• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical Discussion- Best batting all-rounders after Sobers and Kallis

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I know.

Actually it's tricky.

On test cricket alone, Grace is not even no. 3. He must be below that.

But on FC Cricket alone, he's clearly better than Kallis and arguably even Sobers.
I dont think there is an argument that could be made otherwise. If there is then Id like to hear it.

bagapath

International Captain
I dont think there is an argument that could be made otherwise. If there is then Id like to hear it.
Not necessarily an argument. But we should consider the fact that round arm/underarm bowling styles weren't fully replaced by what we now call bowling until late 19th century. We don't know, at least I don't, if Grace played the same game we watch now. It may be essentially the same in spirit-runs, wickets, overs etc-but was it technically the same game we are talking about?

Last edited:

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
'Sobers and Kallis' is a misnomer. Kallis is moderately better than Worrell and Dexter as a batting all rounder and pretty far from Sobers.
Kallis must be the only cricketer that ever existed that could bowl 90 mph and not be considered a proper bowler

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just to prove you can do anything with stats

Doug Walter Av 48 bat 29 ball but only 49 wickets from 74 matches, 19 run differential between averages

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
3 100s in 96 innings does not make a batting allrounder.

Walters had 15 x 100s in 125 innings, it is the single 5 for, that probably rules him out

Hammond is very much in Walters category...more than part timer but not quite all rounder, almost need a different category
Batting Almostrounders or batting partnership breakers