• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Bob Taylor wasn't it? I'm trying to remember when he actually played against Chappell. Can't have happened very often.
Taylor and Chappell played throughout the 1979-80 and 1982-3 Aus v Eng Test series, though Underwood didn't play in the latter series. The stumping was in Australia's second innings of the 1st Test in 1979-80 (at Perth).

listento_me

U19 Captain
The first video is a great watch. Some of those deliveries look rapid too, no doubt helped by the poor resolution and cameras at the time. It's just sad that film came to cricket too late and we don't have many matches or highlights filmed from that era.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

A collection of 60's highlights narrated by Benaud. The Eng vs WI stuff near the end is great. Hall and Griffith look searingly fast.
The best Griffith I previously saw was on this video (complete with muzak) and he doesn't look quite as fast. Something to do with the angles maybe?
Also highlights from the '63 Lord's test 20th June and 21 June.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

A great little vid that I don't think has been posted yet but it was uploaded to youtube many years ago so I'm sure a lot of us have seen it

I love all candid interviews from the '30s because they are so rare to find on the whole let alone a cricketing one. Its always kind of eerie while being heaps interesting at the same time watching these old vids. Some nice insight into what kind of person Bradman was in his youth, as well as showcasing some nice shots

watson

Banned
Just watched 'Part 2'. How good was Dexter's timing during his cameo 66! Barrington also looked good. The footage of Pollock was excellent, but seeing Bland's brilliant runouts was just as enjoyable. Also, liked the snipets of Peter Pollock bowling, and Simpson batting/bowling. Just wish there was more.

Nice find mr_mister.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Seeing as everyone says he's nothing more than a foot note in history, I thought I'd post this highly informative but nevertheless heavily edited video. The full version lasts 15 years, because Allan Border's whole career was one giant highlights reel.

By way of analysis, just look at his awesomeness.

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain

After having to carry Australia for 15 years, through some of its toughest times in history, no wonder his feet and legs are playing up !

But he doesn't even mention the reason why they are crook.

Wish a few players today had his attitude.

:)

Burgey

I wanted to put this here because in my time watching cricket I still think the summer of 1979-80 was probably the best Australian cricket season I've seen. It was the first season post-WSC and Australia had Kim Hughes and TOTAB coming into their own, along with the returning stard like Marsh, Lillee and the two Chappells (Ian having come out of retirement again, he was a shadow of his former self but still good to actually see him on the park); England had Botham, Boycs, Randall, Underwood and Willis while the Windies were really just beginning their period of dominance and featured the original fearsome foursome. This series was the first they ever won in Australia.

A couple of things out of this video:

1. Why the actual **** would GC win the toss and bowl in Adelaide?; and
2. Dat WI top six.

Probably the strongest they fielded in their whole era of dominance all the way down. I know players like Richardson and Gomes came along a bit later, but the sides they had with Logie and others in them were, imo considerably weaker across the board than this line up of Greenidge, Haynes, Viv, Alvin, Lloyd and Rowe. If they'd still had that line up by the time Dujon debuted they'd have seriously contended for the strongest top seven in cricket history imo.

watson

Banned
I remember the 79/80 season like it was yesterday. I was at the SCG when Chappell scored his 98 not out to help beat England. Botham gave Chappell a long hop so he could finish 100 not out - but it didn't quite clear the fence. Underwood bowled his heart out and gave Chappell a torrid time but lacked that little bit of luck to break through.

watson

Banned
Iirc this catch by Randall was the catch of the season. If not, it must have been very close. Effectively gave England the game over the West Indies too.

Last edited:

Burgey

Iirc this catch by Randall was the catch of the season. If not, it must have been very close. Effectively gave England the game over the West Indies too.

I have a stupid memory for stuff like this. That catch of Randall''s finished second to a crazy c&b by Botham off Alvin K in an ODI where he knocked the ball up as it was smashed back past him, turned around, dived and caught it one handed facing back towards the umpire. Can still hear Tony Cozier saying "Even Kallicharan is applauding the catch!" as he walked off doing just that.

vcs

How come WI were playing England in Australia (in that Randall catch video)?

EDIT : Stupid question.. it probably was an ODI from the tri-series. The white clothing made me think Test cricket.

Last edited: