Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Pakistan: Conquering Fortress Australia

  1. #1
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,109

    Pakistan: Conquering Fortress Australia

    Its been a long dream of Pakistani cricket to send a team to Australia that can beat the Aussies in a test series.

    Javed Miandad, said recently on ESPN that winning in Australia would be the ultimate goal of his lads this year, a series as important to Pakistan as the forthcoming one against India.

    Pakistan were buoyed by India's performance in Australia and reckon they can go one better.
    IMO, Pakistan certainly has the bowling to take Australia out.
    But The key is whether their batting can show patience and accumulate enough runs to back their bowlers.

    How do others see their chances ?

  2. #2
    State Captain krkode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,781
    Personally, I think Pakistan had the bowling to take Australia out 5 years ago. Saqlain, Wasim, Waqar.

    The only bowler of real consequence, or any danger to the Aussies, as I see it is Akhtar. If he can pull off something special, then Australia might just find themselves in trouble. If the Aussie batsman dismantle him though, like they are capable of doing to anyone, then I wouldn't rate Pakistan's chances very high. As it stands, their batting is also very weak with no more Anwar, Ijaz, and Saleem Malik, etc.

    They're a young team and it'll be interesting to see their progress.

  3. #3
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,109
    Originally posted by krkode
    Personally, I think Pakistan had the bowling to take Australia out 5 years ago. Saqlain, Wasim, Waqar.

    The only bowler of real consequence, or any danger to the Aussies, as I see it is Akhtar. If he can pull off something special, then Australia might just find themselves in trouble. If the Aussie batsman dismantle him though, like they are capable of doing to anyone, then I wouldn't rate Pakistan's chances very high. As it stands, their batting is also very weak with no more Anwar, Ijaz, and Saleem Malik, etc.

    They're a young team and it'll be interesting to see their progress.

    Its gonna be a big test for the young top order of Farhat, Taufeeq and Yasir Hameed.

    Pakistan will need a couple of their other bowlers to really step up and support Shoaib well (he will undoubtedly be the spearhead).
    It could be the make or break tour for Mohammad Sami.

  4. #4
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,557
    If the series happened tomorrow, I think the Aussies would win, but not as heavily as you might think, with their weakened bowling attack.

    Pakistan have some good experienced guys, Youhana, Inzamam, Akhtar and so on, but their some of their younger players are exciting, particularly Yasir Hameed. Imran Farhat needs to curb the kamikaze aspect from his one day batting.

    One thing that struck me about the Pakistani side that just left NZ was their professionalism. Unfortunately that waned towards the end of the tour but compared to sides they have sent here in the past they were outstanding in that regard.

    I reckon the only major blot on their record is fielding. Inzamam's not been setting a good example with this.
    Last edited by 16 tins of Spam; 21-01-2004 at 04:18 PM.


  5. #5
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Originally posted by Hard Harry
    I reckon the only major blot on their record is fielding. Inzamam's not been setting a good example with this.
    I was thinking, this guy is so careless about his own fielding, he probably doesnt even think about the fielding of others. Quite funny the way Inzi is captaining, carefree, lazy comfort.

  6. #6
    State Captain krkode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,781
    Originally posted by Pratyush
    I was thinking, this guy is so careless about his own fielding, he probably doesnt even think about the fielding of others. Quite funny the way Inzi is captaining, carefree, lazy comfort.
    I agree. Pick a team from 1997 and that would be acceptable. The Pakistan of today have to really buckle up...

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    haha ok i may be proved wrong by this BUT

    Pakistan dont have the batsmen that india have, so they wont score as many runs.

    without the runs the pressure will be on their batsmen, now barring farther injury the aussie attack will be the full strength, McGrath, warne as well as Gillespie and lee or whomever else

    they dont have a dravid or a tendulkar or even a laxmann in their team

    its certainly a big ask and it puts alot of pressure on their young team
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  8. #8
    International Regular NikhilN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New Jersey.United States
    Posts
    3,517
    reckon they can go one better
    what are they talking about?Do you really think pakistan have a chance of making 705/7 DEC.(notice the DEC)not saying that pakistan have a bad team or anything but really...
    liveyalifenikhilsway@hotmail.com -MSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Hello and welcome back
    Rain has stopped and palyers are back in the middle
    Play is about to stop

  9. #9
    State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Auckland,N.Z
    Posts
    1,392
    Well the pakistanis lost an o.d.i series against the kiwis,how are they gonna beat the aussies?

    just a question.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120


    RIP Fardin 1990-2006

  10. #10
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    I doubt it.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  11. #11
    International Regular NikhilN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New Jersey.United States
    Posts
    3,517
    Originally posted by BlackCap_Fan
    Well the pakistanis lost an o.d.i series against the kiwis,how are they gonna beat the aussies?

    just a question.
    well we are talking about a test here and still i dont think they can do it in test ether

  12. #12
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,109
    Originally posted by sachintendulkar
    what are they talking about?Do you really think pakistan have a chance of making 705/7 DEC.(notice the DEC)not saying that pakistan have a bad team or anything but really...
    If Pakistan bowl well, they probably won't need 700 to defend.

    Their strength lies in their explosive bowling led by Shoaib Akhtar.

  13. #13
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Originally posted by sachintendulkar
    well we are talking about a test here and still i dont think they can do it in test ether
    That's what people said about India and we all know how that turned out.

    IMO Pakistan definitely has better bowling resources than India, but the batting is far less experienced and consequently less effective. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Pakistan competed well in the series.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  14. #14
    State Captain krkode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,781
    Originally posted by jamesryfler
    If Pakistan bowl well, they probably won't need 700 to defend.

    Their strength lies in their explosive bowling led by Shoaib Akhtar.
    I agree. When bowling well the Pakistani attack can strike with great purpose. Speed, and strength - both work in their favor. Akhtar will be the key. He's destroyed and been destroyed by all good teams.

    But when they're not going well, we all know what can happen...(read: World Cup 2003 Ind v Pak )

  15. #15
    International 12th Man deeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    perth, australia
    Posts
    1,661
    Originally posted by age_master


    they dont have a dravid or a tendulkar or even a laxmann in their team

    inzamam and youhana r proven world class batsman...they also have quiet a number of up coming talented players who if in the right mindste,will play extremely well and push the aussies to the brink

    I think the main thing is wether mcgrath and warne will return,and wether they will play well....if they do, aus will win comfortably...if not, it'll b too close 2 call...PROVIDED the ****'s have the right mindset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •