• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ever wondered what it would have been like to visit a county cricket match just before WWI? Find out in these clips of the crowd galavanting at the Kent vs Sussex match at Canterbury in 1913.

watson

Banned
Thanks Harsh, that's great to see Ranji properly for the first time!

Watched the video several times, but I'm still not sure what to make of his style. Particularly like his wristy slog over midwicket though. All timing.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks Harsh, that's great to see Ranji properly for the first time!

Watched the video several times, but I'm still not sure what to make of his style. Particularly like his wristy slog over midwicket though. All timing.
Pretty sure it's a set up. Still great wrist work for the time, must be said :)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff. Richie certainly had a wonderful liquid-like flow to his bowling & you can tell he's putting a fair few revs on those deliveries of his. Excellent diving catch at 2:10

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Great stuff Harsh..For such a great player i was surprised by the lack of balance when he played some strokes..May be the Prince had a quick "baang" before the nets..;)

watson

Banned
Here John Arlott presents and narrates a 50 min documentary on the Ashes - 1877 to 1977. It's quite a nice package of the usual famous black and white footage of the old greats; except for some amateur footage of the 1938 Nottingham Test which features Stan McCabe's 232 and is very rare.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Here is some excellent footage of Bedser, Edrich, and DVP Wright bowling during the 3rd Ashes Test, 1948. The round arm bowler whose action resembles Lindwall is Edrich I think. DVP Wright is obviously quick for a leggie and looks very good at first glance in my opinion.

Then there is footage of Lindwall and Miller bowling. Note how fast Miller's bouncer is. There is also a fair amount of action showing Dooland and Toshak. Both pick up wickets bowling to attacking fields. The highlight is Dooland taking a blinding caught and bowled to dismiss Wally Hammond. The 15 minute reel finishes up with McCool bowling a couple of innocuous overs.

Impressions?

[video]http://*********.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00093000/00093085.mp4.m3u8[/video]
Bret Hart gives them 4/10. Average Blokes.

watson

Banned
Here we have Gideon Haigh giving a lecture at the SCG about that photo of Victor Trumper, and other stills from George Beldam and C.B. Fry's pictorial book.

Haven't actually watched the lecture yet, but given the quality of the speaket it's bound to be good.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Great keepers make it look so easy. And what a tease Underwood's delivery was too.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Top work with the gloves. Chappell almost made it back too when you look at the final replay from behind.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Top work with the gloves. Chappell almost made it back too when you look at the final replay from behind.
Bob Taylor wasn't it? I'm trying to remember when he actually played against Chappell. Can't have happened very often.