hundred in that infamous Oval test was rated all the way up atno.29, while Broad's 169 wasn't anywhere in the 100. What's it rated btw? I presume it's lower because Trott was at the crease for the entire collapse, but it looks like Broad's knock got a bit underrated there.

What about the match-winning 214 against Australia here? Scorecard - 2010-2011 Border-Gavaskar Trophy - 2nd Test - 09/10/2010
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Amazing piece of work, though I have to say I don't really understand how refining the approach can result in Stan McCabe's 1938 knock dropping from 10 to nowhere

Graham Thorpe was such a gun.

While Laxman's 167 probably should not be in the top 7 innings, it's peculiar to see a list where it's not in the top 30 let alone top 200. It was a scary good knock simply based on domination of ATG quality of bowling though India didn't have a chance of winning. Of the knocks in the last few years, I'd say it's better than say, Clarke in Capetown, Matthews's match-winning knock in England and Sachin in Durban, for instance. Can't think of a recent knock as good as it, tbh. Winning is really overrated while determining what innings was better though 'greater'/'top' is a more subjective term.

Great work though.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    While Laxman's 167 probably should not be in the top 7 innings, it's peculiar to see a list where it's not in the top 30 let alone top 200. It was a scary good knock simply based on domination of ATG quality of bowling though India didn't have a chance of winning. Of the knocks in the last few years, I'd say it's better than say, Clarke in Capetown, Matthews's match-winning knock in England and Sachin in Durban, for instance. Can't think of a recent knock as good as it, tbh. Winning is really overrated while determining what innings was better though 'greater'/'top' is a more subjective term.

Great work though.
    It's not about winning, but when the innings came. The game was virtually dead and that probably contributed to Laxman opening up and playing freely. Still took an extraordinary amount of skill to hit around an attack of that calibre. But it was meaningless.

Disagree massively that its better than Clarke at Capetown too. That's top 5 among the ones I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Great list and fascinating methodology. Ponting's Machester ton being in the top 100 and the complete absence of Kallis tons means this is a pretty accurate list

Only one thing bothered me a bit. Trott's hundred in that infamous Oval test was rated all the way up atno.29, while Broad's 169 wasn't anywhere in the 100. What's it rated btw? I presume it's lower because Trott was at the crease for the entire collapse, but it looks like Broad's knock got a bit underrated there.

Broad is at no.107 with a rating of 15.06. The main difference is that 8 wickets fell whilst Trott was at the crease but none whilst Broad was at the crease. I could give less weight to wickets falling whilst at the crease, but in turn I might have to give more weight to runs scored with the lower order and that gives too much of an advantage to lower order batsmen.

Anyway, the thing to remember is that there is only just over two points difference between the two innings, which equates to 80 or so positions only due to the large number of innings played over the history of the game.

Likewise, people who question the absence of this innings or that innings should remember that only 100 innings can actually fit into the top 100! And that the innings they are wondering about are probably only 1 point away from the top 100 at most.
    Last edited by Days of Grace; 26-09-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    What about the match-winning 214 against Australia here? Scorecard - 2010-2011 Border-Gavaskar Trophy - 2nd Test - 09/10/2010
    14.45, which makes it Tendulkar's second highest rated innings.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Amazing piece of work, though I have to say I don't really understand how refining the approach can result in Stan McCabe's 1938 knock dropping from 10 to nowhere
    The methodology has changed a lot over the last three years, and sadly McCabe's knock has dropped out of the top 100. It has a base rating of 11.87, which is the 53rd highest (The base rating is the innings in isolation, without taking into account result of match, opposition bowlers or match situation).

Laxman's 167 has a base rating of 11.95.

The base rating is worth about double that of the qualifiers (result, series result, opposition strength, match situation).
    Last edited by Days of Grace; 26-09-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Hey DoG,
    Could you please share the rating for

Laxman\'s 96 vs SA 2010
    SR Waugh\'s 200 vs WI 1995
    Gavaskar\'s 96 vs Pak 1987
    Pietersen\'s 158 vs Aus 2005

Additionally, what were the highest rated knocks for some of the greats who missed out - Hobbs,
    Hutton, Barrington, Pollock, Kallis, Miandad, Richards(!) etc? Thanks.

Comment by JC | 5:56am gmt 27 Sep 2014

Sure.

Laxman 96 - 14.00 (his second best innings)
    Waugh 200 - 13.41
    Gavaskar 96 - 13.16
    Pietersen 158 - 15.39 (this actually sneaks into the top 100 at no.98 after I gave more points to draws)

Highest innings for the following players (of the innings I have checked):

Hobbs 126* vs. Australia at Melbourne 1912 - 14.22
    Hutton 205 vs. West Indies at Kingston 1954 - 14.01
    Barrington 109* vs. Pakistan at Nottingham 1967 - 13.52
    Pollock 125 vs. England at Nottingham 1965 - 14.98
    Kallis 162 vs. England at Durban 2004 - 13.55
    Javed Miandad 102 vs. West Indies at Port of Spain 1988 - 15.31
    Richards 182* vs. England at Bridgetown 1981 - 14.88
    J_C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Broad is at no.107 with a rating of 15.06. The main difference is that 8 wickets fell whilst Trott was at the crease but none whilst Broad was at the crease. I could give less weight to wickets falling whilst at the crease, but in turn I might have to give more weight to runs scored with the lower order and that gives too much of an advantage to lower order batsmen.

Anyway, the thing to remember is that there is only just over two points difference between the two innings, which equates to 80 or so positions only due to the large number of innings played over the history of the game.

Likewise, people who question the absence of this innings or that innings should remember that only 100 innings can actually fit into the top 100! And that the innings they are wondering about are probably only 1 point away from the top 100 at most.
    Oh, yeah, I totally get how close all the innings in the top 100-150 must be, so some are bound to miss out. Just wanted to know where Broad's innings stood relative to Trott's. No.107 is not bad at all.

Btw, could you rate this Sherwin Campbell hundred from the famous Lara Bridgetown test:
    3rd Test: West Indies v Australia at Bridgetown, Mar 26-30, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Gave the West Indies score some respectability after they looked likely to concede a 250+ lead atleast. Without his ton and Walsh's 5fer, Lara couldn't have done anything in the 4th innings. One of the more underrated tons imo because Lara's epicness overshadowed everything else in the match.

Remember that an earlier version of this ranking had 3 of G Pollock's knocks in top 100. Any understanding of reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Is there any weighting for a large clump of wickets falling immediately before the batsman gets to the crease or is it just considered as a flat 8/whatever?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information