• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Oh and here's the first day from the oval 1934. Bradman and Ponsford make some runs. They then score some more runs. It was like they simply couldn't stop making runs.

Also has the slow-mo that shows Clark's action as being a bit... unethical.

the big bambino

International Captain
Gregory and McDonald, Lindwall and Miller, O'Reilly and Grimmett, Lillee and Thommo, McGrath and Warne, Watson and Starfighter.

the big bambino

International Captain
The comment about Allen is pretty accurate. He achieved his fastest pace when playing consistently as his two tours of Australia suggests.

Starfighter

Think this may have been posted before, but who cares? It's Verity's match. Wally Hammond with a pretty decent one handed grab.

Starfighter

Does anyone know what the documentary this was from is called? I'd seen it around but can't remember the name, or find it now.

I did think of this incident when reading that Hendriks said that England's complaint about the dangerous Sabina Park pitch in 1986 was unfounded. You'd think he'd know something of the dangers of short-pitched bowling.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Bit of an odd one this one. A clip on what was at the time a state-of-the-art bowling machine, certainly compared to the mechanical monster I saw in one of these videos some years ago.

Starfighter

The year he made his test debut. To think he was still playing in 1976, although he never really made an impact at test level.

Starfighter

Actually 1953.

Lindwall takes 5/54 as England play a typically English innings to be bowled out for 167. Note the supposed 'jubilation' as Hutton is bowled second ball. Compared to the amount of arsehattery that would take place these days it's almost a non event.

watson

Banned
I love Cowdrey's batting style. Very gracious.
Sobers raved about Cowdrey's talent in his biography and told him personally to be more confident and aggressive. If Cowdrey had taken Sobers' advice then I reckon that he would have averaged well over 50. Looking at footage from the 60s he had so much time when playing the quicks.

Starfighter

A rare long video from the 1951 Ashes. 3:22 shows Washbrook walking off after being caught by Miller. Apparently it was a great catch but Pathe rarely shows dismissals so we just get the aftermath. We see part of Miller's over that broke the back of English innings. At 5:21 Hutton walks off after falling lbw and three balls afterwards Compton is bowled for a duck. Parkhouse is then beaten on the seventh and eight balls. At 7:25 Reg Simpson walks off having being caught by Loxton off Miller.

Starfighter

Charlie McCartney scores a century before lunch, Bill Woodfull is hit on the foot. Tate, Geary and Kilner are all seen bowling. Headingley, 1926.

Starfighter

Australia play Warwickshire on the 1926 tour. According to the description this was the first time during the tour Woodfull and Ponsford opened together. The fast bowler with the Peter Pollock style stiff armed approach and slinging action is Edward Hewetson, so far the most obscure player I've identified in these films.