• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Bit more from the middle of the 20th century. Lindwall, Bradman, Barnes, Bedser, Morris, Edrich, and the great Hutton.

Plenty of footage of Lindwall bowling.

Also a bit of Grace, Trumper, Ranji...

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Yes that's an excellent video, especially of Bedser and Lindwall bowling. Just wished they hadn't cut-off Bill Johnston in mid run-up as I haven't been able to find any good footage of him in action.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There used to be a great video titled "Chucking in the 1950s and 60s" on youtube but it got taken down. Covered the Meckiff throwing controversy, and had footage of some of the worst bowling actions of the times. There was a guy called Gordon Rorke who dragged his front foot a yard beyond the line. Was an amazing video, would be grateful if someone could track it down.

watson

Banned

One ball from him here around the 2.50 mark.
Thanks Monk, haven't seen that video before.

Statham's bowling from that camera angle doesn't look too bad. Normally he tends to look unco' when his arm shoots straight up in the air at the beginning of it's rotation.

I noticed that Johnston and Johnson both bowl off about nine paces and surprisingly looked around the same pace, although I'm sure Johnston was a good deal faster than his captain in reality.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice bit of work from all the contributors to this thread thus far. Really enjoyed it. Cheers lads.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Statham's bowling from that camera angle doesn't look too bad. Normally he tends to look unco' when his arm shoots straight up in the air at the beginning of it's rotation.

I noticed that Johnston and Johnson both bowl off about nine paces and surprisingly looked around the same pace, although I'm sure Johnston was a good deal faster than his captain in reality.

Good stuff.
Statham was double jointed - could do all sorts of strange things, the weirdest I saw was taking his sweater off by putting one arm behind his back and pulling it up and over his head - I wonder if its on film anywhere as it was quite bizarre

Red

Good stuff.
Bill Johnston bowled both pace and spin, so he might be bowling spin here.

Edit- though the keeper's back...

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
:laugh:

Nirvana are the Harold Larwood of the music world - probably overrated if they weren't so iconic.
Well nirvana suck but Larwood spear headed two English wins on Aussie soil. Historically it's a hard enough achievement to do it once. Larwood did it when we had quite a batting side. He was srsly good

Red

Well nirvana suck but Larwood spear headed two English wins on Aussie soil. Historically it's a hard enough achievement to do it once. Larwood did it when we had quite a batting side. He was srsly good
Not a fan of Nirvana?

watson

Banned
Here is a 40 minute documentary made during the mid 60s. It features a lengthy, but rather stilted interview between Benaud and Bradman followed by a short demo in the nets by Bradman himself. Most of the video is taken up by slow motion action of Lindwall, Miller, Davidson, McKenzie, and Benaud as they give their respective masterclasses. Davo's is the longest and best Masterclass, but Miller swings the ball better I reckon. Seen from a keeper's eye view Benaud's standard leg-spinner has to be just as good as Warne's. Enjoy!

BTW It's much better if you can sync the video to your TV as the quality is excellent.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Some footage of Dempster, Duleep, and Woolley batting in 1931, Eng V NZ. Not great, but still gives you a reasonable idea of the players style.

[video]http://www.movietone.com/N_POPUP_Player.cfm?action=playVideo&assetno=84223[/video]

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
me and 2 other people on another site did a nirvana rankings countdown thread where we each ranked their 80-odd songs and came up with a combined ranking. where did you sleep last night was number 1 (it was about 7 on my personal ranking list)

Red

I'd love to have seen what he would've done had he lived.